AC Modding Questions Thread

The multilayer shaders use a top-down projection for the UV mapping of the detail textures. The mapped UV you create for those objects only applies to the non-tiling textures (diffuse, mask, and normal I think?).

I see. There is (was?) an option to break up tiling in CSP but I thought there was a way to do that as well within the regular shaders as well.

Hey there, I've been modifying a Chevy Asphalt Modified to be a old school drag car, but I''m having some trouble with tire size. The actual fbx model has the tire size I want, but when I select "Align wheels with data" or start a race they return to their original size. My idea was to have small tires up front with large slicks in the rear. I'm assuming it's an issue with the data files? I'm relatively new to modding so any help would be greatly appreciated. The original car is the one on the right.

Attachments

• __custom_showroom_1637874695.jpg
    __custom_showroom_1637874695.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 67
  • __custom_showroom_1637874716.jpg
    __custom_showroom_1637874716.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 69
You have to scale the mesh, not the named empty objects. AC overwrites any transformation info on the WHEEL_RF etc. objects, to rotate them so they spin ingame.

In Blender you pick the empties (WHEEL_LF etc.) and ctrl+A to apply scale, then move the 3d cursor to that point (shift+s, 2), and go into edit mode on the mesh (tab), select it all (a), and scale it with the 3d cursor as origin to get the same effect. You'll need to do it separately for tire, wheel, brakes etc.

Last edited:
Hello again,
So I'm working on another track, and I made these saw-tooth curbs in Fusion 360, then exported them to Blender where I am making the track. I textured them and duplicated them along a path. I know this isn't quite the right way to make curbs, but it's what I'm going to be doing for now.
So here's my problem: you can see by this picture that the normals are fine:
question1.jpg

However, in the ksEditor and in-game, the normals appear to be flipped:
question2.jpg

If I flip them anyway in Blender, they appear and work fine in-game, but the shadows are flipped (parts that are supposed to be light are dark and vv).
Has anyone run into this issue before? If so, how do I fix it?

In Blender you pick the empties (WHEEL_LF etc.) and ctrl+A to apply scale, then move the 3d cursor to that point (shift+s, 2), and go into edit mode on the mesh (tab), select it all (a), and scale it with the 3d cursor as origin to get the same effect. You'll need to do it separately for tire, wheel, brakes etc.
That did it thank you! All the tires are working fine now. I appreciate the help.

Hello again,
So I'm working on another track, and I made these saw-tooth curbs in Fusion 360, then exported them to Blender where I am making the track. I textured them and duplicated them along a path. I know this isn't quite the right way to make curbs, but it's what I'm going to be doing for now.
So here's my problem: you can see by this picture that the normals are fine:View attachment 520472
However, in the ksEditor and in-game, the normals appear to be flipped:View attachment 520473
If I flip them anyway in Blender, they appear and work fine in-game, but the shadows are flipped (parts that are supposed to be light are dark and vv).
Has anyone run into this issue before? If so, how do I fix it?
hmm, on first glance I'd say maybe there's some weird unconnected edges or stray vertices on this somewhere, as CAD to polygon conversion tends to do that. If those steps have no further angling inside the "tiles", maybe try deleting that rombus shaped structure inside the tiles and make them simple four vertice quads.

Also try apply scale and recalculating the Normals.

Hello, i tried replacing some rims for a car today but for whatever reason when i export the model to fbx, it does not export the model and i am left with an empty file with out a model...? I don't know if its something i have done of if the FBX export settings are wrong or what?

unpacked 30_11_2021 21_22_45.png
?

Not ac specific, but does anyone know how to make custom mip maps for testing? And also how to dilate images with transparency, yes for trees and stuff?
Preferably on gimp but I could learn some photoshop.

Attachments

• dilt.jpg
    dilt.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 52
  • mip.jpg
    mip.jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 51
Not ac specific, but does anyone know how to make custom mip maps for testing? And also how to dilate images with transparency, yes for trees and stuff?
Preferably on gimp but I could learn some photoshop.
For Photoshop with the NVidia plugin: open the dds with "Load MIP maps" enabled. If you don't get the dialog, first open a file, save as DDS and click the "Read config" button and click the "Show this dialog" or "Load MIP maps" (first one is preferable so you can uncheck the MIP map loading next time).
Once open, adjust your MIP maps however you like. Then save as DDS and select "Use Existing MIP maps [All]".
In this example I've changed the colour of the MIP maps but you can do whatever you like:
1638336112023.png

And here is how this looks in game (note: this has all cars using the exact same skin, no trickery):
Screenshot_pg_euronascarford_ne_ttassen_1-11-121-6-31-25.jpg

