AMS 2 | Beta Launches Feb 28th - What Are You Looking Forward To?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
For Reiza backers, the much anticipated AMS2 Beta will go live this February 28th - what are you most looking forward to with the new game?

Now remember folks, only those are are early backers have access to the full list of cars and tracks confirmed so far for release - so please don't go and flood the comments section with "I'm looking forward to driving the xxx around xxx" - that kinda spoils the surprise for everyone else (and we are supposed to keep these things secrete anyway!).

However without going into content specifics, I'm sure we can all think of plenty of things to talk about to keep ourselves excited between now and the 28th!

So, who's excited for a first look at AMS 2???

Automobilista 2 will release as early beta on February 28th, with a full release scheduled for March 2020.

Excited about the game? Spread that enthusiasm at the Automobilista 2 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment!

AMS 2 Beta.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what wheel you are using, or what your settings are, but on my DD1 I don't have that problem, I can feel the tire load just fine. Also, it got better with beta2, but it wasn't non existant in beta1. I can tell they have done some work to the ffb, since beta1, but I didn't think the beta1 ffb was bad, quite the contrary.
It's my opinion, I don't like at all the FFB, each time i play ACC and rF2, it's a big pleasure, I like pushing and feeling the tire load, in AMS2, nothing (or bad suspension oscillations which are for me a big physic issue), I think my bad feelings don't come from my wheel, but from the game. I already see what it's and I don't hope a revolution update magic trick to bring the FFB close to ACC or rF2....if Im' wrong it with a big pleasure I will play with AMS, now I dont play, with each update I test, afer 2 mins, I feel bad and come back to ACC and rF2.

ACC at 4k epic is a pure beauty, a visual art....AM2 at 4k ultra is like pCars 2 from 2017...not a revolution after ACC.

Likewise, the Madness Engine can look like pure beauty at 4K (I only play at 4K). With the proper time of day/weather/track combo, it can look absolutely stunning. Now all these graphics engines that have arbitrary time of day/weather configurable can also look dull in some lighting conditions. What ACC may have at the moment is maybe slightly more detailed tracks (more side objects), and again this is debatable.
In rF2, Sebring is particularly stunning in that department and definitly the best looking rF2 track and possibly of any sim.

Can you explain me what do you like about the AMS 2 FFB? do you feel something in a turn like in rF2 or ACC when you push ?

Yes, I do. I think the FFB communicates what the car is doing very well. I can feel the wheel load, and I can tell when it is about to go over the limit. The Brazilian Stock Cars, as well as the P4, and F3 cars all feel great to me as far a FFB is concerned. I haven't tried every car yet on beta2, but the ones I have tried feel good. I have heard, but I don't know if its true or not, that some of the better feeling of the FFB has to do with better setups on some cars on beta2.

[QUO
Likewise, the Madness Engine can look like pure beauty at 4K (I only play at 4K). With the proper time of day/weather/track combo, it can look absolutely stunning. Now all these graphics engines that have arbitrary time of day/weather configurable can also look dull in some lighting conditions. What ACC may have at the moment is maybe slightly more detailed tracks (more side objects), and again this is debatable.
In rF2, Sebring is particularly stunning in that department and definitly the best looking rF2 track and possibly of any sim.
ACC at night, with rain, or by day is so much beauty for my eyes, Imagine ACC at 4K with 200% resolution, so much beauty......AMS 2 is not at the same level, it's crazy to compare them....I dont say AMS2 is awfull, I just say it's in the Project Cars 2 direction....from 2017...

There is no need: I can run PC2/AMS2 @ 4K/60fps with graphics maxed out with my 1080 TI. And there is 20-30% GPU usage to spare.
I need, I run AMS 2 at max (and MSAA High) but the shadows are not beauty, the aliasing is massive, need to use the Supersampling at ultra, for this at 4K you need 2x 2080ti...I play at 4k 144hz....(I'm GPU obssesed a little bit...)....will try next year with 3080TI at 8K.

Tl;dr: Beta 2: Looks like PCARS2, has steering feel and FFB to match ACC, stunning & smooth VR.

AMS2 Beta 2 is another good step forward, the wheel feedback, in particular, is even more detailed and accurately weighted. I'm told this is as much to do with car setups as any changes to the FFB.

On the DD2 with CSWv2 wheel I'm using these settings for all cars and haven't found any need to adjust:
Gain 27
Low Force 5
FX 35
Spring 5
(On DD2 FFB 35, Sensitivity Auto (DoR))

This gives me what I believe is a lifelike weight in the wheel and all the track surface feel I get in a real car on track. At this Gain I can turn the wheel smoothly and naturally. I know the official Gain is up to 50 but this makes the wheel weight excessive for me and I find the movement no longer smooth or like any car I've ever driven. Personal physical size and strength probably play a part in this too.

As before you'll need your wits about you on cold tyres straight out of the pits especially with cars like the Caterham Academy on narrow road tyres but once they are warm the car hooks up exactly as I'd expect.

Lots more cars have working temp dials etc so the game looks far more complete.

The few minor handling issues in Beta 1 - some snappiness and occasional low-speed spins have been vastly improved in Beta 2. The Stock Car V8 is now much more predictable, it's still quite a tail-happy car but in a much more natural way and closer to the Super V8 in terms of handling and performance.

3 jaw-dropping cars that, imo, really show the game at it's best: Caterham Supersport, Formula Classic Gen 3, P1 Metal Moro Honda. All 3 are easy to drive at 8/10, come alive at 9/10 and communicate when the limit has been reached perfectly allowing slides to be caught and lines to be adjusted with wheel, throttle and brakes.

Just lapping and experiencing the different handling of the cars is addictive so running with the improved AI will have to wait until later.

I already put AMS2 alongside ACC in terms of the intuitive and natural feeling of the FFB.
My feelings exactly! A great summary of the 2nd beta with car communication

Adelaide is great too and i can't wait to have it with AMS2.

By the way my Podium PS4 works really fine with AMS1 and i think the ffb gives me more feel of realism compare to ACC. But i'm not sure because GT blancpain are special cars and there aren't in AMS.

I wonder if AMS2 will support DLSS in the futur?
(i'm still waiting for it with ACC)

I found a Multi-Class race combination that is working really well, there are still a few issues but for a game at this stage it's already massively enjoyable. The Sprint Race cars are so much fun to drive.

Single Race: Oulton Park, 15m qualifying, 10 lap race, AI 65 ability 75 aggression. Multi-Class P1, P3, Sprint Race and Caterham Superlight. The P3 and Sprint Race cars have similar lap times and are mixed on the grid after qualifying. Oculus VR with 2.0 supersampling.

0-0:32 Clean race start though the 7th placed P1 car is slow off the line, they seem to bog down and be unable to get off the line cleanly

0:33 & 0:58 - some great realistic clean racing vs Sprint Race AI cars into Hislop's. Overtaking into and flying through these tight chicanes is as much fun in AMS 2 as it is for real.

1:25 AI cars are always quicker out of Kinickerbrook, they seem to have more grip and stability than the player car.

1:47 I prepare to make my move on a P3 AI car, the P3 AI car has other ideas and is lining up a move on the Sprint Race car. This is one of the few AI vs Ai overtakes I've seen on cars with similar pace.

2:04 onward, a longer section including the P1 Ai making their way through to lap the slower AI cars.

2:44 Player car is generally faster than the AI through Druids corner.

4:32 Leading P1 AI car makes its way through the pack, overtakes me and next 3 AI cars before the main straight. The P1 AI cars are as impatient as the real P1 cars in endurance racing!

6:52 I'm engrossed in lining up an overtake on the P3 car and miss the P1 car rapidly approaching and attempting to sneak up the inside of both of us. Slight contact and both AI cars cope well.

The steering feel, track feedback, bumps and vibrations are truly lifelike and realistic to Oulton Park. With the right cars and track, AMS2 is already so much fun, I am looking forward to seeing just how good this game becomes!

I found a Multi-Class race combination that is working really well, there are still a few issues but for a game at this stage it's already massively enjoyable. The Sprint Race cars are so much fun to drive.

Single Race: Oulton Park, 15m qualifying, 10 lap race, AI 65 ability 75 aggression. Multi-Class P1, P3, Sprint Race and Caterham Superlight. The P3 and Sprint Race cars have similar lap times and are mixed on the grid after qualifying. Oculus VR with 2.0 supersampling.

0-0:32 Clean race start though the 7th placed P1 car is slow off the line, they seem to bog down and be unable to get off the line cleanly

0:33 & 0:58 - some great realistic clean racing vs Sprint Race AI cars into Hislop's. Overtaking into and flying through these tight chicanes is as much fun in AMS 2 as it is for real.

1:25 AI cars are always quicker out of Kinickerbrook, they seem to have more grip and stability than the player car.

1:47 I prepare to make my move on a P3 AI car, the P3 AI car has other ideas and is lining up a move on the Sprint Race car. This is one of the few AI vs Ai overtakes I've seen on cars with similar pace.

2:04 onward, a longer section including the P1 Ai making their way through to lap the slower AI cars.

2:44 Player car is generally faster than the AI through Druids corner.

4:32 Leading P1 AI car makes its way through the pack, overtakes me and next 3 AI cars before the main straight. The P1 AI cars are as impatient as the real P1 cars in endurance racing!

6:52 I'm engrossed in lining up an overtake on the P3 car and miss the P1 car rapidly approaching and attempting to sneak up the inside of both of us. Slight contact and both AI cars cope well.

The steering feel, track feedback, bumps and vibrations are truly lifelike and realistic to Oulton Park. With the right cars and track, AMS2 is already so much fun, I am looking forward to seeing just how good this game becomes!
That looks like fun! Will probably leave the caterhams out as Oulton is quite small for 3 classes imho but will defo give the sprint cars a go in this environment. They are amazing i agree! Lovely stuff. So much to do in this beta...

Some Sunday fun. How close if the AMS2 Beta 2 Caterham Supersport to it's real-world equivalent? Turns out pretty close indeed.

The real car speeds are 3-5mph higher, it's not uncommon for Cats to overestimate the speed a little.

The in-game sound is louder and more visceral but that could be where the mic was placed during recording.

Gear shifts are slightly off in the AMS2 car but nothing that makes a big difference.

Impressive for a game in the Beta stage in my view.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.