AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

Might be a stupid question, but could it be that enabling SVM mode (Secure Virtual Machine) in BIOS might affect the boost performance of AMD CPUs? I need virtualization for some home office development work, but everytime I leave it on, It seems like I lose some performance on my 3700X.

Last edited:
Is that enabled by default?
I'll have to check.

Bit of an update for me.
I've tried single player with full grid, even turned up some eye candy and didn't get a single CPU warning error or any freezes...

Go online, I've had one. Not as many as I used to have as I recently updated BIOS to current and have put it on XMP profile 1, I've also updated the chipset drivers.

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a 3800x...

"Could this cause an issue?"

Quite possibly. Memory compatibility can still be a little fickle.

Run it at 3000 for a while. If it is the issue then look at picking up some low latency 3600mhz while prices are decent.

With second gen the memory controller was directly on the cpu die but third gen has to go through the I/o die adding latency which is why third gen thrives on the fast n' tight stuff.

Hi @mitchgixer6 thanks for responding. I have the previous BIOS running at the moment but will look to update the BIOS today and see if it helps.
Failing that, I'm tempted to do a delete and reinstall of ACC and then, failing any improvement I'll perform a complete wipe and reinstall of Windows 10.

Could you confirm what settings you're running in ACC?

Apologies, didn't notice your question re settings at first.

I've got everything pretty much at Epic except for a few things, running at 1440p. Interestingly I've been having to fiddle with the settings since updating to AMD adrenaline 2020. Seems stable again however.

As far as I can tell the CPU only really works hard when there's AI involved? Single player should pretty much all be coming from the GPU. Which card do you have? Could it be a potential bottleneck?

Apologies, didn't notice your question re settings at first.

I've got everything pretty much at Epic except for a few things, running at 1440p. Interestingly I've been having to fiddle with the settings since updating to AMD adrenaline 2020. Seems stable again however.

As far as I can tell the CPU only really works hard when there's AI involved? Single player should pretty much all be coming from the GPU. Which card do you have? Could it be a potential bottleneck?
I have a 1070. It's fine with everything else I throw at it but I can appreciate that this title may be taxing the GPU a bit more...

I'm only at 1080p 60hz too

Ok, so finally got time for a little play with the memory using 1Usmus's really useful "DRAM Calculator for Ryzen"

I went for a ddr4000mhz kit as it was the same price as ddr3600, but it downclocked with sloppy timings. Have got it to 3733mhz@16-16-16-32-48-1T (fclk@1866mhz). It will boot at cl14 but isn't stable. A job for another day.

A quick cpu-z run:

I'm thinking the issues I'm having could well be something to do with the crap memory I bought...
I just recently upgraded to an r7 3800x and an RTX 2070 Super and now, instead of CPU warnings, I'm getting micro stutters when I play ACC without v-sync enabled.
rF2 is still fine, no issues at all with fps capped at 120

I think I'm going to have to dig deep into my PC and memory settings and possibly upgrade the RAM to some g.skill trident z royal or something similar

I'm running a 9-3900x/RTX 2080 ti, and I've recently had issues with AC freezing when I tried some sketchy 3200 memory. I went back to Corsair 3466 and the problem was solved, so I know AC is sensitive to memory issues.

A couple of handy charts for anyone looking for B-die.

Please note the disclaimer at the bottom of the page:

"SKUs listed here are known to be B-Dies but manufacturers can change ICs. Purchase at your own risk."

The general rule is that if the timings on the advertised kit are looser than those shown in the chart, it probably isn't b-die.

or a more comprehensive list (in German, use translator)

What is the best testing software for RAM on Ryzen 3xxx systems?
Also, people are talking about keeping the CPU as cool as possible for it to reach published boost speeds, anyone have any evidence on whether or not an AIO is better than the stock Wraith Prism is better?

I get the feeling sometimes that my AIO isn't cooling the CPU enough under load and that maybe the stock cooler would do a better job. Probably just in my head as ambient temp in my room is usually around 29°C

What is the best testing software for RAM on Ryzen 3xxx systems?
Also, people are talking about keeping the CPU as cool as possible for it to reach published boost speeds, anyone have any evidence on whether or not an AIO is better than the stock Wraith Prism is better?

I get the feeling sometimes that my AIO isn't cooling the CPU enough under load and that maybe the stock cooler would do a better job. Probably just in my head as ambient temp in my room is usually around 29°C

You can use DRAM Calculator in order to tweak timings and speed of your memory. It also has a test bench included, which you can use to test stability.

You can also use MemTest86 for test memory stability.

I don't know which AIO you have, but for sure it's better than the stock cooler.
Some maintenance might be required, like cleaning dust from fans and radiator and/or change thermal paste.
Also I don't know for how long you have you AIO cooler, but if it's an old one, it might be asking for retirement :D

You can use DRAM Calculator in order to tweak timings and speed of your memory. It also has a test bench included, which you can use to test stability.

You can also use MemTest86 for test memory stability.

I don't know which AIO you have, but for sure it's better than the stock cooler.
Some maintenance might be required, like cleaning dust from fans and radiator and/or change thermal paste.
Also I don't know for how long you have you AIO cooler, but if it's an old one, it might be asking for retirement :D
Ok cool, I'll carry on. The AIO is a H100i v2 bought in the last 3 years I think.
Anyone happen to know how long these things last?
I was considering doing a test between the AIO and the stock Wraith Prism cooler to see what the difference was

AIOs tend to last a long time, usually the pumps last for a long time, and where you might find problems is with leaks.
If you don't have leaks and the pump is still working I would say that it's still healthy.
Best you can do is to clean the computer and change thermal compound on the CPU (this makes part of normal maintenance independently if you use an AIO or air cooler).

BTW what CPU do you have and which temperatures under load? Your ambient temperature also doesn't help...

AIOs tend to last a long time, usually the pumps last for a long time, and where you might find problems is with leaks.
If you don't have leaks and the pump is still working I would say that it's still healthy.
Best you can do is to clean the computer and change thermal compound on the CPU (this makes part of normal maintenance independently if you use an AIO or air cooler).

BTW what CPU do you have and which temperatures under load? Your ambient temperature also doesn't help...
I have an R7 3800x and it was a fresh build recently.
Think my idle temps are between mid to high 40s
Under load benchmarking around mid 70s

I'll check again later as still tweaking and testing RAM timings to get the best results

Question: Isnt a CPU temp mid 70s a bit high?
I know its a (much) older generation but my Xeon x5670 does run at absolute max 59-61 when gaming for 1-2H.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.