3D MAX & You

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
So your looking at producing your own renders, You've got one of the many version of 3d max and your wondering whats next.

Well here is some of the ins and outs :

First off you'll need Spluterfish's Brazil you can download the demo vresion known as Rio from there site here:- SplutterFish, LLC: Home

Next you'll need the 3D max car scenes for Race07 and those are availble via:- Portal - raceskinning you'll have to register there.

So now you have evrything you need to get started. All you need to do now is load up a scene and go right?

Wrong due to the fact these scenes where made with a differant version of MAX and a full version of Brazil, Youlll have to make some alterations to get it to look the way you want.

So you load your scene and it looks like this:

Terrible isn't it well first off we need to set up are renderer so on the top menu bar find "Rendering" and from the drop down find "Render Setup" click on that and you'll get a menu:

Now due to the fact we are using Rio we are restricted to image size (1024x511 max) so for now select 640x480. Now on the same menu scroll down tp were it says "Assign Renderer" This is where we are going to be telling it to use Brazil Rio. So click on the three little dots:

and from the drop down menu select Brazil:

The version of Max or brazil does not matter.

On the material editor (when you press M) you want to be checking the other material spheres for "missing materials" for example from the last pic you showed check the other material sphere see if ther are any that say "missing Material" they are the ones that want altering:

Open the scene in yur version of 3ds Max and set the renderer:

Now the scene it open and its just in one view to make things easier on our self lets have all the views available to us:

now we have more views available lets open the material editor (pressing M):

As we can see there are no "Missing Materials" in sphere one so lets look at Sphere 2:

As we can see there are one or two "Missing Materials" so lets start with the first one:

Left click where it says "Missing Material" and this will open the that material:

So now lets change that from a "missing Material" to an actual Material and see what it changes. Again we are clicking where it says "Missing Material":

Now this loads up the Material Browser. Now because we don't know what this material is attached to lets give it a "Standard" material. So pick "Standard" from the list:
[IMG=http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5416/22772827.jpg][/IMG]

And hit "OK":

Well thats not changed anything so lets try another "Missing Material". Again left click where it says "Missing Material":

And from the Material again left click where it says "Missing Material":

And again from the Material Browser lets select "Stanard":

And hit "OK":

Now something has changed the car body has a material:

Now we can change this material from a "Standard" Materil to a Brazil material as per the original tutorial:

We keep doing this till all missig materials have been replaced and the scene it setup with all the correct mateials and textures. We can then save this scene as is and then we can alter the Textures for the body for ones that we have created at any time.

Because your possably using Brazil Rio, which in a sence is a demo version of Brazil you will be unable to produce bigger renders. You have two options one buy the full version of Brazil or expand the size of the image via a paint program simlar to Photoshop.

From your pic I can tell you have not made or applied the Brazil light material to the light box above the car this will add light to your render.

Then theres some final reder setup changes so from the menu select "Rendering" then "Render Setup" and then hit the "Renderer" tab and make the following changes:

then at long last you can hit render:

Now goto "File" "Save" allow to overwrite and your scene is ready for you to make changes.

this does not work for me :( can anyone please help i have followed all instruction but cant get this to work :(

please can anyone help me :)

best regards

ok forgot all that looooooool i finally got it to work

but now my problem is this my picture looks rubbish lol i followed every step bit by bit but looks nothing like your guys stuff lol test.jpg

any1 browsing this thread

i seam to have managed everything except the 2 skins in 1 sceen

how do i do this i tryed changing the body but it just chages both cars to the same skin

if i drag and drop after selecting the skin it just goes silver and advise?

Quick guide for two of the same car. Select the main car model using the "Move" tool hold down Shift and drag. This will make a duplicate of the car. A query window will appear asking if you want an "intance or a copy" select Copy.

From there you should be able to apply a new material to the "Copy" cars body thus allowing you to apply new textures.

You have to copy the material and put a different skin in the new material. Once that is done, you have to assign the new material to the place that you want it to appear. Easiest way to do that is left click drag the material from the material editor and let go when you have the pointer over the body part that the material should go on.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back