Alright when was that again.....?

When I'm old and talking about "the good old days", there's one memory that will always come to mind when this question arises.

It won't be Schumacher winning 7 titles, or Hamilton winning 7, 8, 9 or even more if Merc keep producing monsters, it will be Baku in 2018.

One of the McLarens was hit on lap one, shredding the right front and rear tyres in the opening corners, and tearing off most of the rear of the floor. This was a car that any other driver in the history of F1 would have parked up. However, it wasn't just any driver in it. There was no complaining. There was no panic. He got it back to the pits, even through the notoriously narrow castle section (on two wheels). Despite the damage rendering his McLaren the slowest car on the grid, he managed to fight from the back of the field to finish a remarkable 7th.

Fernando Alonso is the most relentless, determined and all-round complete driver that has ever graced a Formula One grid, and that for me makes him the greatest of all time.

Last edited:
We will never know who is as the greats drove in different eras, in vastly different cars, on different tracks, and against different competitors. The names mentioned are all Greatest Of Their Time. I would vote “No” regardless of the name but it’s good reading.

Lewis is a great driver with seven championships in the top car. But the greatest of all time is Jim Clark - also winning in sports cars, touring cars and Indy 500 . Graham Hill, Fernando Alonso, Juan Pablo Montoya, Jenson Button arguably less successful but have competed at the top level in open wheel and endurance/sports cars.

No matter how much you might dislike him or disagree with his views, he is undisputably the GOAT.

Yes, he’s won in a lot of competitive cars, the same is true for any potential GOAT choice, but he’s also won when other cars in the grid have been faster, he’s shown his pace in poor weather and has maintained his pace for years when a lot of others have lost their edge with age.

Inside the car, he’s the fastest driver ever to have lived.

And this pretty much sums it up. He has been the most consistent of any driver on the grid for years, that's why he continues to win. He rarely every makes mistakes and always puts out a top notch performance. He probably deserves the nickname Iceman.

if all a person knows of old F1 is highlight reels and people waxing nostalgic, then they should be forgiven for not realising there were some boring processions of a race in every era...same for “engine sounds like crap” or “cars/tracks need to be 100% unsafe to be called racing” arguments.

Nonsense. Watch an old race, something from 1984 or 1985. It's still tons of fun. The cars were much more exciting and the drivers had different styles. From mid 90's, F1 started to become boring.

But nowadays, it's just a snooze fest.

Nonsense. Watch an old race, something from 1984 or 1985. It's still tons of fun. The cars were much more exciting and the drivers had different styles. From mid 90's, F1 started to become boring.

But nowadays, it's just a snooze fest.

I’m speaking from experience...I’ve seen some that were light on battles and overtakes beyond the first 5-10 laps...just like today’s races. Don’t even talk about 88 and 89 for example...as I said earlier, McLaren were the Mercedes of that time; they won nearly all the races during those two years. There were also amazing races of course, but my point is there have beern also great races in the modern era...to say every race since the hybrid era lacked action is very misguided. The cars of today are technical monsters, modern and very tech heavy...but so we’re those 80’s cars...

There are always growing pains with innovations, but they’re improving/refining it...maybe the 2022 cars (and beyond) might change your mindset one day.

For me yes he is to equal alonso in his first season that was special since then he's not been everyones cup of tea and if i'm honest he turned into a bit of an idiot but his talent is unquestionable

To say if he is the GOAT as say Rossi is in Motogp is very hard he's had the best car for some time now but such is true of many greats MS included.

Rosberg who was not untalented had to go to such levels to beat him levels that he was not willing to continue that speaks highly to me of the raw talent Hamilton has.

GOAT is impossible to name, different eras have different GOATs. For me in 2007-2018, 3 drivers delivered maximum from available equipment: Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel. In last few years it was also Verstappen.
With same type of support in team, any of these 4 would do what happened in last 7 years. Although I think some(or most) of them would turn around 2016 too.
Watching since 1999, and young age “heroes” having advantage, for me nobody will get ahead of Schumacher. But, watching videos and reading, made me put Fangio, Clark and Senna with him. That would be my fantastic four if needed. Above four could be fantastic 4 of last 15 years.
Regarding question, and if pressured with gun to choose a goat I couldn’t say Hamilton since he is not even my best UK driver.

Last edited:
I just look on Lewis as the best in his era because of the best car! The fact that George Russell at the last minute jumped into this car and did a fantastic job says it all! To be even considered a GOAT (IMO) You have to perform miracles with a dog of a car like Ayrton did!

Last edited:
Hamilton a goat hell no..

His girlfriend makes more money then he does. So his girl friend got the pants on. (In dutch meaning : he can act all tuff and all but within the walls of his home the girlfriend is boss..)
(Last girlfriend i know of hamilton was that girl from that girl band p-cat dolls)

He wants to make more money..
10% off mercedes prize money
And 50 mil a year.

But on the other hand he was saying
Its not the right time to sign a new contract because lot of people losing there jobs and all (covid ****)

Well he got money enough so he also could say well i drive for 10 mil at williams or living his dream to drive for ferrari (as he said he allways dreamed of racing for ferrari)

If he did something like what i said above here then he is in my eyes a goat but now he is just a golddigger and a hypocrite in my eyes

Last edited:
I voted "no" as it is not only about the sheer numbers. First of all it takes more than the driver as you need the material to win and that takes into account many more factors. I'll admit that goes for every driver considered to be the greatest.
While I respect what he has achieved together with his team I would still hold drivers like Moss, Clark, Fangio and Senna in higher regard. It's the personality and the way they present themselves that matters for me, too.

so? Hamiltons teammates all did more or less the same as him in those cars (apart from Kovaleinen). So Hamiltons better than Kovaleninen...who knew?!!
You are the only one talking about Kovaleinen :D and you missed the point in my post: it is Hamilton's consistency over his whole career that makes him special. By the way the difference between "more or less" is record-breaking titles/poles/wins/etc and a single title.

