Am I the only one who don't understand why people like AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a bit disturbed after having played a few hours to AC (on PC with a G27).

I love racing games of all kinds and it's very rare I don't like a good game. I've had a lot of fun on simcades like GRID and GT6, I've started realsims a few weeks ago with GSCE and AMS, and I have so much fun with them. I've also tested and liked R3E, GTR2, rF2 and RACE07.
I've spent my weekend configuring and testing AC, I've tested at least 20 cars (core content + a few mods, race cars and road cars) during more than 5 hours. I've tried hard to like it, but I think I like almost nothing in it.

Almost all cars I've tested seems to weigh 3 tons, everything seems so sluggish. I don't really feel the acceleration, they don't brake well (I've to brake earlier on AC with ABS than in AMS without ABS on the same car, and braking without ABS on cars which have ABS is a pain in the ass, even after having increased the brakes gamma), they don't turn well (not so much grip), and there is not much feedbacks from the road.

And perhaps the main problem, perhaps what makes me feels it's so sluggish, is the engine sounds. Most I've heard feel so artificial, completely liveless, and often closer to a mower than a car. I've not heard anything that bad in 10 years, feels like a (not so good) 90's game.
And as if it was not enough, they've added a huge muffled effect (even on the outside sound...), which mask the power of the engine, even for the rare cars with a not to bad engine sound.

I'm completely amazed when I see videos of "the best engine sounds in AC" with comments like "It sounds better than IRL"... Did they ever have heard any real powerfull car or any engine sound from any other good game?

I remember my first lap on the Nordschleife with a Z4 on GT6, it was so fun, very grippy, fast passed. I've done 2 laps on the Nordschleife with a GT3 on AC and it was not that fun at all (even if I've liked the details of the laser scanned road).
Last 2 days, after having passed 2 hours testing cars on AC, I did a few laps of some of the same cars on the same track on AMS, it was a few laps of fun after 2 boring hours...

I could think that the success comes from gamers which discover realsims with AC, but I see many people playing with other realsims who like also AC, which seems almost impossible to me.

Do I miss something? I just can't understand how what I feel in this game, which seems obvious for me, seems so different of what most people feel.
So I feel disturbed and a bit alone, so I post to see if I'm really alone :)

Regards.

I think many people don´t know, that TC on 1 means full TC and 12 from 12 in some GT3-cars is nearly off. Especially road cars like the Porsche Carrera S come only to life without TC and GT3-cars are a bit planted and boring running full TC and to slow as well.

I´m running an Accuforce with SimVibe Chassis-mode and four powerful shakers and don´t like road effects on the wheel, because i prefer it under the butt and feet. From the FFB i prefer AMS with most pure racing cars witout TC/ABS nowadays, but AC is still outstanding as well, just with very different more modern cars and not all are good. Road tires suck in AMS like with the new Ultima Road and are second to none in AC. Hyper- and Supercars you can only drive in AC or Forza, GT, so only AC. Porsche-pack is awesome, but i think i know what some people are missing in AC, or it´s more what they get and don´t like: power-steering cars.

Oh, haven't heard this argument in a while, haven't we... If you say you like the game you obviously have to be paid by the developer or be someone from their clique... stop spitting such utter shite.

Calm down mate, the game is pants and Stephano blames it on consoles player mentality, which is just a dumb excuse as far as i'm concerned as its like saying all PC owners don't shower and live at home with mummy and daddy and have no social skills apart from 'friends' on forums etc. Which is mainly all true of the PC community....
If what Stephano said was true then the PC version wouldn't have driving aids or racing line or rear car view..... he's an idiot.

Calm down mate, the game is pants and Stephano blames it on consoles player mentality, which is just a dumb excuse as far as i'm concerned as its like saying all PC owners don't shower and live at home with mummy and daddy and have no social skills apart from 'friends' on forums etc. Which is mainly all true of the PC community....
If what Stephano said was true then the PC version wouldn't have driving aids or racing line or rear car view..... he's an idiot.
I think you're making things up. You're distorting quite a lot. See here Stefano's reaction in live stream after the reviews of console AC. The console talk starts at 9:58 and comments about the reviews at 15:58.

