Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Canadian Grand Prix Discussion Thread.jpg

Welcome to the central discussion thread for the 2019 Formula One Canadian Grand Prix.

One of the finest circuits on the calendar for racing action, the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve often produces a fierce and frantic Sunday afternoon - and with the championship looking very much like a one horse race already, the sport certainly needs something dramatic to happen in Canada.

LIVE: Watch the Canadian Grand Prix

General consensus has it that Ferrari might be looking at one of their stronger weekends in Montreal thanks to the perceived power advantage over rivals Mercedes, coupled with a circuit where overtaking is certainly possible, this race has the makings of one of the best so far this season.

Hamilton will be keen to stretch his advantage on a circuit he's excelled at in previous years, Ferrari are looking to turn the tide of bad form, Red Bull are surely going to be ever present up front and the midfield are likely to once again be closely packed in the fight for the minor points.

Should be a good one folks.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I can't say I'm excited for this one... I hope Ferrari can bag some wins, but I will not bet on it.

FFS, make something work for Leclerc, Danny Ric, and McLaren guys. Not that Danny and McLaren can win, but the half ars-ed strategy from their respective teams makes me feel like Merc is running away and it's no big deal for the rest of the grid. No effort whatsoever...

Another make over for Mercedes... no rain, and dry... Hamilton show again. But I hope for more competition. Max..? Vettel, Leclerc ? I like the track, And next week Le Mans.. and 24 hr Nurnburgring. Good weeks for motorsport to come :)

Clear as day that Ferrari are the favourites to win this race. There's no argument, they have the fastest car on the straight and Montreal has long straights. So let's not sandbag this one.
There's a good possibility they could be in a generous mood a gift it to another team.

Last edited:
Another make over for Mercedes... no rain, and dry... Hamilton show again. But I hope for more competition. Max..? Vettel, Leclerc ? I like the track, And next week Le Mans.. and 24 hr Nurnburgring. Good weeks for motorsport to come :)
Hamilton is very good rain driver and his Merc has more downforce than last year.

Clear as day that Ferrari are the favourites to win this race. There's no argument, they have the fastest car on the straight and Montreal has long straights. So let's not sandbag this one.
There's a good possibility they could be in a generous mood a gift it to another team.

I won't bet any money on any other team than mercedes. Ferrari is like an old minardi team at this point. Even though i'm german, i still hope they gonna ditch vettel and get another talent on the ship. All things concider, ferrari got slower each year since vettel arrived. Like they taking steps backwards.

And for straights on montreal, 1 long straight and 1 short one. And mercedes got a better engine to come. They won't stop on working to improve the car, but they don't even need to do that. They could already focus on the 2021 car if the rules would be already final. The car is fast enough to win until then. And even Hamilton said it himself, the car as it stands now, got a lot to improve.

I'd rather looking forward to the 24h race on the nordschleife. For F1 just the question who wins, Hamilton or Bottas. The other one will be 2nd if everything is normal. Bottas won't punt Hamilton out of the GP, because he knows who is number 2 in the team. So yeah.... nothing will change this weekend.

In Vettel's defence, I think it is Ferrari who have been letting the drivers down this year, rather than the other way round.
I couldn't have said it better.
Ferrari strategist have gotten too many things wrong this year.
The management too,has been too much of a 'musical chairs' game.
Swapping Principals every time you are unhappy about not winning a championship, does little for moral and requires you to constantly re-group as a team.
That's a very bad thing

If a safety car comes out on lap 1-4 then I hope Haas (or Renault) dont cry BOX BOX to Magnussen (or Ricciardo).
At least if they dont want to destroy any chance for the drivers to get a reasonable result.:p

I couldn't have said it better.
Ferrari strategist have gotten too many things wrong this year.
The management too,has been too much of a 'musical chairs' game.
Swapping Principals every time you are unhappy about not winning a championship, does little for moral and requires you to constantly re-group as a team.
That's a very bad thing
Their previous principal was kind of dicator, making everybody so affraid of faillures that they nobody dared to innovate.

Funny that the last thing that is saving F1 interest for me is ... Lando and his twitch streams.
Saw him cycling the track earlier, and wonder how will it look like at 20x speed haha.

Also ... Ferrari :rolleyes: , i hope we get a meteor strike right at it's pit booth, this would probably increase their chance of winning.

Stopped watching this season, 2019 is over for me. Hope you guys see a more interesting race than the ones we had.

I was there in 2007, 2.4L V8s when Hamilton won his first race. I was at t5 and t6, or the second chicane. What astounded me the most was the braking performance and cornering ability. In the short run up between the 1st and second chicane cars were up to 270ish kph and brake at the 50m board, then hard on the acceleration. Then TC was allowed, the most violent by far were the BMW Saubers, the electronic power cut sounded like high power rifle shots, the sound reverberated into your chest, you felt that sh#t. I was about 100-150 feet away from it.

Some of the best memories ever. Biggest regret is not going to Monza in the V10 era. I have nightmares about that to this day.

Fun fact, although grain of salt may be added since wikipedia, Honda will go on record as having the most powerful naturally aspirated F1 engine. Quoted in 2005 their last iteration of the v10 3.0L had around 965bhp, lmao, man what wouldnt they give for that now.

Watched FP 1 this morning. Felt like the « Desert Grand Prix » more than the Canadian GP. Lots of dust on the track, more than usual for a friday morning. Blame it on the construction of the new installations, I guess.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back