69 Boss 302 & BMW 3.5 CSL @ Oesterreichring 1970 - Tuesday Sept 7th 2010

Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
imgageoutput.php

imgageoutput.php

Servername: RD GTL Racing Club
Class: Race1: Boss 302 / Race2: BMW 3.5 CSL (BMW CSL with 430HP)
Track:Oesterreichring 1970
Start Time: 19.00 GMT
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min (1 timed lap only)
Race: 2 x 13 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins included with 302 only. GTC76 Skinpack 1.0 for CSL.

My Setups:

Attachments

• CD302.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 311
  • CDSchnitzer.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 295
Nice track, awesome cars, loads of fun :)

The Mustang was not what I expected at all, very easy to drive, very easy to correct. At least the brakes were as I predicted - crap.

I thought it would be a lonely race, but I managed to tag along with Jack for a big part of the race (sorry for that tap early on). I even dared to make a move in sector 2, tried to outbrake him, but didn't stop in time to take the corner properly, and lost the position in a criss-cross. A bit later, he went wide in turn 1, so I went by.
In the last lap, I guess my connection reset, Jack was gone, I saw Anders finished the race, but nobody else, and I drove to the finish line alone. Sorry if I got in the way there Jack.

The BMW was weird too, extremely understeery. Tried increasing the power diff, and rear ARB, didn't help much. Full throttle over that bump in the middle in a BMW is just wrong :D. I didn't dare to go flat out in the Mustang though.
Also, everyone was way faster than me in that straight in sector 2, didn't know what was going on there.

Overall, race 2 was a lonely one. Was in the midpack for a lap or so, but Warren whizzed by soon, and I was alone for the remainder of the race (15 seconds behind and 15 seconds ahead of people).

Thank you Carlos and Stuart

Thanks all for some fun, for a while there it seemed I might have hopped out of bed for nothing. Glad you sorted ther Server out, well done.

I loved the big Mustang, the model looked superb on track, and I found it fun to drive. I had some great close racing with Ross, Eck, and Anders for many laps, until I seemed to suddenly hit a wall with tyre wear or something, which literally put me into a wall. After that, the cars handling went way off and I struggled the last few laps. Loved racing these beasts though.

Race 2 was a huge struggle for me. I just couldn't come to grips with the Beemer, suffering massive understeer into a couple of turns. I had some good racing with Phil though, but I suspect I was holding him up mostly, sorry mate. I know you were hampered with video card glitches too.

Grats to Knut for a dominating performance today, great driving Knut. :thumb:

Sorry for appearing to quit TS without farewells, my connection dropped and I had to reboot everything to get back again.

Thanks for an awesome first GTL event guys! Had a lot of fun. What a difference between the two cars. Especially in feedback through the G25, the BMW felt so light on its feet compared to the Stang. The contrast made for an interesting event.

Qualifying with the Mustang was just blah....... but I surprised myself with a decent qualifying time in the BMW :D

R1 - Technical problems - couldn't even start = DQ
R2 - Awesome battle at the back of the pack! Learned a lot from this first GTL event.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for an awesome first GTL event guys! Had a lot of fun. What a difference between the two cars. Especially in feedback through the G25, the BMW felt so light on its feet compared to the Stang. The contrast made for an interesting event.

Qualifying with the Mustang was just blah....... but I surprised myself with a decent qualifying time in the BMW :D

R1 - Technical problems - couldn't even start = DQ
R2 - Awesome battle at the back of the pack! Learned a lot from this first GTL event.

Thanks everyone.

I noticed you got a DQ immediately, bad luck. For what it's worth, GTL people are pretty friendly and easy going, you could've asked for a restart, I'm sure nobody would have minded.

(Is "would have minded" correct? Sounds weird.)

One of the few times in my limited career when I was relatively close in times with the pack and was actually participating somewhat in the races. You never caused any problems Senad only momentary confusions :D as I couldn't figure out where you went, and then you were back, and then gone again. I did notice your car skipping ( jumping) around a little bit before the big time travel event but at no time did you effect my driving. All injuries were self- inflicked.

I liked the track and both cars and found them (cars) both easier to adjust too as compared to the Opel Kadett. In my opinion, the key to the race was getting up to speed and maintaining it through the first corner( blind hill)/ dogleg right.

Thanks to Carlos and cheers to all racers. Thanks to Stu and Senad for their trouble-shooting or there would have been no event and my fifty laps :wink: of practice yesterday would have been in vain.

For what it's worth, GTL people are pretty friendly and easy going, you could've asked for a restart, I'm sure nobody would have minded.

(Is "would have minded" correct? Sounds weird.)
Would have minded is absolutely correct :good:

And yeah if you get DQ-ed for a technical reason, we will generally restart if asked.

No-one is particularly fussed about the quali grid, or at least not enough to worry if we restart with a random scrambled grid.

That's one of the reasons we do superpole, so we can get the odd unexpected line up to keep it interesting for everyone.

Hassan & Anders, it would be good to see you both regularly :good:

Who has more fun than us in our little GTL treehouse? No-one.

The racing is always competitive, but in a good way, with consideration given to other drivers as the top priority. That, plus all these old classics that feel so much more alive and have so much character, really gives the GTL club a great atmosphere to drive in. :)

That was a sweet event:good: Great track and lovely cars

I found out very late yesterday that I could join. Without any practice it took some time to get used to the BOSS (what a cool name:D). But after some laps it felt really good and it has to be one of the best V8 cars I've tried in GTL.

The BMW was quite a contrast and at the end of practice i thought I had reached my limit and was now 2s slower than Ross. I was really tired now and went out to catch some "fresh" air before qualy. It really helped and when I was back in the car I was much faster than before and managed to take pole (with a really small margin though:D).

