Alright when was that again.....?

I do believe that engine manufacturers that supply to customers provide the engine as a component. Similar to consumable parts and when an engine has met its life cycle it is returned to manufacturer for service. In F1, at least, you hear the expression of swapping out engines which leads me to think it is simply taking a crate engine and replacing rather than re-working.

Karting is a lot of fun and quite rewarding with time.
Due to the extremely low center of gravity, you are less likely to flip a kart.
Notice I highlighted less likely.
If you get off track and hit a rut, it can 'dig-in' and go over...though less likely.
I started in a home-build before transitioning to 90cc and then 125cc shifters.
All were great fun.
Go for it...you won't regret it.

Knighthoods are rare in sport (especially motorsport), well done. Only three other living legends have this - Sir Jackie Stewart (who is LH's biggest critic for some reason),
If you listen to many British drivers during any type of commentary...with the exception of Damon Hill, Jensen Button and Johnny Herbert... jealousy rears it's 'ugly' head.
Martin Brundle and Jackie Stewart are particularly bad about it.
It is disappointing.

A knighthood is a "lifetime achievement" and is something that should be awarded at the end of someone's career, not simply because it would be a popular decision in the current political climate amongst a select, vocal section of society.

I think this award is appalling, when we have doctors and nurses laying down their lives for us, simply doing their jobs.

A knighthood is a "lifetime achievement" and is something that should be awarded at the end of someone's career, not simply because it would be a popular decision in the current political climate amongst a select, vocal section of society.

I think this award is appalling, when we have doctors and nurses laying down their lives for us, simply doing their jobs.
In the Netherlands it is even worse, when being chearman of the chicken farms, you will get a Royal Medal after 20 years. Pfffffffffff:poop:

It's an award for public services; many who get it are heavily involved with charity work, creating income/jobs. Age is completly irrelevant.

Whoever gets it, inevitably there will be a lot of whining about it but in the end, it doesn't matter either way.

I don't know what the big deal is with Knighthoods. The Royal family have little if any power. But those who like them caim they are important today. Just ask what has say the Royals done latley. How are she going to help fix the economy as we leave the EU. Probably nothing just pretending to be be busy. As for Lewis he has a nice little meadal or trophy to sit with all the others. It just makes him important outside F1. Will he use his powers for good or just think he is better than anyone else because of the tittle. The answer we will see in the next 5 years.

I agree. Not a Lewis fan but I do respect what he tries to do for charity and awareness issues. However, I think he has a lot more of that to do before being worthy of a knighthood. The reality is that he's been knighted for his seven world championships, and because of his popularity with the British public, and I personally think that's wrong. He's a great driver sure, but so what? That doesn't make the world or our country a better place.

Following on from your example of Doctors and nurses, Lewis is just doing his "job" too, so why does he deserve awards for being good at it, whereas thousands of "normal" people really doing good and saving lives don't?

Personally I don't think sporting prowess should ever be criteria for knighthood. It should be based entirely on someone's work to make society better for everyone, or perhaps an act of extreme bravery or self-sacrifice on behalf of others. Handing them to athlete just for being athletes cheapens them in my view.

Geez, some people...

This is the highest honor that can be bestowed in England. That a Black man from modest means could join the likes of Jackie Stewart and Sterling Moss would be unheard of a decade ago. In the States, we still worship Michael Jordan even though he was an egotistical prick who didn't give a flip about using his platform for good. Hamilton is 10x the man Jordan is.

Arguing that knighthood should go for regular frontline workers is weak. Just as we do for soldiers, there are a ton of gestures, memorials and awards for them. It's a straw-man argument. It's like complaining about who wins the Oscars because a lot of small-budget films never got a wide release.

For racing being such a globally popular sport, it's hard to find someone who has done more good away from the track than Hamilton. It's weird. Senna and Schumacher are practically deified by fans. No one criticized them for their public persona or dominance. Hamilton gets that in spades. Gee, I wonder why that is,

He's as deserving as anyone. Would be weird for him to get the knighthood, then lose he's job at Mercedes and be out of the sport for a while. Still not signed and apparently not being looked on favourably by top brass in the team.

I agree. Not a Lewis fan but I do respect what he tries to do for charity and awareness issues. However, I think he has a lot more of that to do before being worthy of a knighthood. The reality is that he's been knighted for his seven world championships, and because of his popularity with the British public, and I personally think that's wrong. He's a great driver sure, but so what? That doesn't make the world or our country a better place.

Following on from your example of Doctors and nurses, Lewis is just doing his "job" too, so why does he deserve awards for being good at it, whereas thousands of "normal" people really doing good and saving lives don't?

