AI Line Helper

Apps AI Line Helper 2022.03.08

Login or Register an account to download this content
Will I have to hold shift every time I want to do a race? Looking through the discussion it seems that I shouldn't have to hold shift every single time I enter a race.

- I created left and right boundary lines
- Then reloaded the track holding shift (new boundaries loaded as they should)
- Created a new fast_lane.ai
- Exit the race, and removed fast_lane.ai and replaced it with fast_lane.ai.candidate
- Replaced ideal_line.ai with new fast_lane.ai
- Enter sessions again (holding shift), and created new pit_lane.ai.

The new boundaries will still only load if I hold shift, otherwise it goes back to what the default boundaries were when track was downloaded. The new fast_lane.ai and pit_lane.ai work as intended. Not a huge deal, but it seems like there should be a way to make it so I don't have to hold shift every time.

This track does have a few files other tracks seem to not have: fast_lane_payloads.bin, pit_lane_payloads.bin, and pit_lane_with_grid.ai. Just for kicks I deleted these files, entered a session (holding shift) and recorded a new fast_lane.ai. It automatically created 3 new files to replace the ones I deleted. Don't really know what those do, but that did not change anything.

Is this working as intended or should the new boundaries load automatically once I create a new fast_lane with the boundaries loaded?

If you record a new ai-line, borders in resulting "fastlane.....candidate" file can be different from whats correct. Rename it to "fast_lane.ai".

Now you can import your correct borders from the boundaries in "side_l/r.csv" by holding shift. This get immediately baked into "fastlane.ai", no "new" candidate file then.

You just got the order wrong i guess.

...payloads... stuff is when you have rainFX configured, csp then generates those on its own.

Last edited:
So in theory, I should just be able to start a new session (holding shift) and that will basically just replace the boundaries in the fas_lane.ai so I dont have to hold shift in future events?

Last edited:
Hmm. I don't think it is crossing anywhere. I will have to double check. I have loaded boundaries into a race with the new fast lane and it worked flawlessly. AI were super competitive and smooth.

Would this happen if the pit line crossed the boundary? Not sure if you are familiar with Sebring, but originally the right boundary at the s/f was on the far side of the pit. This resulted in the AI smashing the divider wall between the track and pit lane. So I moved the boundary to the divider wall. Technically this puts the pit lane outside the boundary. If this is an issue, what is the best way to remedy the AI smashing the divider wall? Ai_hints?

not 100% sure but pitlane.ai should not be considered by ai for fastlane.ai.

"I have loaded boundaries into a race with the new fast lane and it worked flawlessly."
You mean after loading boundaries once, they are different in next race, where you didnt import borders with shift? sorry, i have no idea why.

Last edited:
not 100% sure but pitlane.ai should not be considered by ai for fastlane.ai.

"I have loaded boundaries into a race with the new fast lane and it worked flawlessly."
You mean after loading boundaries for one race, they are different in next race, where you didnt import borders with shift?

Correct. I loaded into a race holding shift and the correct boundaries were there. If I start another race right after that and don't hold shift, the boundaries revert back to what the original creator set.

oh man i just checked, with CSP enabled it will not work, disable patch :cry:
1611005172044.png

Last edited:
Oof, that is unfortunate. Okay that fixed the issue! So we just need to disable CSP while we are working on AI lines. Once we are finished we can turn it back on.

Honestly, this isn't that big a deal, easy work around! I really appreciate you @Please Stop This! I have played AC for years, but just now started getting heavily into CM, CSP, SOL, and PP Filters. I love racing AI and I noticed a lot of mod tracks don't have good AI lines. I'm hoping I can help make good track boundaries and ai lines, and then share with the track creator for others to enjoy!

Oof, that is unfortunate. Okay that fixed the issue! So we just need to disable CSP while we are working on AI lines. Once we are finished we can turn it back on.

Honestly, this isn't that big a deal, easy work around! I really appreciate you @Please Stop This! I have played AC for years, but just now started getting heavily into CM, CSP, SOL, and PP Filters. I love racing AI and I noticed a lot of mod tracks don't have good AI lines. I'm hoping I can help make good track boundaries and ai lines, and then share with the track creator for others to enjoy!
There's a cornucopia of ai lines posted over in the ac miscellaneous forums. To really make AI competitive you may end up fine tuning the lines for particular types of cars.

oh man i just checked, with CSP enabled it will not work, disable patch :cry:
View attachment 437582
It appears to work more or less. But it only saves the sidelines, not the fast lane.
(Context: I recorded a quick one for a track, downloaded a new one with side_x.csv, did the following, saved the sidelines but rolled back to my fast lane and not the one I downloaded).

Load the sidelines holding Shift;
Exit the game;
Delete the additional stuff so you're left with only fast_lane.ai and pitlane.ai;
Rename/delete side_r.csv and side_l.csv;
Delete ideal_line.ai;
Copy fast_lane.ai to ideal_line.ai.

Now it works without holding shift and the sidelines are saved. But again, it only saves the sidelines, not the fast lane. Even when recording a new fast lane while those correct side lines are in place, it discards the sidelines again.

Has anyone tried using one of the previously "recommended" CSP versions, like 0.1.60 or 0.1.46 to resolve the issue with using custom fast_lane and side_lines?

Has anyone tried using one of the previously "recommended" CSP versions, like 0.1.60 or 0.1.46 to resolve the issue with using custom fast_lane and side_lines?
"I am sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I didn't do that" ;)

...But again, it only saves the sidelines, not the fast lane. Even when recording a new fast lane while those correct side lines are in place, it discards the sidelines again.

What you mean? When recording new ai-line, its always saved as "...candidate" and AC uses only meshes marked as
IS_VALID_TRACK=1
in "surfaces.ini" to generate its ai-borders. To import your own border then (after renaming "....candidate" to "...ai") - you have to use shift procedure.

If "data\side_l/r.csv" have newer date than "fast_lane.ai" , you dont need shift, ac WILL try to read those automatically, as if you are holding shift. Obviously this would work only once, because afterwards "fast_lane.ai" is newer then.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1053025

Hey, Esotic!
Don't know if I'm doing sth wrong but the partial line correction doesn't seem to update the side_l & side_r csv files. Any hints on that? Been watching yout tutorial but it's a bit vague about this point...
Sorry if this has been answered before...
Regards!

Hey, Esotic!
Don't know if I'm doing sth wrong but the partial line correction doesn't seem to update the side_l & side_r csv files. Any hints on that? Been watching yout tutorial but it's a bit vague about this point...
Sorry if this has been answered before...
Regards!
I'm not aware of there being any issues with it. Which track are you trying to update partial side lines for? Did you create the side lines you are attempting to update, or did they come from someone else?

• Deleted member 1053025

I'm not aware of there being any issues with it. Which track are you trying to update partial side lines for? Did you create the side lines you are attempting to update, or did they come from someone else?
Hi, I'm updating Croft 1.0 AI, I've made new track limist using your tool w. Track lef/track right methods, then merged it (in a lack of a better term) with my new AI fast line. It is at this point I can't correct the track limits w. part left/part right.

I can start part left/right , but can't stop recording. The buttons finalize left/right do nothingin my case.
PS I am running AC with latest CSP preview

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 52 27.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 36 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 21 11.2%