After 1.3 sometimes missing down-shift ?

Tobbe Bergman

@Simberia
I've noticed since 1.3 that I often miss 3rd gear when trying to shift down from 4th with sequential ( Paddles or stick ) ?
The gear stays in 4th and I have to shift again to get down to 3rd.

No problems with this in Dirt Rally

Anyone else having this problem ?

also considering in road car you usualy run RMPs that are at ~30-35% of rev limiter RPMs there is no siginificant strees on the engine ... your revs just go up to revs you normally rev when accelerating ..

lol

All you gotta do is adjust your braking and downshifting range. Not find excuses about an integral system of the car, which is built-in like the rev limiter. If you don't want these "assists", talk to manufacturers to stop making cars that way, then devs will follow how those cars are built and replicate them in game that way as well.

I'm sad because manufacturers make ABS and TC as integral systems of the car and some game programmers think it's acceptable that you can turn it off as you like... but some others you can't!
Then suggest to devs to make ABS hardcoded in cars that don't have an easy switch/fuse for it. Just because ABS in game can be turned off, doesn't give the excuse for DSP to be the same.
Btw, TC can be turned all the way off in the cockpit, for race and street cars. In qualifying I think they don't use TC (maybe not all drivers, but some don't drive in qualify with tc), only in race.

But is more than that, it depends on the series regulations. Maybe some series don't allow mechanics to force off ABS. And here is the thing, DSP isn't even in question whether is allowed or not. Is part of the car, already took for granted, in all cars from the series.

Point is: If you're trying to do a racing SIM you should make all options configurable. You're a noob driving? Turn aids on to help your driving and not damaging your car! You're more of a pro driver? Turn them off! You want to make some amateur series? Let drivers use aids. Want more hardcore? Block them off! Simple as this...

DSP isn't an assist like TC and ABS. If you consider it assist that should be turned off/on, then you'd need to make all the computer trickery of racing cars and road cars with toggle on/off option. So you see, is not simple as that.
So I wonder why you race GT.x cars at all. With the all things in them that race cars from the 40s to 70s didn't have. Only those cars are for pro drivers. Rui, you'd need to exclusively race just the ford gt40, lotus 98t, 72d, 25. I hope you don't ever touch again the cars post the 90s. With their computer wizardry and assists for amateur race drivers. Oh yea, paddle shifting? Invention for amateur drivers who aren't pro enough to handle a clutch and manual shifter in racing conditions.

Peace my friend, this is over for me, already gave my point of view about things, there should be some flexibility and balance when we're talking about simulation, because every people are different and there are lots of different systems, rigs and hardware...

:thumbsup:

I kind of agree to DPS being hardcoded on cars that have it IRL ... that crazy downshifting that was possible before is was good thing .. and having option to turn it off would be gaining advatage .. imho .. ABS,TC, ESP are assist, DPS is not helping you .. in AC it is not implemented particulary well but we`ve been told that they are already working on it ..so lets see

Last edited:
I kind of agree to DPS being hardcoded on cars that have it IRL ... that crazy downshifting that was possible before is was good thing .. and having option to turn it off would be gaining advatage .. imho .. ABS,TC, ESP are assist, DPS is not helping you .. in AC it is not implemented particulary well but we`ve been told that they are already working on it ..so lets see

I didn't said to downshift like crazy, overreving the engine and having advantage, but to have damage instead if severely abused, two different things :thumbsup:

@Rui Santos well generaly speaking ... I hope with updated DSP if you downshift properly you wouldn`t even notice it (like in R3E where based on real drivers input the tolerance above revlimiter was extended) ... even now it is problem only on selected cars .. going from 3th to 2nd in Alfa 4C is pain in the a$$ :)

@Rui Santos well generaly speaking ... I hope with updated DSP if you downshift properly you wouldn`t even notice it (like in R3E where based on real drivers input the tolerance above revlimiter was extended) ... even now it is problem only on selected cars .. going from 3th to 2nd in Alfa 4C is pain in the a$$ :)

I think you can even adjust it in R3E, there's a slider in one of the menus that lets you adjust how early/late it engages. Not sure if it can be entirely disable though.

Sorry a bit late, but I don't get what this engine braking vs usage of the brake pedal is all about.
If I recall correctly my virtual race instructor made it very clear: do not use engine braking at all! It only unsettles the car and doesn't let you slow down faster, use the brake pedal to decelerate.
As far as I know these h&t work outs are only for being in the appropriate gear at turn in point.
As far as I'm concerned I can achieve this by just braking hard and switching to the right gear (with a small blip) just before I turn the wheel.
So why fighting the balance of the car by applying further instability through gearbox/drivetrain?

Sorry a bit late, but I don't get what this engine braking vs usage of the brake pedal is all about.
If I recall correctly my virtual race instructor made it very clear: do not use engine braking at all! It only unsettles the car and doesn't let you slow down faster, use the brake pedal to decelerate.
As far as I know these h&t work outs are only for being in the appropriate gear at turn in point.
As far as I'm concerned I can achieve this by just braking hard and switching to the right gear (with a small blip) just before I turn the wheel.
So why fighting the balance of the car by applying further instability through gearbox/drivetrain?

Seems like your "virtual race instructor" drives like miss Daisy...

well you are using brake and engine braking at the same time and by proper car/brake ballance (with stronger engine braking in RWD cars usualy brakes more towards front) and if available properly set engine braking you can be more effective and reduce you brake wear/temperatures (and therefore run lower aero if you want) .. sure in AC brake wear doesn`t matter but in other sims and real racing it does ..

So some say it's helpful, some say it isn't. ( Rui, you are still questioning you AC ban? )
But no one gets into the point of being in the appropriate gear at turn in, and how this can be achieved differently to h&t.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.