Personally I don't think sporting prowess should ever be criteria for knighthood. It should be based entirely on someone's work to make society better for everyone, or perhaps an act of extreme bravery or self-sacrifice on behalf of others. Handing them to athlete just for being athletes cheapens them in my view.

"The New Year Honours 2021 lists have been published, marking the achievements and service of extraordinary people across the United Kingdom." That's from the gov.uk site that published the honours list. I believe the reasons for the award is the rather generic 'services to motorsport', I can't see any mention of his activism. I'm not sure why people are argueing that Lewis shouldn't have been recognised in this years list. Lewis didn't 'just do his job' this year, he cemented his place and legacy as one of the greatest (statistically at least) Formula One drivers of all time, whether you or me agree he was the best, personally. Formula One being, whether people like it, one of; if not the most prestigious motorsports competitions in the world. He is, without a doubt (statistically) by far and away the most decorated British driver, his nearest equal has already recieved his knighthood. When you look back in the record books now you'll see Lewis' name topping lists of all time wins, poles and equalling World titles and alongside his name you'll see "British".

I mean, for an award system drenched in references to Empire, the lad has got the National anthem played on average once a month in front of a global audience for the past 6 years.

He absolutely meets and exceeds the criteria for his honour as it sets out. Sure, he didn't cure cancer but that's not what's being recognised. It's not even that he's an outlier in this. The New Years Honour Lists are filled with sportspeople, musicians, actors, writers etc.

As mentioned by a poster above, there's already awards and honours for bravery and galantry. If Lewis saved Grosjean from that fire, jumped back into what was left of the cockpit to retrieve his missing shoe and then came from 5 laps down to still win the race (all while under enemy fire) I'm sure he'd be a shoe-in for a Victoria Cross too.

I don't see anything that stipulates that an honour can only be awarded at the end of a career (or to wait 'til the recipient has croaked it!). It might of made sense to wait a short while longer for Lewis to see out his career but, to be fair, he's reached the key milestones of his career this passed year. He's just further cementing his legacy at this point.

I'm not sure what you're alluding to with the 'vocal section of society' line (hopefully not some 'It's PC gone mad' style rant :laugh: ). He did also win Sport Personality via public vote over an England International footballer and Captain of a Liverpool side that won their first League title over 25 years. It's not like he's unheard of or unliked outside of motorsports circles or is being propped up by the establishment as some kind of flavour-of-the-month poster boy.

Again, to repeat, it's not unusual (Tom Jones, OBE) for people that are not frontline NHS to recieve honours. So it's not a surprise a sportsperson who has set a new benchmark to beat in motorsports gets a nod. Like, the timing isn't even odd. You could also argue he should of got it sooner as soon as he became the most sucessful British F1 driver.

In fact, it's just as much tradition that many 'ordinary' people are bestowed an honour. I mean take a look at how the BBC covered this years awards...

Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton has been knighted in a New Year Honours list which salutes hundreds of people for their work in the Covid pandemic.
Hamilton, who took his seventh title in November, is on the list with actress Sheila Hancock, who is made a dame.
Ex-footballer Jimmy Greaves and musician Craig David become MBEs.
But it is the response to coronavirus which dominates, and an MBE for charity volunteer Anne Baker, 106, makes her the oldest ever recipient of an honour.
Mrs Baker, from Salisbury, who has been involved with fundraising for the NSPCC since the 1950s, said it was a "great surprise and great honour" to be recognised.
Ruth Saunders, aged 104, becomes an MBE for services to charity during Covid after walking a marathon to raise money for Thames Valley Air Ambulance this year.

The same honour goes to airline pilot Emma Henderson, from Moray, who set up a first class lounge experience in more than 80 hospitals across the UK for NHS staff.
There is an MBE for Mark Owen, from Clwyd, after he re-joined North Wales Police to support volunteer officers with tasks including delivering prescriptions and food parcels, and a British Empire Medal (BEM) for Catherine Fitzsimmons from Greater Manchester, a former palliative care nurse who came out of retirement.

There is a BEM too for Carl Konadu, 28, who helped young people in London prepare for job applications during the pandemic through 2-3 Degrees, a not-for-profit group he co-founded.
The recognition for hundreds of people involved in the Covid response continues the trend set in the delayed Birthday Honours in October.

I don't see how recognising Lewis' achievements in anyway downplays the exceptional contributions of those who have made sacrifices this past year to help others and no amount of awards or honours will recognise every person that has strived to make their country a better place. We can celebrate more than one at a time though. ;)

For sure there is a lot of salt flying around in this country every year around this time :roflmao:. It's the same every year, but it was funny when David Beckham got caught out whining about others who got it but why not him a few years ago.

FYI - Medical professionals can and do get this award and similar ones for public services.

Back to F1 more interesting stuff:
^Yes, interesting development today that LH might leave Mercedes because of the contract.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back