(19:55) "I'm absolutely not angry with those reviews, I think actually, I think those reviews are doing very very honest and good job, because they know their audience, and they are doing a service to their audience. So, I can imagine, you know, that there are lots of kids that could go to shop and buy Assetto Corsa and find something that is just too challenging and they have absolutely no interest in pursuing that knowledge of understanding how a real car works, and so they could be wasting money. I think at the end of the day they are doing a very good service to their audience. We are not all the same and we need to understand as simulation enthusiasts that we do represent a minority."

(21:41) "I do understand that I am a minority, and we all have different passions and interests in life, and it doesn't matter that if somebody doesn't want to spend 200 hours perfecting driving a car, is not an idiot, is just somebody that has a different interest. I think the message is that we are going to be us, we are not going to make game that doesn't represent us as developers." And continues, watch the stream.

Last edited:
To be honest the reviews it had were because the game was broken as hell and feature-challenged. There was(is) basically nothing to do. Console guys arent as ass-licking as us simracers, they dont want to deal with unfinished broken ****.
Your comment is weird when most of the reviews were emphasized about whether the person liked or not the gameplay and what activities you could do in the game.

Oh, haven't heard this argument in a while, haven't we... If you say you like the game you obviously have to be paid by the developer or be someone from their clique... stop spitting such utter shite.
Oh, don't you just love people like him? It is absolutely valid to dislike Assetto Corsa. Heck, you may hate it compared to this sim or that sim. But once you start with the fanboi stuff, you lose all credibility with me.

One of these days someone is going to explain to me why people who hate a game hang out in that game's web forums...and it has to make sense. Brain damage? Not enough hugs from daddy? Maybe too many hugs from daddy!! :sick: I had quit following this thread and just decided to pop in and read the last two pages. I wasn't disappointed. :roflmao: Ok...I gotta go write more love letters to Stefano. Have fun everybody. :rolleyes:

I think you're making things up. You're distorting quite a lot. See here Stefano's reaction in live stream after the reviews of console AC. The console talk starts at 9:58 and comments about the reviews at 15:58.

(19:55) "I'm absolutely not angry with those reviews, I think actually, I think those reviews are doing very very honest and good job, because they know their audience, and they are doing a service to their audience. So, I can imagine, you know, that there are lots of kids that could go to shop and buy Assetto Corsa and find something that is just too challenging and they have absolutely no interest in pursuing that knowledge of understanding how a real car works, and so they could be wasting money. I think at the end of the day they are doing a very good service to their audience. We are not all the same and we need to understand as simulation enthusiasts that we do represent a minority."

(21:41) "I do understand that I am a minority, and we all have different passions and interests in life, and it doesn't matter that if somebody doesn't want to spend 200 hours perfecting driving a car, is not an idiot, is just somebody that has a different interest. I think the message is that we are going to be us, we are not going to make game that doesn't represent us as developers." And continues, watch the stream.

Yes that! Its utter drivel!! DiRT rally is infinatley harder and more challenging than AC is! As is SLRE. Also PCars was owned by many people the same people who picked up AC so quite how Steph thinks console players aren't ready for this 'sim' is utterly daft, simple fact is he's making excuses for the lame reviews of a very very poor driving sim.
He's a total cult that's for sure...

Oh, don't you just love people like him? It is absolutely valid to dislike Assetto Corsa. Heck, you may hate it compared to this sim or that sim. But once you start with the fanboi stuff, you lose all credibility with me.

