AMS 2 | Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit Headlines New Content Additions In Latest Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Reiza Studios today deployed a brand new update to their Early Access Automobilista 2 racing simulation - adding new content, improved netcode and a raft of fundamental improvements to the title.

Update time! Yes, Friday, the start of the weekend, for most of us two days to rest and relax and more importantly - Automobilista 2 early access update time!

In this new build from Reiza Studios, the developing AMS2 simulation enjoys quite the array of changes and improvements, not least of which is some gratefully received netcode advancements for those with an online fancying, and AI balancing tweaks to be enjoyed by those that like their racing thrills against computer controlled opponents.

In content news, the latest build adds the impressive modern layout of Kyalami, plus the P2 specification Sigma P1 (with the updated 2020 P1 variant expected to arrive in sim once the real world version races on track). In old school content news, today's build adds the Passat to the Copa Classic FL category - however this car is know to cause a CTD at present, an issue that Reiza are currently investigating and expect to hotfix in the very near future.

Quick note - This is the last weekend to buy Automobilista 2 with the current 40% discount over its v1.0 price - as we have crossed the halfway point in our Early Access roadmap, by Monday pricing will be adjusted accordingly to be 20% off its v1.0 full price, remaining that way until its official release.

V0.9.0.1 CHANGELOG:

CONTENT

• Added Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit
  • Added Sigma P1 to P2 Class
  • Added Passat to Copa Classic FL Class
GENERAL
  • Update App Key used in Live Motion SDK
NETCODE
  • Reduced Fade Accel parameter to minimise chances of "ghost" car-to-car collisions in a Multiplayer Session
UI & HUD
  • Fixed back button on TimeTrial screen
  • Amended all brake bias labels to include F / R qualifier and all values to include front and rear.
  • Fixed telemetry HUD screen anchors (affects ultrawide positioning)
  • Fixed in-game menu anchors on various pages (audio, camera, controls & gameplay options screens, save/load setup, quick/full setup edit screens, VR)
  • Added Track Altitude information to loading screen
  • Added current time of day to Session Overview / Pause screens
  • Added Imola 1972 & Modern trackmaps
  • Added Stock Car Driver names
  • Updated missing tire names for Caterhams, F-Ultimate, Copa Classics
  • Added chat box to lobby page, multiplayer & pre-event screens
  • Fixed bug with incorrect engine torque statistic in vehicle selection & loading screen due to reversed metric / empiric system conversion
  • Adjusted naming for various Metalmoro MRX models
  • Fixed track country label on lobby page
  • Added exit confirmation to pre-event screen
  • Coodown lap now defaults to manual player control
PHYSICS
  • Standardized ranges, adjusted drag & lift increments per setting for cars with adjustable radiator & brake ducts
  • Adjusted brake heating for all prototypes & GT cars
  • Minor adjustments to Ultima Race, StockV8, F-Vintage tyre treads
  • Reduced roll inertia for StockV8, SuperV8, Ultima Race, Ultima
  • Slightly reduced grip off the ideal racing line
  • Reduced Metalmoro AJR diffuser efficiency
  • Adjusted StockV8 diffuser center of pressure slightly rearwards
  • Adjusted Roco, MRX, ARC Camaro engine torque curves
  • Moved default brake bias rearwards for Sprint Race, StockV8, Ultima Race
AI
  • Slightly increased AI awareness of human players
  • AI performance tuning for GT3, StockV8, P1, P2, P3, P4, Ultima Race, Sprint Race, F3, F-Vintage classes
TRACKS
  • Spielberg: fixed hole in garage floor; replaced incorrect pit building walls & pit doors; remapped garage and pit stall locations; removed excess grid assignments (32 cars supported); rebuilt triggers.
  • Brands Hatch. Fixed bug with cars appearing to float over the track; adjusted rolling start location; revised track limits; fixed garage door collision
VEHICLES
  • AJR: Adjusted Driver Animation; Added Imperio #175 & Mottin Racing 46 liveries
  • MRX: Corrected RPM LEDs for all variants
  • Ultima Race: Adjusted collision mesh
  • Puma P052: New liveries/updates/redesign for #01 #02 #04 #06 #07 #08 #10 #11 #12 #13 #19 #42 #53 #54 #69; Added community skins #17 #91

Original Source: Reiza Studios

AMS 2 is available now in Steam Early Access.

If you need help and support getting the most from AMS2, start a thread in our AMS2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and let our great community help you out.

AMS 2 Kyalami.jpg

Last edited:
@BazzaLB Not sure if my opinion is in any way relevant, but I'd say it is more or less set correctly when using the default settings (but could use tweaking in regards of individual car gain), but I would prefer the current state to go somewhat back to what the New default was in its very first EA iteration, or even add a bit of the Old default feel. But that's feel, so that's kinda subjective.

I've been fairly disappointed in AMS2 as of late.

8.2 was good...the next few builds were great too, but I found them so only while using the Old default.

For me they keep taking backward steps but maybe it is something on my side.

@BazzaLB Not sure if my opinion is in any way relevant, but I'd say it is more or less set correctly when using the default settings (but could use tweaking in regards of individual car gain), but I would prefer the current state to go somewhat back to what the New default was in its very first EA iteration, or even add a bit of the Old default feel. But that's feel, so that's kinda subjective.
Default FFB was terrible on my end and I actually needed quite a bit of tweaking and tuning to get it to an acceptable level where I could feel what the car was doing and where it didn't clip. I've got a low end wheel though, but other sims worked better right of the box so far, AMS1 inlcuded. I got to say though, I am not a big fan of the back and forward going with FFB and tuning setting and the quality of the different cars doesn't make it easy either. Add to that the floatiness of the cars, wich was a problem in PC1 and PC2 allready and I don't know what to make out of this game actually. Granted the floatiness isn't as severe, but it's still there.

I find that I can absolutely floor the car in turns in AMS2, whereas I need to feather the throttle in AMS1 and rF2.
Confirmed. I can induce some wheelspin by minimizing the front swaybar and turning down traction control (what? TC on an FVee?), but no throttle oversteer. V8 cars seem similar, but I didn't play with the setup.

Confirmed. I can induce some wheelspin by minimizing the front swaybar and turning down traction control (what? TC on an FVee?), but no throttle oversteer. V8 cars seem similar, but I didn't play with the setup.

The FVee seems very tame to me, especially when compared with its rf2 counterpart (although that one seems a little OTT). Stock Car Brasil you have to be careful with in tight slow turns on standard setup though. (most notable around Interlagos)

So many post about FFB, so much focus on such an evasive subject. No one agrees on what “good” FFB feels like.
To me good FFB is at least not intrusive and does not do anything that I do not feel when driving IRL.
Since I set up my rig with tactile to take care of any surface bump and curbs feelings, the gear shift thump.
Tactile released my FFB to just tell me about what my front rack is doing in relation to my tires.
My favorite FFB is Assetto Corsa, every thing else, for me is evaluated from that. Others prefer an other FFB. When some one write AMS2 FFB is not as good, it might be good news to me or not, if what they prefer and are looking for might be the opposite of what I am seeking.
Lucky for me, I can afford the 30$ to find out by myself if I enjoy AMS2 FFB or not.
My experience so far is that it has potential, but as expected in EA, it is, for me, jumping back and forth. Some car combo feel good enough for me to enjoy myself. Last week was not so good, but today it was alright driving the Dallara at Curvelo.

I wish for everyone to come down, stop being so analytical about FFB, set it to forget about it and start enjoying everything else that makes SIM driving or racing enjoyable. As with so many thing in life, with FFB, less is more.

• Deleted member 617659

After a bit dissapointed at the beginning, the last 2 updates feel great here. Yesterday I enjoyed a GT5 race at modern Kyalami, and after doing some hundreds of laps there in ACC I didn’t feel anything weird, the car is super fun and the track is perfectly recognizable. At this point I am thinking that if the things keep this rhythm/path, hopefully my 2 main sims will be ACC and AMS2.

I don't know what's going on but things are getting weird. Due to a couple of issues I've been having, I totally reinstalled AMS 2 and removed all traces of it's config files before trying this patch. I jump into the game, get myself set back up again, and... the FFB feels crap. I know, I know, there is nothing in the patch notes about FFB this time. Comparing the FFB files shows there's been no changes too. Yet the New Default which felt pretty good before now feels utterly dead. That includes my slightly tweaked version I was using with the Custom option too.

Combine that with the fact that my World Movement setting defaults to 50 instead of the 75 clearly stated in one of the previous patches, and I'm starting to wonder if I have the same version as everyone else. :O_o:

The new Sigma looks and sounds fantastic, but until I figure out what's going on with my FFB it feels pretty crap. :(

I also had some strange issues about a week ago or so, out of the blue - and it wasn't after an update - the same car I drove for days, Formula 3 308, was suddenly having massive brake locks and massive undesteer under braking and also was very difficult under acceleration, snap oversteer. I tried everything, even uninstalled the game nothing worked, then I launched the game started a race and chose RESET to DEFAULT on my car setup...miracle happended ffb was fixed :)), very strange.

Loving it
In the meantime, anyone having problems with sequential shifters?
Neither HE nor Fanatec work when on track despite you can assigne them in Controls...:O_o:
I started with AMS2 yesterday. I used an Aiologs Sequential shifter and worked perfectly for me. At the begining I thought it was not working but then I noticed I have to use the clutch or set the autoclutch on

Anyone else having issues with VR ? Before this update it ran very well ..now I'm getting massive amounts of dropped frames. It is not running as smooth as previously . Tried on a few diffrent tracks
No issues in VR with Samsung Odyssey (WMR). I only had time to test Jerez and Montreal in VR but so far I didn't find any performance issue

So many post about FFB, so much focus on such an evasive subject. No one agrees on what “good” FFB feels like.
To me good FFB is at least not intrusive and does not do anything that I do not feel when driving IRL.
Since I set up my rig with tactile to take care of any surface bump and curbs feelings, the gear shift thump.
Tactile released my FFB to just tell me about what my front rack is doing in relation to my tires.
My favorite FFB is Assetto Corsa, every thing else, for me is evaluated from that. Others prefer an other FFB. When some one write AMS2 FFB is not as good, it might be good news to me or not, if what they prefer and are looking for might be the opposite of what I am seeking.
Lucky for me, I can afford the 30$ to find out by myself if I enjoy AMS2 FFB or not.
My experience so far is that it has potential, but as expected in EA, it is, for me, jumping back and forth. Some car combo feel good enough for me to enjoy myself. Last week was not so good, but today it was alright driving the Dallara at Curvelo.

I wish for everyone to come down, stop being so analytical about FFB, set it to forget about it and start enjoying everything else that makes SIM driving or racing enjoyable. As with so many thing in life, with FFB, less is more.
That's only partially true. As the name ForceFeeback indicates it's there to give me feedback. If the default settings - wich by some people were recommended as good - are clipping like hell and it just feels like a giant muddy mess, then that's clearly not as intended. For other people AMS2 might be allright, but if I have to tweak the FFB to get it to an acceptable level and it's still not there compared to AMS1, then I wonder if I should spend more money on the product. But time will tell. ;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.