AC Track Reboot site gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a very similar attitude towards modding way back when I used to make cars and maps for Invictus' 1nsane (10-12 years ago). Original, scratch-made content was king, and anyone who ripped from another game or stole another modders work was an outcast. This is when cars could be made in a week, and maps were based on a 1024x1024 heightmap, so a lot less work was involved back then.

That mentality has stuck with me to this day, as a modder. This topic appears to be viewed differently by modders and by consumers. People who happily spend 6 months of their life making a track object to someone else ripping one in its entirety from another game. Whereas most people who just drive seem happy to have as many stolen, poorly optimised tracks as they can get their hands on. Quite sad really.

Show some respect to your fellow modders, the tracks on the site in question were far from what you characterize them as.

Actually, given the fact that Alfie’ work leads the way in the downloads section, and all top rated, he’s one of the few whose opinion means something when it comes to the quality of a track.

All you seem to be contributing is bad mouthing anyone who doesn’t side with you...

So before you point fingers again, or take shots at content creators when they’ve expressed their opinions, remember who has more to lose if they walk away... ;)

Not a single upset modder in this thread has had their content ripped by that site, because the owner of that site would have taken it down at your request. You and Alfie don't have a horse in this race, you're making it your business.
But in response to your threat, I'm perfectly fine not driving on tracks that were made by people that have toxic knee jerk reactions to a harmless site. It's strange to me to even think if it in such terms as "who has more to lose" all the modding that I have done was simply because I wanted to. What I gained can't be lost.

Ironically, the only crime committed was the filing of a false DMCA takedown notice.

Not a single upset modder in this thread has had their content ripped by that site, because the owner of that site would have taken it down at your request. You and Alfie don't have a horse in this race, you're making it your business.
But in response to your threat, I'm perfectly fine not driving on tracks that were made by people that have toxic knee jerk reactions to a harmless site. It's strange to me to even think if it in such terms as "who has more to lose" all the modding that I have done was simply because I wanted to. What I gained can't be lost.

Ironically, the only crime committed was the filing of a false DMCA takedown notice.

I never claimed to have a horse in any race... all I did was defend a fellow modders opinion on the quality of ripped content... because he’s entitled to say something just as you are.

But sounds like you want to be THE only voice on here... even if it means bringing out the non-sense... have fun, I’m out :thumbsup:

Defend an obviously wrong opinion all you want, I'm glad you admitted that you and him don't even have a reason to be posting in this thread.. unlike myself, who needed (and received) links to distribute.

What Alfie said was simply wrong, and disrespectful to the people that put in the work on both the tracks and the site. Sure it's correct about plenty of other mod tracks, save the insults for those.

"he’s entitled to say something just as you are"
"he's one of the few whose opinion means something"
Let's try to be consistent before we pull the victim card and claim I've bullied you as an excuse to depart.

What Alfie said was simply wrong, and disrespectful to the people that put in the work on both the tracks and the site. Sure it's correct about plenty of other mod tracks, save the insults for those.

I was merely voicing my opinion on this matter, from the viewpoint of a scratch-made modder, and where that opinion stems from. Rightly or wrongly, I honestly believe that someone who spends 1500-2000 hours making a track from scratch will view 'rips and conversions' differently to someone who either only drives on tracks, or someone who is happy to convert. For me, there is something magical about starting from nothing, 0% and ending up with something that is 100% original and unique. I am sure quite a few hours go into converting a rip from another game, but starting from 90% is not the same thing.

I have released two tracks for AC, so my opinion doesn't count for any more than anyone else, but I am entitled to it and to defend my reasons why.

And @Stereo is correct - no one needs to steal a track; it can only ever be a shortcut or an easier option.

That's great that you put in a lot of effort, it doesn't change the fact that you are Mod Edit: (language) on other people's work for no reason and dressing it up as a moral crusade. "Tbh, I only use two types of tracks... Kunos, and mine " Yeah man, we get it, you're so amazing...you are such a great modder that you have to go around attacking harmless sites and other modder's work because 'back in my day'.

For the people who find this thread via google, searching for the site... Don't worry, not all modders are like these guys. Halfway through, this thread was hijacked by a small group of modders on one particular discord (not even the whole discord, just mclarenf1papa johnr777 etc), you'll find the rest of the community is far more rational.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha!! How did I attack? :roflmao: By having a different opinion to you? And I never said I was amazing - I only use my tracks and Kunos tracks because I spend 95% of my AC time making tracks, and the other 5% chilling out on the Nordschleife. No snobbery there, just limited time and different priorities.