And arguing that Hamilton drove only good cars is as pointless as arguing Messi or Cristiano only played in top clubs. That's just what the best do.

Last edited:

The video above is neither for or against him being the GOAT; I use to rate people in such ways but I realize more and more that GOAT debates in any profession/sport that evolves over time (pretty much all of them) are pointless, similar to who is the best musician of all time: Some people thinks it's how fast they can play, for some it's how many records they've sold, how many hit songs they've written, others think it's how well they can improvise. For others they worship their tone and for others it's just how their music makes them feel...endless reasons that inevitably make the GOAT moniker have little weight because there's no gold standard for greatness.

Similarly in racing you have fans with different barometers and different biases towards certain facets of what makes a driver the "best". Some drivers put in legendary drives or break records, that are praised by some and go unnoticed by others...so it's ultimately emotional arguments that can never have a clear cut winner. Even stats which were made for purposes of comparison are often disputed for every and any reason as well.

In the end, I think many arguments against Hamilton often discredit his achievements in a Merc unfairly and disregard the things he did pre-Mercedes and pre-F1. I think Hamilton should be ranked with the all time greats...no disclaimer, no asterisk...point blank period. All that said, lets assume a GOAT is possible:

The car argument:
Most of the drivers people are suggesting here as GOAT instead of Hamilton also won their WDC(s) in cars that were, at worse the 2nd best car and at best just as OP as the W11 was this year...how can you discredit Hamilton's innate ability because of the Merc and not discredit Schumacher for the Ferrari that was OP for at least 2-3 seasons and the 94 Benetton that allegedly had TC, or Mansell who only won a WDC in the active suspension Williams, Prost who won all but 1 WDC with McLaren: the "Merc" of the 1980's. It goes on and on...and for the record I think all those drivers I named are exceptional, however Hamilton doesn't get a pass for whatever reason. Where's the consistency? If Hamilton is average then half of the legends are average by proxy. Not to mention the whole car argument is nullified in rain races and HAM has proven himself time and time again in the wet in a Merc, In a Mclaren, in GP2, etc.

The technology argument: the "No driver in the modern era (i.e. last 20 years) can stand up to the real "legends" because the cars drive themselves nowadays" :roflmao:...so by that measure, any legend from the 70's to 90's must suck compared to 50's - 60's drivers because Aero (and subsequently ground effect) were some of the first "driver assists"...wait, but 60's drivers must also suck compared to the pre-1958-59 guys because having the engine behind you balanced the car much more...but then again drivers of today have to react at higher speeds and undergo way more G's than the 1950's guys...it's a circular argument. Similar is the "Fangio couldn't handle a modern car, Hamilton could handle a vintage car" opinion: A 20 year old "Fangio" growing up in this era would be a finely tuned athlete just like modern day guys and crush the competition...similarly, I believe a 40 year old "Hamilton" competing against mostly the upper class gentlemen with more money than skill would have the skills and build necessary to dominate. Don't assume either would lack the ability to adapt to their time...if we're entertaining hypothetical arguments that is.

The personality argument: People voting no simply because they don't like him (as a person, not as a driver)... LMAO :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:...I didn't realise being saintly/perfect outside the car (whatever that is to you) was a prerequisite of being the F1 GOAT...this isn't Miss Universe guys it's FORMULA ONE. None of the other guys frequently mentioned could claim to be any better...in fact, most of them are/were proper a-holes in one way or another depending on who you talk to...so irrelevant.

and finally...the "Russell dominated in the W11 in 1 race so Hamilton must suck" argument:
Russell is a strong F2 Champion that ended up in a crappy car. Russell is also 22 years old. Everyone likes to claim Russell/Leclerc/Verstappen would be WDC in the Merc (and I don't doubt that at all). HOWEVER...Hamilton is almost 15 years older than these guys...his reflexes shouldn't be on par or better than someone of their age and caliber in a single race, let alone countless races across several seasons...but somehow it is...that's not average.

That race didn't prove that Hamilton is average...the Merc is powerful, no argument there; on the contrary it showed that he's a middle age guy with the same speed as 20 year olds that trained for this all their life...and his proven consistency makes him more valuable than Russell, Verstappen and Leclerc (they'll get there, but not quite there yet). Lewis Hamilton is an exceptional Formula 1 driver...there was only one direction this poll could go (given past threads about him)...but that doesn't mean Hamilton is not brilliant or not deserving of being in the GOAT discussion.

why is that when people say Lewis is not the GOAT that it automatically means they don't acknowledge his skill. No sane person thinks Lewis is crap, or average, or that he's not brilliant. It's not a valid counter argument, because it's a counter to what hardly anyone is saying (apart from a few knobs).

Is Lewis a top F1 driver? Yes
Is he the GOAT? Nope

You are the only one talking about Kovaleinen :D and you missed the point in my post: it is Hamilton's consistency over his whole career that makes him special. By the way the difference between "more or less" is record-breaking titles/poles/wins/etc and a single title.

No you were talking about in the "average" cars, he didn't do anything special over his teamates in those cars apart from Kovaleinen. He's a top F1 driver, as are many others. In the "average" merc in 2013 he was as good as Rosberb, in the average McLaren he was as good as Button. The only teammates he really outperformed and dominated in average cars was Kovaleninen. so all this "he's great because he won in average cars" means nothing.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 38 84.4%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 15 33.3%