Alright when was that again.....?

This is surprising, I thought McLaren were very secure. I'm assuming their consumer car market is their biggest source of income, so I suppose if that market dries up for any amount of time they are going to have trouble.

They are popular, and should be a good investment. Hope they find the funding they need to continue.

I am not surprised by the reactions here. They remind me of the reactions when the W series was created. But to those that are annoyed/angered by this, I will only ask one question: Do you lose anything because of this? Will this new paint scheme keep you from watching F1? Does it cost you money? Answer to all three questions: no. So why all the negativity? As for the accusations of hypocrisy: yes, F1 routinely makes deals with the devil, but things can't change overnight. We *all* make compromises. If only perfect people could make political/social statements, nobody would be able to do so.

"Look at us! We are against bad things!!" Is no message.

It's just meaningless virtue signalling, meaning: "Look at us, and our sponsors!!". Just like all companies doing the same kind of thing.

No racist stops being one because of this.
Okay and? How is this bad? Its not hurting anybody unless of course, you are racist. People aren't going to think all of the sudden Mercedes is an amazing company just because of this. It's just a nice gesture.

It's sad to see the German racing color silver gone from Mercedes. Just painting something black does nothing to support the cause of anti racism and there is no clear message on the car from what I can see.
"END RACISM" on the halo. Toto Wolff clearly presented the black livery as supporting the cause of antiracism.

Le triple post (or at least three posts in close succession).
Livery wise the Mercedes-theme has somewhat come full circle now.
While Ilmor had been in F1 some years already with Leyton House/March and Tyrrell.

In 1993 they signed a deal with Sauber after Sauber and Mercedes scrapped their plans to enter with Merc-build engines. However, Daimler-Benz bought 25% of Ilmor for 1993, and Sauber used Sauber-badged Ilmor-made engines that season, with Mercedes overseeing the project, thus using "Concept by Mercedes-Benz" on the car.
lehto.jpg

Encouraged by this, Mercedes now badged the engines for 1994, and Sauber-Mercedes was a thing.
58828ceb262f03e5a7a7c3596b996cfe.jpg

This deal kept on for years. Ilmor was the company, Mercedes was a minority owner, and Ilmor made the engines that would power McLaren from 1995 and onwards. In 2002 Mercedes upped their ownership to over 50% and bought out Ilmor completely in 2005. This company is the same that produces the Mercedes engines in F1 today.

So, merging the liveries from 1993 and 1994 when Mercedes and what's now Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains. Add sponsor colors and you get pretty close to 2020 livery.

Note that there still is a company called Ilmor (they worked with Renault/Red Bull trying to fix some of the issues Renault had in the early hybrid era). That is Mario Ilien, the surviving half of Ilmor, and Roger Penske. That company does a lot of work outside motorsport, but also does the Chevy engines in IndyCar, and the spec engines in NASCAR Truck series. But while it was setup as a US-division of the original companies, the two have nothing to with each other today.

"END RACISM" on the halo. Toto Wolff clearly presented the black livery as supporting the cause of antiracism.
Toto does realize that

1. Anti racism basically means anti white
2. The word "Racist" was invented by the USSR's Leon Trotsky to demonize those who opposed communism and
3. The motoring arm of Mercedes Benz was infact funded by an Austrian painter whose letter begins with A, doesn't he?

Blatant hypocrisy and pandering is going to end up being the death of all us.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back