Anyone moving to AMD Powerful Radeon RX 6000 Series Big Navi ?

All depends on how much you can get if for vs a 3080ti.

The amd cards have design weaknesses especially in sim racing. Memory bandwidth bottleneck if you use triple screens, lacks the optimisations in iracing for VR and triple monitors, acc is also better on nvidia because unreal engine doesn’t run as well on amd, though this has improved with frequent driver updates. Ray tracing is not much better than a 2080ti but it works, just don’t get it if you want to play the latest ray-traced AAA games. If you use a single monitor or ultra wide I think it’s still a good choice however.

The in built encoder for video streaming isn’t as good either, although I hear they have done a major driver and Obs update recently that has closed the gap.

Also if you want to use it for work that uses CUDA cores AMD doesn’t yet fully support those programs although they are working on their version called HIP which is only supported in Blender at the moment. I.e. for GPU rendering, video editing, 3d rendering etc etc.

But they are still powerful cards, so as long as you know what your getting (say you are sticking to a single 1440p monitor) and the price is right (a lot less than the nvidia counterpart) then yes it can be worth it just do your homework first.

For reference I have a 6900xt which I only use to play games on a tv at 4K and I’ve really enjoyed using it. Only the raytracing performance has been annoying really, although FSR has improved this issue tbh. Not used it for sim racing as I have triples and use a 3080ti for that. I did a test on a single screen a while ago and the two cards are very evenly matched most of the time, it’s the triples that made the big difference in favour of the 3080ti.

With upcoming Electric Energy crisis (1000€ /MWh for 2023 in Europe - FYI we paid 80€ last year so x12 !!!) and the fall of bitcoin I guess this will be the end of cryptomining for many people so perhaps more graphic cards available on market.

Yeah I get the feeling especially in Europe this increase in power requirement for the next gen gpus will not be popular and will put this issue under the spotlight.

In the UK for example if the government does not intervene soon it’s going to be rediculous. Think the cap is going to be over £3500 on the 1st oct and fears that it will go over £5000 around Jan. Mining is dead in the water here. I think there is going to be a big regulatory change to isolate gas from electricity price completely unfair for countries who have invested in renewables or other independent sources.

That actually is the other point about the 6900xt over the 3080ti and 3090 in that it uses around 100w less power btw at stock.

Yeah I get the feeling especially in Europe this increase in power requirement for the next gen gpus will not be popular and will put this issue under the spotlight.

In the UK for example if the government does not intervene soon it’s going to be rediculous. Think the cap is going to be over £3500 on the 1st oct and fears that it will go over £5000 around Jan. Mining is dead in the water here. I think there is going to be a big regulatory change to isolate gas from electricity price completely unfair for countries who have invested in renewables or other independent sources.

That actually is the other point about the 6900xt over the 3080ti and 3090 in that it uses around 100w less power btw at stock.
I don't play ACC any more, my main interest is AMS2 and AC (and may include AC2 depending... I also use a single 4K monitor and an HP G1 headset. Otherwise I don't care for any of the other frills and whistles. And the lower power usage is also a bonus, so I think the RX6950 would suit me better than the nvidia card. btw, thanks for the detailed reply.

In a similar situation, I use VR for simracing and stuck between 6950XT or 3090 (pricing isn't far off from each other at the mo).
Same with the CPU, either 5900x/5800x3d (weird price for that atm)/12700KF, totally unsure (having some extra cores is useful for my work).

In a similar situation, I use VR for simracing and stuck between 6950XT or 3090 (pricing isn't far off from each other at the mo).
Same with the CPU, either 5900x/5800x3d (weird price for that atm)/12700KF, totally unsure (having some extra cores is useful for my work).
Would you benefit from the Nvidia CUDA cores as well for work? If so then the answer is easy get a 3090. I will always say get Nvidia if your not sure as AMD is a rollercoaster depending on each game / sim and you need to know exactly which games it likes and doesn’t. Intel 12700K as well if more cores are useful. You get both faster single core performance and similar performance to the 5900x. 5800x3d if it’s only gaming as again it’s magic in games but slower than a normal 5800x for multi core.

But again new gen AMD cpus are being release in like 2 weeks…
For example 7700x will likely edge out and the 7900x will likely smash all your choices. But need to wait for testing first end of this month.

Last edited:
I'm of the same opinion to wait for the new series of GPUs (and CPUs) if you're not in a real rush. GPU mining is dead for the moment, so we shouldn't see a repeat of 2020. Oversupply is the big issue AMD and NVIDIA are going to face, and that might work to the consumer's advantage.

There's also the performance bumps of the next gen to factor in. A next gen mid tier card might perform nearly as well as the top tier cards of the current gen for less money.

I need to build a new dedicated PC for my sim rig. I'm eagerly waiting to see what new tech everyone has up their sleeves. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back