One of these days someone is going to explain to me why people who hate a game hang out in that game's web forums...and it has to make sense. Brain damage? Not enough hugs from daddy? Maybe too many hugs from daddy!! :sick: I had quit following this thread and just decided to pop in and read the last two pages. I wasn't disappointed. :roflmao: Ok...I gotta go write more love letters to Stefano. Have fun everybody. :rolleyes:
There is absolutely no logical reason to "hate" any software. You can dislike it, but that's all. Everything else is Orwellian New Speak! ...the internetz...:cautious:

There is absolutely no logical reason to "hate" any software. You can dislike it, but that's all. Everything else is Orwellian New Speak! ...the internetz...:cautious:

No one said they hated it, its just rubbish. People like you make up people hate stuff because your so blinkered that if anyone dares say anything but utter praise on your favorite game then you take it as a personal slight, hence you think 'hate'.... the internetz indeed....

No one said they hated it, its just rubbish. People like you make up people hate stuff because your so blinkered that if anyone dares say anything but utter praise on your favorite game then you take it as a personal slight, hence you think 'hate'.... the internetz indeed....
All I said Dude, is that "hate" is the wrong word chosen! Learn to use your language properly, then go attack people. Gosh!

I'd be almost tempted to go Premium here to see who the people agreeing with these posts of yours if it weren't for people like you frequenting this place...

Oh, sure... let me remind you:

Yes that! Its utter drivel!! DiRT rally is infinatley harder and more challenging than AC is! As is SLRE. Also PCars was owned by many people the same people who picked up AC so quite how Steph thinks console players aren't ready for this 'sim' is utterly daft, simple fact is he's making excuses for the lame reviews of a very very poor driving sim.
He's a total cult that's for sure...
So blame MS, blame Sony, blame the consumer with the console game, weaponise the PC nutters and followers of the cult Stephano and away you go.....

Even SMS worked out towards the end how to get updates outs on time, just send them to MS/Sony earlier.... shambles, utter shambles, not even sure anymore if the FFB/physics are as good as people rave about, the physics do weird things and the FFB is just fake and same for all cars pretty much. Horrible.
AC is really a very dire racing simulator on the PS4, the AI puts paid to any sort of good 'racing' and the cars tend to feel like one another, i can't feel each cars own personality like i can in say PCars or Automobilsta on my mates PC.
It's loved by a hardcore group of Stephano's groupies fawning over his guitar playing. Horrible horrible game utter mess.
PS4 is pretty dire too sadly, the PC brigade will soon chip in and blame us somehow, but never blame kunos. Oh and the community blog gives us no time frames for anything, its just words, they had the chance to see where SMS went wrong, but then went ahead and repeated the same mistakes but made them even worse and then unlike SMS don't seem to want to fix them... bunch of fools.
Stehoano blames it all on console users not being ready for real 'sims' when in the recent past we've had DiRT, SLRE, PCars. Muppets.

And it goes on in posts I can't quote anymore, you spent the last few weeks or more writing negative posts and obsessing about this product that you clearly have no interest in playing.

Obviously you don't have some beef with the Kunos lead programmer at all, not you! All just some fabrications of the PC "muppets", "nutters", "groupies", "cult", isn't that so? The evil world against poor totheapex.

This is getting old and you already crossed the line from deserved criticism to open defamation a while ago. Nobody disputes that the console version has issues that need to be rectified ASAP and you can criticise them for that in a civilised way to your heart's content, as many AC fans do as well, but insulting the developer, the players and people that simply disagree with you is taking it too far. You're mistaken if you think that helps with the credibility of your arguments against this sim.

This is getting old and you already crossed the line from deserved criticism to open defamation a while ago. Nobody disputes that the console version has issues that need to be rectified ASAP and you can criticise them for that in a civilised way to your heart's content, as many AC fans do as well, but insulting the developer, the players and people that simply disagree with you is taking it too far. You're mistaken if you think that helps with the credibility of your arguments against this sim.
This is exactly the part where sim racing community enters the ridicule and unintelligent attitude. It starts with offenses, trolling, obsession, and bad arguments (not in a specific order), and a very lack of common sense and empathy.

This is very simple, stop looking at people as haters and fanboys. Everyone has a different opinion and perspective. So we start from there.
Judge people's arguments and actions, and reply with arguments yourself as well.

Read this http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/argument/ (quotes below taken from this link)
Have some critical thinking instead of writing by impulse.

