AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

I might be mistaken, but I believe the answer to questions regarding AMS2 on consoles was so far "not something we're considering at this point".

At this point...

Sorry lads, finished work early and bouncing comments backwards and forwards is too time consuming.

My opinion is that next gen consoles will bring the next step change in pc hardware needs for the average gamer. You are welcome to your opinions.

But back then it was 4 threads vs 8 threads. That's 4 threads or 2.0x the thread count.
Now it's only 6 cores vs 8 cores. That's 2 threads or 1.33 the thread count.

Yep, and it gets even worse than that. Amdahl's law, which was proposed somewhere in the 60's but it still at least approximately valid, predicts that the speedup in computation time from having more parallel cores decreases the more cores you add. What's more, the diminishing returns from core count starts much sooner the less parallelized the program is.

So 8 vs 6 cores is not only less improvement than 6 vs 4 in terms of per centage, it will also have an additional penalty from Amdahl's law. I reckon we are now at a point where a transition to 6 cores starts to make sense in gaming after nearly 10 years on 4 cores. I predict it will be another 5+ years before 8 cores becomes "necessary" and after that I have my doubts if more will be needed during my lifetime for pure gaming.

I'll also predict memory and other architectural stuff will become a bottleneck in Ryzen 3600 for esports much before the core count becomes limiting. Anyway, the good thing is nobody will read these predictions in 2023 to prove me wrong :).
1280px-AmdahlsLaw.svg.png

Bit late to be worrying about it all now ;)

Few reasons I changed my mind

I don't believe there will be any price war even 9900K has been bumped up here

9900K + WIFI + BT5 is over $200 AU (20%) dearer then 3900X combo I got
and only 10% slower
That 10% is @ 1920 with RTX 2080Ti ... I use 2560 and RTX 2080 makes FPS closer

Getting top dollar for 8700 tower is best done sooner then later

Want to support the red team for a change

I put too little emphasis on productivity, I do encoding, compressing every day just not 8 hours is what I meant so all that will be faster as well while costing $200 less then Blue combo

Idle temps are high as some suggested

Blue screen bugcode NDS
Disabled network and wifi no bluescreen
Then I went back in and set boot agent on
enabled lan and wifi no bluescreen

anyone one know why it shows 15.9GB of memory
and bios setup please few things look alien to me

Idle temps are high as some suggested

Blue screen bugcode NDS
Disabled network and wifi no bluescreen
Then I went back in and set boot agent on
enabled lan and wifi no bluescreen

anyone one know why it shows 15.9GB of memory
and bios setup please few things look alien to me
Not related...but make certain to manually set the upper voltage limit.
Most of the new BIOS are causing momentary voltages in the 1.45-1.49 range when set to AUTO.
I have mine capped to 1.38

Robert from AMD stated its normal for the cpu to request voltages up to 1.5v. Those are the peak voltages PB2 needs to boost single-cores into whats advertised in the box. Under all-core loads the voltages should stay in the 1.3xx volts. Because loads are always changing, you will se vcores between 0.xxx and 1.5v

I dont really understand based on what information are people capping the max vcore on these ships.

Thanks guys....

Have not run anything yet still doing wiring, no rush
Need 8pin and 4pin CPU extensions or I really can't put together proper

Do I have to run the 4 pin ? ..... ...I searched, get differing answers
If you find good thread on 3900x bios / settings can you link it please

Don't want to manual O/C already feels quicker then my 8700 and that is with a slower SSD
Got to drop M2's in and do 2nd test OS, couple of windows updates for AMD I see but having trouble finding them in MS Catalog

Last edited:
Thanks again

installed Nzxt cam software idling it says CPU - 50 C System 20C and Liquid temp 25C :O_o: lol
and fans are running at 500rpm only lool
So I get that running should drop temp a bit I hope :barefoot:
( Drama, you have to register and log in or you can't change the settings in cams ) :alien:
Not putting any load till I get it sorted .

Still have issue when doing fresh OS bluescreen with NDS bugcode and I have to turn off network all over again install W10 reboot enable wifi then enable in bios it is okay
Hope new bios is done soon, not selling my 8700 till then

Robert from AMD stated its normal for the cpu to request voltages up to 1.5v. Those are the peak voltages PB2 needs to boost single-cores into whats advertised in the box. Under all-core loads the voltages should stay in the 1.3xx volts. Because loads are always changing, you will se vcores between 0.xxx and 1.5v

I dont really understand based on what information are people capping the max vcore on these ships.

For all core OC'ing. These chips are temp sensitive so lowest vcore you can run will keep the temps down which will give you more headroom. They're more like nvidia gpu's than intel cpu's.

In reality, there's isn't much to squeeze out of them outside of golden samples. You're better off just plugging it in, controlling the temps the best you can and letting the chip do it's thing. Then OC the RAM (max 3600mhz) with the tightest timings you can get.

For now only use Ryzen Master for temps. HwInfo, Afterburner etc cause that "waking processor" bug causing false readings. They need an update.

What i was looking for is a O/C site ( can't remember name ) back in Sandybridge days it had board by board threads with all cmos settings

I have been looking for a thread for your board, they are invaluable, but can't find one. I'm not a reddit user but you may find something there. Msi X470 bios's are very similar so...

These chips are temp sensitive so lowest vcore you can run will keep the temps down which will give you more headroom. They're more like nvidia gpu's than intel cpu's.

In reality, there's isn't much to squeeze out of them outside of golden samples. You're better off just plugging it in, controlling the temps the best you can and letting the chip do it's thing. Then OC the RAM (max 3600mhz) with the tightest timings you can get.

Completely agree but will add the caveat that bios's are likely to be flakey for a while. You may want to wait a month or so till things are more solid, or not. your call.

With AMD, early adopter = beta tester, but they will get there.

For anyone looking to improve memory timings with any Ryzen processor this tool makes life easier.

DRAM Calculator for Ryzen™ 1.5.1 (overclocking DRAM on AM4) + MEMbench 0.7 (DRAM bench) by 1usmus.

Review.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

Downloads and support thread.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-...locking-dram-am4-membench-0-7-dram-bench.html

Instructions.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/27694284-post3363.html

Thaiphoon Burner. (You will need to d/l and install this. It gives detailed information about your ram that you input to the calculator)
http://softnology.biz/files.html

Be sure to get the latest chipset drivers for your board and preferably the latest STABLE bios. If you have bios settings that you want to keep, save a profile first!

Note from 1usmus regarding Ryzen 3000 users:

There are a few rules that zen 2 users should know

1) FCLK should always be equal UCLK and MEMCLK , otherwise, domain synchronization reduces system performance.
2) VDDG <= SOC . Max limit 1.15 volts , which you may need.
3) procODT for all Zen 2 changed and the optimal range is as follows (for all motherboards) 28-40 Ohm. Settings from the previous generation of processors are not relevant (except for timings and voltage).
4) PB2 (+0 + 25 + 75 + 100 +200 mhz)not equal PBO. I advise you to use PB2, this algorithm does not depend on currents and thermal packets. The only limitation of this technology is processor temperature and FIT. Do not forget to turn off the PBO.
5) The optimal processor temperature for maximum boost is 60 degrees or less.
6) The maximum frequency of the memory controller (stable) in most cases is 1866-1900Mhz.

P.s. I have notified AMD of all existing problems, no need to worry.

P.p.s. Review. I have lost a lot of time due to thorough research of new products, but the review will already be published on all resources early next week.
Then I will engage in tight communication with the community (I hope the availability of processors will improve).

_______

BR, Yuri

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back