Whereas most people who just drive seem happy to have as many stolen, poorly optimised tracks as they can get their hands on. Quite sad really.
I download and test pretty much every car and track mod I can get my hands on, and it's become its own little metagame within AC. Ever since moving to VR I find perverse fun in driving bad mods on bad tracks, even if it's for no more than a lap or two. It makes me wonder why the modder did certain things the way they did, what shortcuts they took, and what mistakes they made, but it also makes me wonder what fills the void left by the obvious lack of pride in their public work. And apart from anything else it makes me appreciate good mods even better. A mod has to be borderline unplayable for me to delete it, because even drive-oncers can be used to flesh out an AI grid (low-poly origami cars are great for performance gains) and sun-bleached rF reburps are sometimes interesting to revisit briefly if the tracks are unique. Sometimes I'll spend an inordinate amount of time adding objects or updating textures on tracks I might never revisit, or updating shaders on cars that I'll probably never drive again. I just find it fun. I'll always return to the top-tier mods for my bread-and-butter racing though, although some of my favourite cars are what would probably be considered 'bad mods' by Joe Simmer, but just feel good to drive.

One thing that's always interested me is the rationale behind modding, and I think it's related to the discussion in this thread. Some obviously do it for commercial gain, but for others is it purely for personal satisfaction, and if so, why are those mods subsequently released to the public and open to future abuse or criticism? Do some modders do it for public appreciation or adulation, or for a desire to improve the experience of others? To right the wrongs of bad mods for an existing car/track that they hold dear? I guess most modders do it simply because they enjoy doing it, and maybe feel it's either a shame or selfish not to share it afterwards, even if that'll be inviting the devil to dine at their table. Some of the mod reviews and criticism I read from fellow enthusiasts is brutal and downright nasty in places. But I don't think any modders do it to trample all over IP rights or to stick it to big corporations, even if that's an unintended consequence.

Um.... the "It's crap because it doesn't have the 2000 hours of work and therefore no magic, so I view their work from up on high, It's just my opinion tho that stems from being a better modder than them"
No one cares you think you are better, the thread is about a site that has nothing to do with you.

Last edited:
Um.... the "It's crap because it doesn't have the 2000 hours of work and therefore no magic, so I view their work from up on high, It's just my opinion tho that stems from being a better modder than them"
No one cares you think you are better, the thread is about a site that has nothing to do with you.
Imo you should try modding yourself before you try being the voice of us all... its like a catholic priest giving marriage advice
I also don't buy your listed age ... 1. January 1970..? You sound more like 1. April 2001

Imo you should try modding yourself before you try being the voice of us all... its like a catholic priest giving marriage advice
I also don't buy your listed age ... 1. January 1970..? You sound more like 1. April 2001

Unfortunately priests do that irl. :D You’re not safe from people like that anywhere.

Reboot was something unusual. Usually people who does ripps neither has skills to do good job, nor tries to do a good job - well because these are rips, and no way it should be considered along side legit stuff. Reboot decided that it is not right and that rips also should be treated like legit stuff, so they put some more effort and skill and baked lots of rather well looking ripped tracks, from big games, from small games and from other modders.

Later GP 2.0 mod happened. I haven't tried it, but looks like people likes it.

At this point it is clear that blackhole of ripped stuff has expanded too much. It was not terrible as rips were only the worst imaginable car mods in some garbage facebook reposting group. But I also remember a ripped Lancer mod blowing up and even being praised in official forums along the official news.

At some point legit modding could not keep up, because it would take much less effort to simply take already done things, tweak them and spread.. Sometimes they would even kill legit projects, like it already has happened with Bathurst TWICE !! First when crank was doing it, then acu version came out of nowhere. Now as ram was making it reboot FM7 rip broke through. I remember as I was making Jaguar XJ13, very quickly smallblock"hero" baked a rip, but it was so bad that I literally didn't care even as a very beginner in modding...

At some point no developer would support modding. Because modders sometimes jumps ahead of them. Announced Ferrari 488 ? Cool, a modder will do garbage one before you. Also I suppose developers aren't proud when ripped content blows up over their platform. Nor should be anyone be proud about that, but unfortunately many does not care, or does not even see anything wrong in that, which is weird at such politically correct times.

Come on guys. There is honestly no need to get at each other...I'm totally cool with Alfie and others opinions....though that said I do know what it takes to build a track from scratch.....as for tracks....I have been involved with a great number of other projects released here also...please have a look around at the downloads section...so go easy everyone....I just saw it as something I could do for the community...I had some time and wanted to learn some new things...and in the process fill in some track gaps..(I'm no were near at others standards but you gotta start somewhere...and from scratch is very daunting for a beginner)..it was for my pleasure, probably should of kept it that way. But this made me feel very golum....so I though what the hell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back