Alonso to Contest 2020 Dakar Rally?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Alonso Dakar 2020 .jpg

If rumours are to be believed, Fernando Alonso is set to contest the legendary Dakar Rally in 2020...

Continuing a journey of self discovery since leaving Grand Prix racing at the end of 2018, former double Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso is believed to be heading off to the Dakar Rally next year, teaming up once again with his Toyota Gazoon Racing team for a crack of the long distance off road event.

Having tested the Toyota Hilux machine earlier this year, Alonso is understood to be scheduled in for more time behind the wheel of the big off road machine later this year, as team and driver ramp up preparations ahead of an assault on the 2020 running of the Dakar Rally - set to be held in Saudi Arabia for the first time next season.

Alonso is in line to make his competitive debut in off road racing as early as next month, with an entry in the South African Harrismith 400 scheduled alongside an intensive testing schedule for the Spanish driver, as he continues to acclimatise to endurance off road racing.

“I’m really excited to continue my adventure with TOYOTA GAZOO Racing" said the former Minardi, Renault, McLaren and Ferrari F1 driver. "Together we have achieved so much since I first drove a Toyota in November 2017, with our two consecutive wins at Le Mans, the World Endurance Championship for the team and a drivers’ title with my teammates Sébastien and Kazuki. I got a taste of off-road rallying earlier this year and it left me with a good feeling that I want to prolong. I knew it would be a totally different experience with a steep learning curve but the Hilux just felt great; it gave me so much confidence so quickly and I was improving loop after loop. I’m really looking forward to the next few months of training, getting to know the Hilux and working with the team. I’ve always maintained I want to pursue new challenges in different disciplines and I’m at a great team to do that.”

Although no official confirmation of the move to compete at Dakar has been forthcoming from either Toyota or Alonso, an announcement is expected to be presented in the coming weeks.

An interesting choice, and one that will surely add some further intrigue in what is one of the most spectacular forms of motorsport anywhere in the world.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Journey of discovery or a driver that is having trouble finding a discipline to replace Formula 1?
Got the feeling he doesn't know what he wants to do but is using his clout to do what he wants for a bit. Good for him but that clout will eventually run out I think.

Such a shame... this guy in Hamilton's car would have 7 world championships.

They were once in the same car... The result was? This guy is way too popular for someone with only 2 WC. Only because his high profile endeavors happened during the internet boom. Other F1 drivers with 2 WC arguably deserves the same. I don't hate Fernando. I actually like him and cheered for him that indy 500 race he did. But when targets are set and you flop more than twice, actually a lot, all other announcements that follow feels like just seeking attention. "Look at me! Look at me!" After bland results here, it will not surprise me if he tries moto GP.

Seriously, I like him. And I will cheer for him again if he goes back to F1 and maybe again in Indycar. But c'mon... silly activities outside your comfort zone?

And yes! Carlos Sainz definitely more qualified at this :poop:...

I suppose at least a women will now be allowed to race the Dakar in Saudi Arabia alongside Alonso, as they recently changed their law.

They were once in the same car... The result was? This guy is way too popular for someone with only 2 WC. Only because his high profile endeavors happened during the internet boom. Other F1 drivers with 2 WC arguably deserves the same. I don't hate Fernando. I actually like him and cheered for him that indy 500 race he did. But when targets are set and you flop more than twice, actually a lot, all other announcements that follow feels like just seeking attention. "Look at me! Look at me!" After bland results here, it will not surprise me if he tries moto GP.

I couldn't agree more....I think the guy gets way more credit for being this great driver because of his popularity

If he's so popular, and I'm in no way disregarding his skills behind the wheel here, why won't any F1 team touch him?
He's burned bridges, he riled people up the wrong way and now he's trying to find an in somewhere to keep driving.
If he was that popular he would be getting multiple F1 seat offers, of which he is not as far as we know...

Ghoults

Lasse Luisu
If he was that popular he would be getting multiple F1 seat offers, of which he is not as far as we know...
There is a rumor that red bull asked alonso and he denied. Or someone asked and someone denied I don't remember exactly. But I'm sure a team like haas, racing point or renault would love to have him in their car. I don't think there is any other except mercedes that is worth comeback for alonso though.

There is a rumor that red bull asked alonso and he denied. Or someone asked and someone denied I don't remember exactly. But I'm sure a team like haas, racing point or renault would love to have him in their car. I don't think there is any other except mercedes that is worth comeback for alonso though.
It's a shame really. As like others have said, in the right car he'd have multiple extra WDCs to his name in F1. Still, I know he wants the triple crown, even though it's not really a thing, and going after that will take it's time and effort I'm sure.
Guess he's in the enviable position of being able to pick and choose disciplines. Nice 'issue' to have.

If he's so popular, and I'm in no way disregarding his skills behind the wheel here, why won't any F1 team touch him?
He's burned bridges, he riled people up the wrong way and now he's trying to find an in somewhere to keep driving.
Red Bull asked him to replace Gasly, Mclaren wanted him in their car until he left, he was not kicked out to give way to give Sainz a chance, plenty of rumors around midfield teams wanting him but he just didn't want the offers.

Maybe Alonso still has the dream of winning for Ferrari and he's just waiting for the call, because those "rumours" about RedBull got pretty big(And AFAIK they didn't even deny it). You never know. And btw popularity doesn't doesn't give places in F1, and 2020 may be the last year for him.

Journey of discovery or a driver that is having trouble finding a discipline to replace Formula 1?
Got the feeling he doesn't know what he wants to do but is using his clout to do what he wants for a bit. Good for him but that clout will eventually run out I think.
the fact that he is talked about wherever he joins is enough for every series to get him to join.

If he does a full Indycar season next year, much more european and south american eyes will be on that championship.
just like more folks will care about Dakar again.

He has the power to get folks interested, and he can choose what to do. and you can see his point only to participate where he has a chance to win.
10 more years in sports car racing are no problem for him

Lately it kinda feels like you open a can of sardines, and out comes Alonso...

(I have nothing against the guy himself, just to point out.)

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 85 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 9.6%
  • €3001-5000