Am I the only one who don't understand why people like AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a bit disturbed after having played a few hours to AC (on PC with a G27).

I love racing games of all kinds and it's very rare I don't like a good game. I've had a lot of fun on simcades like GRID and GT6, I've started realsims a few weeks ago with GSCE and AMS, and I have so much fun with them. I've also tested and liked R3E, GTR2, rF2 and RACE07.
I've spent my weekend configuring and testing AC, I've tested at least 20 cars (core content + a few mods, race cars and road cars) during more than 5 hours. I've tried hard to like it, but I think I like almost nothing in it.

Almost all cars I've tested seems to weigh 3 tons, everything seems so sluggish. I don't really feel the acceleration, they don't brake well (I've to brake earlier on AC with ABS than in AMS without ABS on the same car, and braking without ABS on cars which have ABS is a pain in the ass, even after having increased the brakes gamma), they don't turn well (not so much grip), and there is not much feedbacks from the road.

And perhaps the main problem, perhaps what makes me feels it's so sluggish, is the engine sounds. Most I've heard feel so artificial, completely liveless, and often closer to a mower than a car. I've not heard anything that bad in 10 years, feels like a (not so good) 90's game.
And as if it was not enough, they've added a huge muffled effect (even on the outside sound...), which mask the power of the engine, even for the rare cars with a not to bad engine sound.

I'm completely amazed when I see videos of "the best engine sounds in AC" with comments like "It sounds better than IRL"... Did they ever have heard any real powerfull car or any engine sound from any other good game?

I remember my first lap on the Nordschleife with a Z4 on GT6, it was so fun, very grippy, fast passed. I've done 2 laps on the Nordschleife with a GT3 on AC and it was not that fun at all (even if I've liked the details of the laser scanned road).
Last 2 days, after having passed 2 hours testing cars on AC, I did a few laps of some of the same cars on the same track on AMS, it was a few laps of fun after 2 boring hours...

I could think that the success comes from gamers which discover realsims with AC, but I see many people playing with other realsims who like also AC, which seems almost impossible to me.

Do I miss something? I just can't understand how what I feel in this game, which seems obvious for me, seems so different of what most people feel.
So I feel disturbed and a bit alone, so I post to see if I'm really alone :)

Regards.

I think AMS has perfect physics/ffb calibration, what's missing? Only because you don't like AMS you need to say only near perfect, where's your data that says is only near perfect?
Jesus ...........H..........he does like AMS :rolleyes:. Now fanboys members jump on people for saying "near perfect" instead of perfect. I just don't believe it. So if I were to say that AMS was near perfect, would you have a go at me for not saying that it is perfect? :( Very sad.

Just be more careful when you talk about AMS like that. This is a sim racing genre, simulation of cars. AMS is perfect and you saying is near perfect is denigrating this simulator's name without any evidence.

Are you serious or joking? You are warning people here? I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this.
Well folks, I suppose we had better be careful here. :rolleyes: You never know how serious this serious chap is. :whistling:

ps Radu...........how's this? AMS is not perfect, it's flawed and broke and rubbish and probably the worst race sim ever. You should try Shift 2, now that was a perfect sim.

Actually, being serious, the AI could do with improving but that's all I can think of.

:laugh::roflmao:
That should get me in trouble folks.

Last edited:
I play PCars, R3E, and AC. I used to think AC was third on the list and didn't really play much. But recently, just last week, I went back to it and decided to really work on the FFB. I got it dialed in pretty nicely, and the game feels a lot better. Not sure if it was the FFB, or just taking the time to get back into the game, but I'm enjoying it just as much as the others now. One of the issues with AC is the braking is really different than it is in other sims. You have to be smooth and it's much harder to trailer brake, compared to other titles. It can make for a frustrating experience, until you get used to the difference. But once you do, it provides a different kind of challenge than other titles, at least IMO. Not judging good or bad, just different, which I like. It adds variety to my racing library. :)

Hi,

I'm a bit disturbed after having played a few hours to AC (on PC with a G27).

I love racing games of all kinds and it's very rare I don't like a good game. I've had a lot of fun on simcades like GRID and GT6, I've started realsims a few weeks ago with GSCE and AMS, and I have so much fun with them. I've also tested and liked R3E, GTR2, rF2 and RACE07.
I've spent my weekend configuring and testing AC, I've tested at least 20 cars (core content + a few mods, race cars and road cars) during more than 5 hours. I've tried hard to like it, but I think I like almost nothing in it.

Almost all cars I've tested seems to weigh 3 tons, everything seems so sluggish. I don't really feel the acceleration, they don't brake well (I've to brake earlier on AC with ABS than in AMS without ABS on the same car, and braking without ABS on cars which have ABS is a pain in the ass, even after having increased the brakes gamma), they don't turn well (not so much grip), and there is not much feedbacks from the road.

And perhaps the main problem, perhaps what makes me feels it's so sluggish, is the engine sounds. Most I've heard feel so artificial, completely liveless, and often closer to a mower than a car. I've not heard anything that bad in 10 years, feels like a (not so good) 90's game.
And as if it was not enough, they've added a huge muffled effect (even on the outside sound...), which mask the power of the engine, even for the rare cars with a not to bad engine sound.

I'm completely amazed when I see videos of "the best engine sounds in AC" with comments like "It sounds better than IRL"... Did they ever have heard any real powerfull car or any engine sound from any other good game?

I remember my first lap on the Nordschleife with a Z4 on GT6, it was so fun, very grippy, fast passed. I've done 2 laps on the Nordschleife with a GT3 on AC and it was not that fun at all (even if I've liked the details of the laser scanned road).
Last 2 days, after having passed 2 hours testing cars on AC, I did a few laps of some of the same cars on the same track on AMS, it was a few laps of fun after 2 boring hours...

I could think that the success comes from gamers which discover realsims with AC, but I see many people playing with other realsims who like also AC, which seems almost impossible to me.

Do I miss something? I just can't understand how what I feel in this game, which seems obvious for me, seems so different of what most people feel.
So I feel disturbed and a bit alone, so I post to see if I'm really alone :)

Regards.

Nearly everything you said is what I think too.

I came to Assetto from rFactor first it was great. But after some hours it gets boring. I started iRacing and then also AMS. At the moment I'm not so far in AMS (FFB is not my favourite but still better than Assetto Corsa I think) As you said it feels like you are on ice and don't get many feedback from the asphalt.

It's a real shame because many of my friends are enjoying Assetto and don't have iRacing. So I have to play mostly on my own because I simply don't like the feeling in Assetto Corsa :(

Edit: I have 252 hours in Assetto Corsa so far.

AC is really a very dire racing simulator on the PS4, the AI puts paid to any sort of good 'racing' and the cars tend to feel like one another, i can't feel each cars own personality like i can in say PCars or Automobilsta on my mates PC.
It's loved by a hardcore group of Stephano's groupies fawning over his guitar playing. Horrible horrible game utter mess.

AC is really a very dire racing simulator on the PS4, the AI puts paid to any sort of good 'racing' and the cars tend to feel like one another, i can't feel each cars own personality like i can in say PCars or Automobilsta on my mates PC.
It's loved by a hardcore group of Stephano's groupies fawning over his guitar playing. Horrible horrible game utter mess.
Oh, haven't heard this argument in a while, haven't we... If you say you like the game you obviously have to be paid by the developer or be someone from their clique... stop spitting such utter shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes