AMS Modding - Tracks (Work in progress)

Mugello W.I.P. - test road X5-
200ecu8.jpg

b99wo.jpg

24ffrjo.jpg

Hey Patrick

What do the different seasons change for the tracks??
Is it just a change to what time the sun sets??? or does it also change track grip??

Colder track temps doesn't mean less grip. Track temperatures doesn't change the track grip value in the .tdf file.

It's the tires that response to temperatures. It's most likly you'll have more grip during winter then on a hot summer day. (Less tire heat.)

If you watched the 24h lemans: Happy hour is at sun rise. Track/air is coldest and moist is evaporating. Cool dry air = Good conditions for mechanics, brakes and tires.
During the 24h zolder fastest lap times were recorded at night.
During my trackday at Spa in march last year. It was near freezing and a clear sunny sky. i've set the best lap times at Spa. But this was more due cold air = more power in the engine. :)

During my trackday at Spa in march last year. It was near freezing and a clear sunny sky. i've set the best lap times at Spa. But this was more due cold air = more power in the engine. :)

Very true. I've been to a lot of F3 meetings over the years and at power circuits those cars often seemed to be quicker in the first cooler session of the day. I guess the air restrictors make them very sensitive to air density whereas some cars benefit from more rubber going down so would be quicker in later sessions. Environmental modelling in consumer sims still seems to be at an early stage for this kind of thing.

Environmental modelling in consumer sims still seems to be at an early stage for this kind of thing.

I wonder if the limit is still in how much can you actually model in "real time".

Computer power has come a long way for sure, but the number of computations required to model "all" of the variables that would make an effect is very large and you need to do them practically instantaneously.

Look at AC... a lot several of the common (physics) details have been considered unimportant (or necessary compromise) by the dev's to keep the frame times to a minimum (imo).

Good info in this vid in case you have not seen it yet. (jump to 0:47 to make my point)

Last edited:
you guys should not forget that even a "simulation" is still just a game ;) i think some real values are not really needed in a game... a physic should be close to real for sure but things like different engine power because of different track height or air temperature are a bit too off... to calculate all these values what you have on real would need a lot computer power... in the end for all this you would need more than a current high end pc... its still just a game where people want to have fun with cars they cant drive on real ;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.