2019 Formula One Japanese Grand Prix

I always look forward to Suzuka. As far as I'm concerned, the most difficult track on the calendar. Too bad the race is at 1:00 AM where I live...

When I started to get into sim racing, I worked a lot on trying to come up with a 'difficulty order' for what I consider to be great or good tracks, a personal top 50, if you will, just for my own amusement, and after multiple reshuffle following multiple tests on them in the sims, I came to the same conclusion.

Although I ranked Suzuka in the bottom half of the top 10, it came out as the most difficult track on the current F1 calendar. (Narrowly ahead of Monaco.)

T1 and T2 are deceptively difficult with that high-speed trail-braking, the importance of an otherworldly rhythm in terms of laptime in the Esses needs no introduction, Degner 1 is SO acute, the dogleg into the Hairpin makes threshold braking SO tricky, the exit of Spoon always amazes me with just how little grip it offers and if you have any balls left, you'll need them all to do 130R properly if it's not flat.

Fantastic circuit. And such a contrast with that poor excuse of a track Sochi coming right after the latter in the calendar.

(I ranked the Nordschleife, old Spa, Bathurst, Macau, Cadwell Park, VIR and Le Mans in front of Suzuka and Monaco. Brands Hatch GP completed the top 10.)

Because of that difficulty it is almost impossible to overtake on it, as everything flows into eachother so your only possibility is the chicane at the end. Well in high downforce classes like F1, WEC, Super GT obviously...which is what races at Suzuka the most.

Yes I know WEC doesn't race there as Toyota owns Fuji and Suzuka is of Honda, but the issue would remain the same.

Because of that difficulty it is almost impossible to overtake on it, as everything flows into eachother so your only possibility is the chicane at the end. Well in high downforce classes like F1, WEC, Super GT obviously...which is what races at Suzuka the most.

Yes I know WEC doesn't race there as Toyota owns Fuji and Suzuka is of Honda, but the issue would remain the same.

Yeah, it's not ideal, especially since they pulled the chicane a bit closer to 130R in 2003.

I am however still a huge fan of Suzuka cause it's so hard to get a perfect(like) lap around it. And when it happens you just want to continue.

Something that for some reason doesn't happen at Bahrain for example.

View attachment 328428
Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2019 Formula One Japanese Grand Prix.

Suzuka is without doubt one of the finest racing venues anywhere in the world. Featuring daunting corner combinations, motorsport crazy fans and an air of old school cool throughout the historic venue, weekends like the one we are about to enjoy are becoming all too rare in the modern world of sterilised Formula One.

A real drivers circuit, Suzuka offers plenty of thrills and spills when put up against modern Grand Prix machinery, especially when one filters in the often constant threat of changeable weather conditions and little room for drivers to make a mistake around the unforgiving circuit layout.

This year the heavy shadow of typhoon Hagibiis looms large over the Formula One field, with the thread of heavy rain and treacherous conditions threatening to provide a very real distraction from the business of going Grand Prix racing.

With Ferrari still reeling from their Russian Grand Prix difficulties, Honda showing up in front of the ever expectant home crowd, and Mercedes marching on to their inevitable double World Championship success - this weekend promises to be another enthralling Grand Prix event.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

So.. no qualifying took place on the Saturday. Wow.
No idea what is happening now.

... No running [on Saturday] due to typhoon! Qualifying was rescheduled at 10:00am, Sunday. But if the weather doesn't permit that, [the] FP2 results will be used for grid position in the race. [1-6: Bottas Hamilton Verstappen Leclerc Vettel Albon] So [the] FP2 is going to be counted as a qualifying stand-in.
that

It's astonishing how seemingly easy it is for merc to pull off fast laps on demand.

EDIT! WOW! VETTEL My man! All I wanted was a delayed merc championship! Really sad for Red Bull, but Albon man! Identical time to Max! Next time he'll be faster I wish!

Last edited:
Dang, was watching college football, misses the memo about qualifying. Looking forward to a good race - the motorsport world is waiting in anticipation and asking "how will Ferrari screw this up?" :p

I hope they don't. Sick to death of Lewis "getting in there" for one thing. For another thing, I've taken a flyer and picked Seb to win and my fragile ego needs to be fed!

I can't be more vocal of my desires. I hope Ferari wins this one with Red Bull in 3rd and 4th... Gasly 5th! Yeah I know. Wishful thinking.

Ferrari International Assistance is back, how the hell did Charles not get a penalty for contact with Max and Vettel jump start. Charles is getting a bit ahead of himself and needs to calm down a bit. Not impressed with his behaviour.

Ferrari International Assistance is back, how the hell did Charles not get a penalty for contact with Max and Vettel jump start. Charles is getting a bit ahead of himself and needs to calm down a bit. Not impressed with his behaviour.
Have to atmit Max, did this in previus years, but allways got penalty's, so why not now?

Developing story: Both Ferrari's made clear mistakes during the start. Vettel was a false start but because he did not had any advantage of that false start the "judges" decided not to give him a penalty. That was said by Max for Dutch TV.
Also Max does not understand why LeClerc's move will be investigated after the race. All clear faults should and would be investigated and judged during the race (as "promised" by the race leading recently)

Edit:
EGvLQdhWsAEXryV.png

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies