rF2 2h WEC GT Racing @ Nürburgring 24h - Saturday 28th February 2015

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
I have been practicing with the BMW Z4 and i think it will be very close to needing a splash and go.So possible 2 stops needed.I think 50 kg penalty might be a little to much,at least for the Z4.I think 30-35 kg might be more appropriate.It seems i am about 10 seconds slower than some guys in the GTR and corvette with no weight penalty and full fuel.

I have been practicing with the BMW Z4 and i think it will be very close to needing a splash and go.So possible 2 stops needed.I think 50 kg penalty might be a little to much,at least for the Z4.I think 30-35 kg might be more appropriate.It seems i am about 10 seconds slower than some guys in the GTR and corvette with no weight penalty and full fuel.
We will start with 50kg for qualy. Changing the penalty is not a big deal, so if we see, that the pace is a bit off in qualy we can change it. With 50kg the Z4 was on the same pace as the Camaro with me at the wheel. The GTR and Corvette will be faster in qualy and in the first two laps, but after that they will have much more tire wear than the Camaro and BMW. @David Gronvalls was very fast in qualy and on the first lap in the race with the Corvette, but after that he had no chance against the Camaros. So it should even out as the race goes on. If we have an Apex car or Camaro on pole, it would be hard to beat by the others.

I think the GTR is a 3 stop.
Race fuel use for me is 15.19 litres/lap. To get 5 laps (for a 2 stop) requires14 litres/lap. 1 litre doesnt sound like a heap to save (6.6%) but I ran longer 6th gear and short shifted and just managed 14 litres but it cost me a lot of pace. You need to do that for 10 laps and if its 4.5 sec a lap lost to skip the stop its useless. (From memory one stop is appr 45 sec).
Tyre wear in the GTR also costs a little lap time in the 4th lap.

I dont know what the Apex BMW and others will do (except I know Camaro can double stint tyres) on tyre wear but if it can double stint tyres it means that the GTR which needs a tyre change every stop needs to have pulled about a 20-25 sec gap before the stops. If not it will exit behind them:confused:

So if we see a scenario where the soft tyre shod cars are trying to pull a gap from pole (where they will NEED to be) and the hard rubbered cars are just trying to stay within 15-20 sec over a stint we will have a very exciting round of pit stops.
I can envisage GTRs under a lot of pressure exiting the pits to be/get in front of Camaros/BMWs. Maybe an exciting lap around the short circuit.

So bottom line is the GTR needs about 4-5 sec/lap pace advantage to overcome tyre changes.

It opens up some interesting questions for GTR drivers. Like where will you put the two 4 lap stints and the two 3 lap stints?

@Frederic Schornstein @Matt Horst and others have done a lot of testing and it will be a credit to their work if in stint 2 its a real mix with some battles on track.

Bring it on!

You can double stint the GTRs tire. I have no doubt about that to be honest ;)
With the last version it was difficult, but with this it should be doable the same applis tothe Corvette.
Hmmm, not so sure.
To have no doubt you should do a 4 lap stint.

I did a a couple of 4 lap runs yesterday. Ill double check on Motec but I think the worst tyres were about 55-60%. That equates to 20-25% left after 2 stints.
Ill let you know.

25% at the end of 2 stints is ok. Dont you think so?

BTW, dont misunderstand me I'm not complaining. I enjoyed the last one and now the GTR is faster. So its all good.
I m simply considering team strategies and the evolution of the race and looking forward to it.

OK Motec.
Worst tyre was 52%, best tyre 67% after 4 laps. That equates to after 8 laps (assuming no more errors and a linear rate of wear:confused:) Worst tyre 4% left and best tyre 36%.

Now one could do 7 laps on them instead of 8 or indeed 6 laps (with 4,4,3,3 strategy)

Some people might be better than me at driving the GTR. With my level at the Ring I wouldnt like to start a stint with 52 % tyres. So I will change tyres.
But Simon you are cordially invited to double stint them I will be impressed.

BTW, dont misunderstand me I'm not complaining. I enjoyed the last one and now the GTR is faster. So its all good.
I m simply considering team strategies and the evolution of the race and looking forward to it.

OK Motec.
Worst tyre was 52%, best tyre 67% after 4 laps. That equates to after 8 laps (assuming no more errors and a linear rate of wear:confused:) Worst tyre 4% left and best tyre 36%.

Now one could do 7 laps on them instead of 8 or indeed 6 laps (with 4,4,3,3 strategy)

Some people might be better than me at driving the GTR. With my level at the Ring I wouldnt like to start a stint with 52 % tyres. So I will change tyres.
But Simon you are cordially invited to double stint them I will be impressed.
wait till the track gets fully rubbered-in in the race, its not possible to predict exact tyre wear as you are gonna struggle to pass a few cars here and there anyway :D

@Frederic Schornstein: I dunno if you've seen it because i'm not in the Signup List already but i'm in ;)
But i still have no car of choice yet :D need to get driving this evening :D
I added you to the list.

@David O'Reilly last time in the Camaro I didn't change tires on the first stop and my lead over P2 was something like 1.0 seconds, but he changed tires on the Camaro and after the second stint we entered the pits with the exact same gap and both of us didn't put a foot wrong :D So even with the Camaro you could benefit from two instead of one tire change

@Frederic Schornstein: I dunno if you've seen it because i'm not in the Signup List already but i'm in ;)
But i still have no car of choice yet :D need to get driving this evening :D
Oh man, sorry! That's my bad! :redface: I thought you said that you were working on Saturday, so I removed you from the sign-up list so that there wasn't any confusion about your attendance. :p You're back on! :D

@Frederic Schornstein I'll sort out a list of participating non-premium members later that you can use to sort out the membership give-away(s). :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back