Apps being drawn on screen are eating away at my FPS

Hello all.

First off, my conditions:

I exclusively use CM. I use gbw mod and i've used ilja's night mod ever since it dropped reshade. My fps was ALWAYS mid 100s... 120-170 fps you name it. With apps on the screen mind you.

But after updating windows 10 tonight, my performance with apps on screen is FIFTY FIVE FREAKING FPS... 55 FPS FOR ODIN'S SAKE i'm furious right now at whatever's causing this. As soon as i hide my apps, it goes back to 150-170 fps... If i enable apps one by one, they all eat away the same amount of fps, 10-12 fps one by one. No single app is to blame here :( FUDGE!!!! I hate when i can't pin point a bug. Also, my main_t is %98 in the pits, 55 on track... and i'm talking about nords. Not a small track. But as soon as i enable apps one by one, my main_t increases too...

Anything else i need to tell you guys? Any info you need? My head is literally freaking spinning right now.

Please almight @kunos you wrote this code and know of the treachery called windows 10. Any ideas about why? :(

Cannot help, but had similar problems with win10 updates:(

Why Microsoft cannot separate win10 gaming
from “ i’ll download a lot of useless updates to you”
In the hope that it will bugger up your gaming
enjoyment.:thumbsdown:

In fact why don’t they have a separate win10
software with just the basics for gaming, and only necessary updates, which must be Representative quite a large number of people.

Just had to have a rant:rolleyes:

And another thing :-
( all windows updates of late seem to give me a load of grief).
There is always that message that says “ updates ready” I usually ignore it, but eventually I have a mad moment and press update; then spend a couple of weeks regretting it and not understanding my lunacy.:poop::poop:

Apps will always eat fps, most people don't notice because modern hardware tends to give crazy fps in AC. If you run multi-GPU with 3x2k like I'm trying to you soon notice, they take about 15fps each for me. Your main_t use also looks like mine using crossfire, oddly.

Did you try using a vanilla install without any of the shader patches?

Apps will always eat fps, most people don't notice because modern hardware tends to give crazy fps in AC. If you run multi-GPU with 3x2k like I'm trying to you soon notice, they take about 15fps each for me. Your main_t use also looks like mine using crossfire, oddly.

Did you try using a vanilla install without any of the shader patches?

I tried it by removing night mod (not a single trace of it left) And the results were exactly the same. I'll try again tonight by removing gbw and using vanilla launcher.

Not sure if this may be your problem (I sort of doubt it, but...)

Last windows update turned "full screen optimization" back on after I had turned it off.
I definitely notice a difference with it off (smooth as butter) verses with it on (weird little microstutters out of the blue for no apparent reason)

This is probably a good place to point out to anyone running Win7 and borderless windowed mode, that their games will run better if you disable Desktop Composition ( in advanced performance options ). I doubt there's something similiar in Win10 because it doesn't use Aero, but I don't use Win10 much so I don't know.

Welp, i first did a vanilla install, tried with everything vanilla, including the launcher... Same stuff

I then kept that vanilla install, didnot install a single mod and then proceeded to to start nvidia DDU... Did a clean install of the latest drivers. Same stuff...

Went ahead, installed gbw and night mod, maybe 2-3 fps loss but same stuff....

As soon as i enable my apps, my fps gets cut in half. From 132 fps to about 58 fps on brands hatch.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR UPDATES MICROSOFT.

Sorry for the late reply btw, i wanted to make sure i tried everything i could at first.

Guys, can you please check what's your main_t with 9 apps on screen at once?

I use:

rsr
delta
laps
tire
gears
pedals
trackmap
essentials
ers management

God dammit something smells here. I ran these apps on the screen FOR YEARS and my fps was always hovering above 100 when hotlapping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's due to the Intel security microcode patches?
Hmmm... that "there was this huge vulnerability in our systems but we just found out about it and now you're gonna lose your performance" stuff? But wasn't that supposed to cost us about 10, maybe 20% of our performance? I'm talking about %100 here my man, from 100 fps to 55....

Welp, i first did a vanilla install, tried with everything vanilla, including the launcher... Same stuff

I then kept that vanilla install, didnot install a single mod and then proceeded to to start nvidia DDU... Did a clean install of the latest drivers. Same stuff...

Went ahead, installed gbw and night mod, maybe 2-3 fps loss but same stuff....

As soon as i enable my apps, my fps gets cut in half. From 132 fps to about 58 fps on brands hatch.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR UPDATES MICROSOFT.

Sorry for the late reply btw, i wanted to make sure i tried everything i could at first.

Guys, can you please check what's your main_t with 9 apps on screen at once?