"Even when the material you read or hear is presented as simple “fact,” it may actually be one person’s interpretation of a set of information."

And when you make a claim:
"Do not stop with having a point. You have to back up your point with evidence. The strength of your evidence, and your use of it, can make or break your argument."

Counterargument:
"One way to strengthen your argument and show that you have a deep understanding of the issue you are discussing is to anticipate and address counterarguments or objections. By considering what someone who disagrees with your position might have to say about your argument, you show that you have thought things through, and you dispose of some of the reasons your audience might have for not accepting your argument.

You can generate counterarguments by asking yourself how someone who disagrees with you might respond to each of the points you’ve made or your position as a whole."

Do not get manipulated, have critical thinking and reading:
"Critical reading is a big part of understanding argument. Although some of the material you read will be very persuasive, do not fall under the spell of the printed word as authority." Example: pretendracecars
Always double and triple check if the claim (statement) and the follow up argument are veridical (veridical meaning: truthful, coinciding with reality)

I will be very happy when some sim racing individuals calm down and write their text in an educated manner that explains the point himself is making, so that it gives a chance for another person to reply in an educated manner as well.

Wow I didn't realize that feature was premium only.

it's associat0r of course, he rates every anti-AC post agree and pro-AC post haha or angry

Oh, so he got post rating unbanned. Cool beans.

I still didn't say i 'hated' the game... so your plain wrong.

The way you guys act all hurt for someone saying it like it is is funny as hell. If you love the game then why are you so bothered what someone else thinks of it? Is it because your confidence in your belief in the game is so paper thin you fear you will actually break and face up to the truth?

It may be ok for you people who the closest you get to a real race track is on a game, but as a guy who does track days and has raced cars and spent my youth karting, i can tell you AC doesn't feel right, no way can a game get close to real life but they can get closer than AC.
DiRT, PCars and hell even SLRE feel good and feel like about as close as i'd expect.
AC, nope, something isn't right, now maybe its the PS4 version i don't know, but either way it feels wrong , possibly a few cars are OK like the E30 DTM, but most just feel wrong and the FWD FIAT race car is awful and i've spent most of my track time in FWD cars...
If you like it then great, no worry, but if you did real life racing/track driving you'd see...

Last edited by a moderator:
I still didn't say i 'hated' the game... so your plain wrong.

The way you guys act all hurt for someone saying it like it is is funny as hell. If you love the game then why are you so bothered what someone else thinks of it?
I am bothered by that you see the need to attack the developer and the players of the sim over your issues with the software. "Idiot", "muppets", "nutters", "groupies", "cult" - rings a bell? Stop acting so surprised about the reactions.

The way you guys act all hurt for someone saying it like it is is funny as hell. If you love the game then why are you so bothered what someone else thinks of it? Is it because your confidence in your belief in the game is so paper thin you fear you will actually break and face up to the truth?
I don't see anyone acting all hurt over your comments. I'm sure they do struggle trying to understand why a grown man spends portions of his free time hanging out on message boards of games he dislikes, just to remind everybody how crappy he thinks the game is. I know it baffles me. Everything you state is an opinion. Many people share your opinion and dislike Assetto Corsa. Heck, some people do downright hate it. Other people, however, enjoy it very much. These are all opinions. You can try to impress us with your racing & track day experience, or maybe try to convince us that your opinion is somehow more valid than theirs, but I've never seen it work. Not once.

There is a poster on another forum who actively races a Lamborghini Huracan Super Trofeo. His opinion is quite different than yours. It's still just his opinion. Perhaps you can try to convince him how he's wrong, you know, based on that incredible motorsports experience you possess. His opinion is his. Your opinion is yours. My opinion is mine.

The difference is, you spend your time on the forums telling people how crap their game of choice is, while I and most other people choose to spend our time on the forums posting about the game(s) we enjoy. Again, you're not changing anyone's opinion. So, it brings me back to my original point. It is incredibly strange to watch grown adults act in this manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes