Alright when was that again.....?

This exacerbates it. The movement has created more rifts. It has not achieved anything. You can not have one without the other. The tactic is total virtue signalling.
I don't want to keep arguing but now you are pivoting to something unrelated, We are talking about this car and the sport of F1, not the entire movement.

I keep watching the Formula 1 series on Netflix over and over...'Formula 1: Drive To Survive'.

And the one on Amazon which focused on McLaren for the 1st season (2017) if I remember right.
Here it is... https://www.amazon.com/Change-is-in...rmula+1&qid=1593444889&s=instant-video&sr=1-6

Last edited:
Physics. In the visible spectrum, black is the absorption of all colors. ... A black pigment can, however, result from a combination of several pigments that collectively absorb all colors. If appropriate proportions of three primary pigments are mixed, the result reflects so little light as to be called "black".

In additive color mixing, like light, all the colors combined create white. Consider a prism and imagine the process in reverse. In subtractive color mixing, like paint, all the colors combined create black. ... Red, Blue, and Yellow can appear (when mixed in the right proportions) to make black, but it's actually brown.

We are both right.
oh, damn, I was going to point that out, but you beat me to it. good point.

Enlighten me.

Can we just not enjoy a sport without been fed moral bullshit?

The WADA Code goes on to state that ‘The spirit of sport is the celebration of the human spirit, body and mind’. This is reflected in the values we find in and through sport including: ethics, fair play and honesty; health; excellence in performance and fun and joy.

Is the above statement moralistic? Is it BS? How is this statement different from those being made in recent weeks that you disagree with?

Nice livery.

Always liked black on F1 cars, just like the classic Lotus 72 JPS.
Same with the tradionally silver arrows.

<OT>
Call my cynical...

In the end this is just marketing mixed with corporate virtue signaling, all superficial and of little real consequence - it won’t change any of the real social injustice in the world. Just like much of the current protesting, statue toppling and name changing - all superficial and of little lasting consequence. After this round of window dressing those who are exploiting inequality today, wlll continue to exploit inequality tomorrow and those who are being exploited today will continue to be exploited tomorrow.

Most of this is just a big distraction.
<OT OFF>

Now back to racing :)
Agreed, racing can't come soon enough, man... :)

Can we just not enjoy a sport without been fed moral bullshit?

The WADA Code goes on to state that ‘The spirit of sport is the celebration of the human spirit, body and mind’. This is reflected in the values we find in and through sport including: ethics, fair play and honesty; health; excellence in performance and fun and joy.

Is the above statement moralistic? Is it BS? How is this statement different from those being made in recent weeks that you disagree with?

I don't disagree with any of it. Its how you interpret it that makes it very precarious. There is a difference between force feeding and general concern. And from Mercedes? This has been answered above.

I sincerely do not get it. Show me the numbers on Mercedes' diversity within staff as opposed to average numbers in the relevant slice of population and we might start a meaningful discussion about race. But painting a car black? Beats me.
The way I think about it is in the context of specific support. I'm old enough to remember the effect of 9/11. Here in North America you'd see random people wearing NYPD or NYFD shirts and hats. It wasn't saying all other police and fire departments don't matter, it was a showing of support for a specific subset of people.

So when someone sports a shirt saying "Black Lives Matter", it doesn't mean that any other life does not matter, it's just a showing of support for a specific group or cause. In the context of this new Mercedes livery, I don't know for certain of course, but I suspect the cause they are targeting is equality of opportunity in motorsports specifically, but also the greater cause of equality in society.

This comment section is littered with many opinions generally falling into "why am I supposed to bear guilt for something I didn't do", or "don't white lives matter", or "when will all of this virtue signalling stop", or "this is nothing but pandering to a hot topic". All of these are interesting points, and it would take more than a forum comment to unpack the nuances of them, but for me the big takeaway is that a large and influential corporation is making a public statement against racism, which I think we can all agree is a good stance even if you don't agree with how it's being expressed. And to tie things back to my original point, wearing an FDNY shirt didn't solve terrorism, but it showed solidarity. That's all I take Mercedes' gesture to mean.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.