I use:

rsr
delta
laps
tire
gears
pedals
trackmap
essentials
ers management

God dammit something smells here. I ran these apps on the screen FOR YEARS and my fps was always hovering above 100 when hotlapping.
I play AC on Ultra Settings and have about 6-7 Apps running, and have my FPS locked at 100 FPS without any Drops. I had the same issue with low FPS and short freezes about a year ago. In the end it was an outdated App who caused all the FPS issues. Try to delete every App you have installed, start AC and open the FPS App and take note how your system handles it, then install one App, and do it again. Repeat it for all Apps you use. That's how i figured out, which App was the probkem. Maybe it is an App who isn't compatible anymore and causes this issue on your system as well.

I play AC on Ultra Settings and have about 6-7 Apps running, and have my FPS locked at 100 FPS without any Drops. I had the same issue with low FPS and short freezes about a year ago. In the end it was a outdated App who caused all the FPS issues. Try to delete every App you have installed, start AC and open the FPS App and take note how your system handles it, then install one App, and do it again. Repeat it for all Apps you use. That's how i figured out, which App was the probkem. Maybe it is an App who isn't compatible anymore and causes this issue on your system as well.
Is it safe to delete native apps though?(i know i'll have to get the newest version via steam file verify integrity) Because rsr is the only add-on app i use. The rest are all native AC apps.

I think the quickest way to pinpoint the problem would be to cut 20gb off of your hard drive, or better use a different one and install win 7.
Just put the drivers in and run steam.
It should work if the drives have the same letters for each windows without any problems.

I use dual boot since I touch computers. 98/2000, xp/win7, win7/10. Every time something goes nuts and I can't find out why I just run the other windows and see if it's any different.

I think the quickest way to pinpoint the problem would be to cut 20gb off of your hard drive, or better use a different one and install win 7.
Just put the drivers in and run steam.
It should work if the drives have the same letters for each windows without any problems.

I use dual boot since I touch computers. 98/2000, xp/win7, win7/10. Every time something goes nuts and I can't find out why I just run the other windows and see if it's any different.
That's what i'll do in about 2 weeks (too broke to buy another drive now :D)

BUT... something just happened. After heeding the suggestion of removing any non-native apps, i tried to disable the apps one by one again. I thought "you already did that dips***t" but i decided to give it another go and i noticed something. Maybe it was already there and i missed it in anger i don't know but while all other apps eat away 10, maybe 12 fps, the native tires app for ac eats away 33-35 FPS ON ITS OWN ALONE!!! Now i get 115 fps while hotlapping with these 7 apps on screen:

delta
laps
gears
pedals
trackmap
essentials
ers management

As soon as i add "tires app" to that list, i drop down to 79-82 fps. Tried on laguna, brands and nords. Desert, small forest and big forest.

I'm actually kind of happy now. Back to the 100s. I will miss the tire app though :(

Last edited:
Kinda irrelevant but I can confirm that it's related exclusively to windows 10. My friend on win10 has the same problem, his apps eat away 40-60fps and stutter/very high main_t usage while on windows 7 apps cause max 5-10fps drop.

Kinda irrelevant but I can confirm that it's related exclusively to windows 10. My friend on win10 has the same problem, his apps eat away 40-60fps and stutter/very high main_t usage while on windows 7 apps cause max 5-10fps drop.
Dude, that is not irrelevant at all!!! It confirms my issue is not with the game or mods but rather with windows. Like i said a lot already, this happened to me after a recent update. Can you ask your friend if he's on the absolute latest build like me?

BTW let this be a lesson to you guys, do not use w10 and be a sucker like me...

I am this friend and I'm using 0.1.23 preview no. 11 Shader Lights and I have Win 10 1709 currently (I don't have the need to update the system). Every more "advanced" app eats like 10 fps. AC's default tires app eat only 7-8 fps tho so I don't think this specific app is the problem. I have i5 6600k, 16GB of ram and GTX 1070 and I have maximum graphic settings with GBW weather. The other problem is Shader Lights Mod itself. It changes my MAIN_T from 30-70% (depends on map etc) to roughly 95% all the time (even on sunny clear map). I don't really know if it's Win 10 problem or it is something else.

Dude, that is not irrelevant at all!!! It confirms my issue is not with the game or mods but rather with windows. Like i said a lot already, this happened to me after a recent update. Can you ask your friend if he's on the absolute latest build like me?

BTW let this be a lesson to you guys, do not use w10 and be a sucker like me...
I used to say the same but got told that all the other "new" Windows editions had the same amount of issues. Somehow most people forgot about it, or like me, weren't hit by them.
I have to say that I moved from XP on my first PC to win 7 service pack 1, which was already a few years old by then.
I think win 10 only makes it look like it would have massive issues because you can't deactivate all updates as easy as you used to do and also because way more people moved to win 10 before it was/is polished.

On the other hand: I still hate win 10 so let's hunt it down with some good old pitchforks :roflmao::sneaky:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back