Any Cruze drivers tried the Cruze in R3E?

Connor Caple

Slowest Racer in Town...
I drove a Chevy Cruze for 3 years, even took it on several track-days. I can make the one in Race 07 WTCC pack feel reasonably like it.

How does the one in R3E compare? I'd be willing to throw some money at the WTCC R3E pack if the car is up to scratch.

Please, only answer if you've taken a real Cruze round a track and have the experience with which to compare it. ;)

I have discussed the lock problems in game in other threads. There is also a sort of 'deadzone' in the centre of the steering that cannot be dialed out by any of the settings that I have found.

I am currently using 540/11 in game because at a more normal setting it feels like an F1 steering wheel! Yes, I know how to do the maths and 540/2/11 is not pretty is it? I have dropped it as low as 540/9 before now to feel like I had more end to end lock, but the numbers just don't make sense. I even tried changing the in-game 'displayed wheel' lock to see if that made any difference but it doesn't whether on 180 or 540.

The default in-game setting of 540/23 is okay in just about every other racing sim, but in R3E it feels like you have about 120 degrees of total lock and the wheel is trying to rip your wrists off :D

Everyone's setup is down to personal choices, but if you think you have a setup that feels planted and behaves well on track, feel free to post it as I'm beyond wasting time messing about posting and linking screenshots of irrelevant material because the basic feeling is wrong, not the setup.

I know you're going to argue otherwise, so go ahead. It makes no difference to the floaty steering whatever you do to the setup.

If you want to see it in action, go to the Hillclimb course, select the Cruze, add your favourite super-planted setup, switch to 'behind the car view' (no, I don't race in that) and watch the car react to the steering input - it is dire, it seems to pivot around some non-wheel point.

Its not just the cruze the Honda also suffer from twitchiness.
But you cant compare a race spec car to your road car. Its just not logical
But the lock has do be pretty low to get a stable fwd
It wasn't a standard road car, as I said earlier in this thread, it was the 1.6 Turbo Factory car. I'm a petrol-head, my cars have never been standard since I had my first races in my teens in an old Hillman Imp :D

I really miss that car, but we needed the money for health related reasons and it had to go. If I ever make enough cash again I'll have to set up one of the 6DoF rigs to kick me around while I drive. :p

I sometimes just don't feel like I can explain the problem well enough when working with the Sim cars comparison to track cars. *shrugs* Sorry, Andi. :(

I still like driving R3E and I still enjoy the road surface physics when I feel them.

The DTM 2013 cars are a handful, but I know that's how they are meant to be as is obvious from any footage you ever see from onboard cams or in-race cams and I still enjoy driving those. Maybe I'll just have to switch to the DTM and other cars until they sort out the physics on the WTCC set. (Tried DTM around Monza and I'm about 8 seconds off the pace, as usual for me in sims these days - maybe I'll improve in a year or so.)

Have fun guys. :thumbsup:

honest advice .... sims arent cars , its not going to kill you (well unless your online sat in a metal rig and the telephone cable get hits by lightning , and then youd be unlucky ...
i tried for ages to get a feeling that was that car that real feeling ; i really think it would be easier to get the solution to Beal's Conjecture .. so i decided i was going to get it so it told me stuff, through the ffb etc that was consistant and i understood ... it became a shed load easier at that point
(just to say i just tried the cruze at lakeview , with all the arm breaking weight setup stuff i could do in ffb and a couple of tweaks on the set up ; first run i got 4th , still a shed load of time behind the leader , but
with fwd in sim throttle balance and blipping is really important on down shifts , turning in on a dead throtlle , then chasing it through the corner as such , TBH the cruze doesnt feel that different to the honda , if you want sometime , grab me we will head onto teamspeak and pick a server and chat and practice together ...

anyway

Later

Andi

I turned the FFB up too and gave it a go. It feels more connected, but my arms are aching now :unsure: Do we have an app for R3E so I can see if it's clipping at those settings?

I don't normally do Hill-climbs and I'm guessing you must know the course to get a time that quick. To me, every hill's crest brings a new and terrifying surprise on LakeView :roflmao:

I gave it a go though and I think I'm about 34 seconds behind you at position 30/35. Probably because I don't go rallying, which seems to be the skillset that course wants. (I was just using that course as an example of the steering feedback because it is so twisty and makes it more noticeable than a normal track.)

I'll happily jump on the server with you sometime for chat and sim-studying as I find this very different to a real car on a real track.:thumbsup:

Connor I do sympathise with you there is something with rre physics, and its not until you try another sim directly that its obvious.

But if that's rre weak point at the moment I would say its strong points are pretty much everything else.

I hope the physics can be improved in time.

I just did a back to back compare , with the Bmw GT3 at Monza in both AC and RRe. To be honest theres not a lot in the physics between both. AC you can feel the car better underneath you, but also it seemed way easier to drive than RRe version. This is no assists and full sim mode. Again if I ranked the physics

1-RF2
2-GSCE
3-AC/RRe

I turned the FFB up too and gave it a go. It feels more connected, but my arms are aching now :unsure: Do we have an app for R3E so I can see if it's clipping at those settings?

I don't normally do Hill-climbs and I'm guessing you must know the course to get a time that quick. To me, every hill's crest brings a new and terrifying surprise on LakeView :roflmao:

I gave it a go though and I think I'm about 34 seconds behind you at position 30/35. Probably because I don't go rallying, which seems to be the skillset that course wants. (I was just using that course as an example of the steering feedback because it is so twisty and makes it more noticeable than a normal track.)

I'll happily jump on the server with you sometime for chat and sim-studying as I find this very different to a real car on a real track.:thumbsup:
@CC, have you given the Cruze in Copa Petrobras de Marcus a go, would be interesting what you think of the Reiza physics for the Cruze. To me the Cruze drives/behaves similarly between the R3E WTCC and the Marcus versions, some of the differences come down to FFB tweaks.
As for the Cruze in R3E, I can't feel anything resembling "twitchiness" so I have to believe it comes down to a FFB or a Logitech issue. I can throw this car around and catch slides, I can't get it to perform like I would like but that is partly my lack of setup ability of FWD cars (not my preference IRL and games).

I think we are just trying to understand what CC feels in the R3E version of the Cruze, and what "may be" the difference on how it feels based on equipment or setup.
@CC, I know you like Race07 so I had to give that some laps with the Cruze on Brands Hatch. With "my" setup, the Cruze is much "twitchier" in Race07 than in R3E or Reiza's Marcas, harder to drive. It's debatable on which version is more true-to-life, maybe Mark Reynolds can comment as he stated earlier in this thread "I wrote the physics for both Race07 WTCC and R3E WTCC cars.".
Good debate...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back