Hi guys, I am trying to build my first mod. I watched all the great video tutorials from @LilSki on how to make a track from LiDAR acquisition to Assetto Corsa (THANKS for your dedication to creating the tutorials)... I have had some success in general, but I am absolutely stuck with skidmarks (not event trying to get complex dynamic groove set up, I am struggling with basic static skidmarks).
1) I cannot see the skids in Blender. All I see is a solid gray color plane, not the skids with the transparencies.
2) I can see the skids properly in KSEditor assigning the right texture there and using the shaders and configurations included in this post https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/skid-marks-material.131/
However, when I launch Assetto Corsa, I see again the solid gray planes covering all the road, no skids at all.
3) I tried borrowing groove planes from @LilSki Road America (just for testing purposes, importing some of that road FBX files into my track in blender to try to see what I need to do differently...) The groove planes from Road America with their textures and shaders look great in my track both in Blender and also in KSEditor (using the shader configurations indicated in the link https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/skid-marks-material.131/). However, when I launch the game in Assetto Corsa, I see again those dark gray solid color planes covering all the road.

I am new to Blender, GIMP and KsEditor, so I am struggling quite a lot. I have not seen skidmarks tutorials in the videos, I will try to see if the sections covering the white lines can be of help for the skids... And I will do some tutorials of Blender and GIMP... If anyone can point me in the right direction I will much appreciate. It would be great to se a video tutorial dedicated to creating the skid textures in GIMP, creating the planes and shaders in Blender, and then continuing with setting up the whole thing in ksEditor... Both for static skidmarks (and maybe even paint lines), and also for dynamic groove.

Well, this is my first post, thanks for the patience reading all this, this community is great.

I've just added pictures, thanks!

Attachments

• Blender - borrowed skids_.png
    Blender - borrowed skids_.png
    608.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Blender - my skids_.png
    Blender - my skids_.png
    480.3 KB · Views: 48
  • In Game - borrowed skids_.png
    In Game - borrowed skids_.png
    640.3 KB · Views: 48
  • In Game - my skids_.png
    In Game - my skids_.png
    603.6 KB · Views: 45
  • ksEditor_.png
    ksEditor_.png
    499.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hi guys, I am trying to build my first mod. I watched all the great video tutorials from @LilSki on how to make a track from LiDAR acquisition to Assetto Corsa (THANKS for your dedication to creating the tutorials)... I have had some success in general, but I am absolutely stuck with skidmarks (not event trying to get complex dynamic groove set up, I am struggling with basic static skidmarks).
1) I cannot see the skids in Blender. All I see is a solid gray color plane, not the skids with the transparencies.
2) I can see the skids properly in KSEditor assigning the right texture there and using the shaders and configurations included in this post https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/skid-marks-material.131/
However, when I launch Assetto Corsa, I see again the solid gray planes covering all the road, no skids at all.
3) I tried borrowing groove planes from @LilSki Road America (just for testing purposes, importing some of that road FBX files into my track in blender to try to see what I need to do differently...) The groove planes from Road America with their textures and shaders look great in my track both in Blender and also in KSEditor (using the shader configurations indicated in the link https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/skid-marks-material.131/). However, when I launch the game in Assetto Corsa, I see again those dark gray solid color planes covering all the road.

I am new to Blender, GIMP and KsEditor, so I am struggling quite a lot. I have not seen skidmarks tutorials in the videos, I will try to see if the sections covering the white lines can be of help for the skids... And I will do some tutorials of Blender and GIMP... If anyone can point me in the right direction I will much appreciate. It would be great to se a video tutorial dedicated to creating the skid textures in GIMP, creating the planes and shaders in Blender, and then continuing with setting up the whole thing in ksEditor... Both for static skidmarks (and maybe even paint lines), and also for dynamic groove.

Well, this is my first post, thanks for the patience reading all this, this community is great.

I've just added pictures, thanks!
I found the issue, and I wanted to share it with the rest in case it can help someone... I made the rookie mistake of forgetting to turn the objects transparency to YES in the kseditor. Once objects were set to transparent yes in Kseditor, everything was good in-game.

Last edited:
Best practices to simulate road patches like the ones in the picture?

I was thinking...
1) Add a new plane floating on top of the visual road with black details and alpha (similar to a skid / groove)?
2) cut a portion of the visual road with the blender knife and then assign a complete different material?
3) any better alternative?

And then, to simulate a bump or elevation change in the physical road... should I just gab some vertexes and change their elevation by a few milimeters?

I included Google earth pictures of the patches I am trying to simulate.
Thanks

Screenshot_20220102-113609_Earth.jpg

Screenshot_20220102-113549_Earth.jpg

Screenshot_20220102-113510_Earth.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 509 68.6%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 312 42.0%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 336 45.3%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 165 22.2%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 199 26.8%
Back