AC Track Reboot site gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys imagine what the mod forum here at RD would look like if every mod that violates a copyright protection was taken down? (Keep in mind that every real world logo used without written permission from the copyright holder is in violation)

Has always seemed a bit weird to me that extensively reworking a track/car from a (usually dead/outdated) game is a clear cut moral violation yet copying and pasting a trademarked logo is perfectly acceptable.

This is always going to be a controversial one.

I try to have something of a moral approach. If a good quality rip shows up, and I happen to own the game from which it was ripped (F1 201x, Project CARS, rFactor2, whatever) then I don't have much moral issue with using it. I already paid for the content, I'm just using it in a different context.

In that circumstance, it's not much different to buying a CD and ripping it to an MP3. You still bought the content, you're just playing it with a different player.

It's not like these corporations are going to be hurt by people downloading ripped tracks, and besides that the tracks on that site were very good, despite them not being scratch made for the most part

Jim is hanging up his modding boots for a while so won’t be working on anymore tracks hence why the reboot site is down as mentioned over at another forum. He offered anyone to take on the tracks and improve as required.

It was taken down due to copyright he just doesn't have the time to rebuild the site.

"yeh its down...just gonna leave it unless somebody wants to host..i dont really have time to figure somthing new out...im sure the links will still work....Jim"

Yep, after having raced on their Bathurst, Zolder and Macau I cannot do without those. Bathurst is just a must have track, and to me Macau too, they are absolutely nuts. Not to mention their Monaco, classic Monaco and classic Spa and the others. They are just filling gaps in AC, they are all super famous tracks in sim racing that AC just cannot miss.

I do agree though that stealing other people's 3d models etc is really not the way to go. Maybe the way to go is find the Australian equivalent of Lilski :D and ask him to make the "definitive" Bathurst.

I do agree though that stealing other people's 3d models etc is really not the way to go. Maybe the way to go is find the Australian equivalent of Lilski :D and ask him to make the "definitive" Bathurst.

It's on my list, as it's a public road there are no real issues with copyright either.

I personally don't get the fuss about the FM7 bathurst. rF1is still the best version available for moddable simulations (Which, might I add, is STILL the version that teams use in there simulators). FM7 was wildly inaccurate

It's on my list, as it's a public road there are no real issues with copyright either.

I personally don't get the fuss about the FM7 bathurst. rF1is still the best version available for moddable simulations (Which, might I add, is STILL the version that teams use in there simulators). FM7 was wildly inaccurate
Well I am no expert on Bathurst so I have no idea! it's just that when we had the race in our league there were guys who raced it in iRacing and they were saying it's very close to the iRacing version (which if I understand well is laser-scanned?).
So so so.. you planning on doing it? Yay!

I just want to add another point of view.....
Ok, many contents are ripped from other games and they are copyright protected.
BUT.... i suppose that the mutual exchange of that contents from a sim to the other, isn't a big issue for the developers, it's much more an advantage.... both AC, AMS, RF2, have now a greater appeal (= much money) in this way, especially speaking about tracks.
I suppose that they might make a legal claim, but they really don't want it, because this is the better way for them. At least for developers of mod-open games.

When Bathurst was released for rf1 we had three years of outrage about how bad and unrealistic it was, Meanwhile the author (stu?) I believe left the scene in disgust and refused to give anyone permission to use his work.

So yeah, Shame on all of us.I loved it on release and hated the outcome.

The next best thing to happen in sim racing, imo, Years later, were the two Bathurst release for AC, Both rips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back