I had quite good starts in both races and managed to build up a gap in the start. Race one was more quiet but the BOSS was a riot:D

Race 2 was really good as well. I opened up a gap in the start but didn't manage to increase it much:) No room for mistake and drove the BMW hard to keep 1st.

Thanks Stuart, Carlos, Senad:) and all racers for yet another great event.

BTW: Anyone here use the Logitech G27? And how is it? My wheel is not working that well atm and yesterday the throttle signal from the G25 was really erratic. Plus I keep getting electrocuted by the left paddle shifter:D

Much like what everyone else has been saying about last night's event, i really enjoyed these cars on this track! The Mustang was big, powerful, controllably lazy but difficult to slow down. (I especially enjoyed controlling the wayward slides over the big bump at turn 2)
Qualified 3rd i think, and after turn 1 i was still there, but with Warren dead ahead. Tried for so many laps to pass him, but Warren made his car even bigger than it already was. Eventually got a run through turn 1, tried to take the wide line in turn 2, lostgrip, understeered wide, and let Anders and Eck through too. Eventually recovered to get behind Warren, who slid off with knackered tyres, and caught Eck on the final lap, but couldn't find a way through. Great racing throughout!

Race 2: Got on well with the BMW, but made mistakes on my qualie lap, so Knut took pole by 0.03s or something! Held 2nd into turn 1, and that was it for the rest of the race. Tried to chase Knut down, but he wasn't for catching last night. Still, kept the gap at a respectable 3.5s at the end, and didn't make any major mistakes, so i did all i could!

Congrats to Knut, and thanks to Carlos, Stu & Senad for ensuring a great night's racing

Sorry to all for not doing race two, I didn't read the first post. Otherwise, I wouldn't have signed up. What do they say, about assuming?... lol.
Thanks to Senad, for the heads up PM. I just got it, before posting... I was having 'puter troubles, of my own. I knew nothing of lobby troubles, I was just hoping, to get in for race start...

Anyhoo, race one was the muts nu.. dogs bo... suffice to say, I enjoyed it. Some, got amazing starts. From 4th, I got swamped. Think we were two and three wide, from the start, all the way to the Bosch Schikane area. Where the door handling, eventually took a victim. I inadvertently, put Philip into the weeds. Sorry sir...
Exiting the Bosche Schikane, I thought I'd be following the leaders home. I'd never seen a time, remotely close to 56's in practice. So thought, I'd be dropped like a stone. The draught must've helped, I got into 56's (not as low as Knut) and was comfortable doing so. The rest of the race, was a blur of passes. With Anders, Ross and Warren, the race was never dull.
While running 2nd, and making hay, I made a stupid error at turn one (Voest-Hugel). The eventual collision with the barrier, was minor, but I lost the position. I lost a bit of pace too, I'd like to blame the tyres (like others before me) but I think it was more the driver, than the car.
I soon had to pick it back up though, with Ross in very close company. We did a bit of two wide running, in the last couple of laps. I was lucky, to come away with 3rd.

Thanks to all, for another great GTL event. Grats to Knut and Anders, for race one. Thanks to Stu, Senad and Carlos, and ofcourse to RD.

Eck - I know you don't like them, but please get the car packs when you can mate, so you can join more events and not have to worry about it for future events.

There's only 1 per class (TC65 / GTC65 etc), so it's pretty much a 1 time install (definitely NOT on an event by event basis) and we've used them for many Club & League races without issue.

I'd hate to see you miss out on events because of that - the downloads are smaller than most tracks, tbh.

First big thanks to Senad for your information to all about server issues.

When I got back here to forum it was already too late, race 2 was on. Should have watched earlier so sorry to all

Yes...thanks to Stuart, Carlos and Senad for their efforts on this event, for me it was one of my most competitive starts at GTL club. Had really good quali, but with Knut in the field was not surprised when he bumped me off pole position in Race 1, Congrats on a fabulous event Knut, to Anders for his two podiums, and well done Ross and Eck for their 2nd and 3rd!

Race1) Not so good a start from 2nd, launch control failed and I smoked the tires badly, so was happy to be coming down the back-straight into Bosch in 4th! As I got into the braking zone just behind Ross, I realized I might have cut it a little too close and so I took to the grass on the inside of Ross and then rejoined behind him, only to side-swiped Eck, who was moving down from the outside. Sorry Eck, I should have stayed on the inside till I knew it was clear.

We both survived and I still had 4th into the next left hand T4. I felt like I should cede the position to Eck but didn't do it very well and ended up sliding off the outside...after we bumped. No matter, these cars where so much fun that I just put my head down and managed to finish 7th after falling back to 10th.

Race 2) Started 3rd in the BMW and Carlos and I where side by side into T1, he had the inside line and took 3rd. I shadowed him thought the rest of the opening lap and retook 3rd at the last turn ( Jochen Rindt) when he ran a little wide. Ross and Knut up ahead had pulled out a couple of seconds at this point, but I felt I could at least hold the gap.

On lap 3 I encountered the first of several video problems which ended the competitive part of my race. After bashing the turn 3 guard rails several times and then sliding off T4 again in disgust, I rejoined just in front of Warren. we traded places a few times on the track and then coming out of Texaco, something weird happened again and we totally swapped places, ( on team speak he said it was just like he drove right through me, ouch) . Even with the horrible push, Warren had a pretty good pace, and with my video problems I was happy to finish 7th behind him after that.

Thanks Carlos and RD, and everyone who came out to race, this was a very nice event despite the technical problems. see you again soon.

Hey Carlos,

although I am totally couped up with Theorems, Proofs, Lemmata and Corollaries ... put me down as tentative for this one!!! However, I will only be able to participate in the first race...

Awsome event again!!! Thanks for the newsletter :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back