2011 World Rally Championship

Mikko Hirvonen and co-driver Jarmo Lehtinen will switch to the Citroen works team in a two-year deal from next season.

The Finns, part of Ford’s factory squad in the World Rally Championship since 2006, will replace Sebastien Ogier and Julien Ingrassia.

“Seeing Sebastien Ogier and Julien Ingrassia leave strikes a particular emotional chord in the whole team,” said Citroen Racing chief Olivier Quesnel. “Citroen Racing trained them, first of all in the JWRC and then in the Citroen Junior Team and the Citroen Total World Rally Team. They had a very good season with five victories and third place in the drivers’ world championship, and they made a productive contribution to the conquest of the manufacturers’ title alongside Sebastien Loeb and Daniel Elena who have claimed their eighth consecutive world crown, a unique achievement in motorsport.

“Now, we’re very happy to welcome Mikko Hirvonen and Jarmo Lehtinen. They’ve been our toughest rivals over the last four seasons and we’re really looking forward to our future collaboration. Mikko is a talented driver and his consistency will be a big help in our fight to retain the manufacturers’ title.”

Citroen Automobiles general manager Frederic Banzet added: “I’d like to take advantage of this occasion to repeat my congratulations to the whole Citroen Racing team for their 2011 titles, as well as Sebastien Loeb and Daniel Elena for their eighth consecutive crown. I’d also like to thank Sebastien Ogier and Julien Ingrassia for their involvement with the make over the last four years and the six victories they’ve added to its results. Today, I’d like to welcome Mikko Hirvonen and Jarmo Lehtinen who are joining us to continue Citroen Racing’s sporting adventure and its determination to score more victories starting with the 2012 Monte Carlo Rally.”

Ogier’s future in the WRC is currently unclear although speculation has linked him to drives with Ford and Volkswagen in the future.

taken from wrc.com

Petter is a candidate for Ford too. There are speculations about Ogier to be racing for VW, but who knows, because next season is still testing - if thats what Ogier wants, I dont know.

And Raikkonen leaves WRC too, he returns to F1 in Williams next year!

It's exceptional, he write a new page of Rally's history.
And in same time in France, it goes unnoticed. No média broadcast the rally, at the best we can have a summary late in night (23h30) during 15 minutes. (and with his new title, little words on in different TV show with Daniel Elena but they can't talk a long time of 15 min maximum both)
It's really a shame, for french's média the sport is only the F1 or football. Yes, football's french team it's an example to follow, for sure :(

He is an amazing driver, however, I can't let go of the thought regarding drivers in the WRC. I will say that it was harder from, around 06 to 03/04. At that time it was more than one and a half good car, and more drivers that could win.
Not saying Loeb is bad, but being, one of the best rally drivers ever, in maybe the best team the last 5-6 years, and the lack of quality around him has made him what he is! :)

My guess:

Citroën: Loeb/Hirvonen
Ford: Latvala/Ogier
Mini: Meeke/Sordo

Citroën privateers: Al-Attyah, Merksteijn, Merksteijn jr.
Ford privateers: Henning Solberg, Wilson, Tanak (with DMACK tyres), Kuipers, Østberg (and 2-3 others, probably Andersson for Sweden, Ken Block in some rallies, Novikov for some, and Al-Qassami if there will be Abu Dhabi on the Fords)
Mini privateers: Daniel Oliveira, Armando Araujo and Pierre Campana

VW-Testing and SWRC racing for Skoda: Mikkelsen and Hanninen.

Latvala and Ogier in the same team, Loeb and Hirvonen in the same team... Does not compute. *smoke coming out of ears*

What about Petter? Hope he'll be there next season too. The only one I could root for at this point :D

Remember 2003, first complete season in WRC, same car that Sainz and McRay (to great rally driver). And he finish 2nd for 1 point behind Solberg in a Subaru. Follow Ford and last Worl champion Gronholm with a Peugeot.
A lot of really good drivers, a lot of constructors (and all was competitive). And Loeb could be world champion in is first season.
No sorry, maybe only ford can follow this year but we need only one big challenger, it's not like Loeb was alone in race.
I'm sure Ford is a fast car, and Hirvonen a really great driver, if he can win, it's only because Loeb it's the best ever driver in Rally ;)

Yea I just read it on ewrc.cz :) Great opportunity for him - he will not lose one season because of testing new car (as he competes in IRC and SWRC), but has a future chance to drive WRC. Clever !

Martin Prokop from SWRC (I hope you all know him!!!! :D) will be racing in 10 of 13 events in WRC with Fiesta RS WRC ("Fiona"), another news just confirmed today.

Trust me, as a Norwegian, I can remember the 2003 season pretty well! :)

But after 2004 it wasn't that though opposition anymore. The Subaru started it's way down. Ford had Gardemeister and Kresta (Even though Gardemeister is a quick driver, he is not a Loeb, Makinen, McRae, Sainz or anything like it). Peugeot had it's... "good" 307. Sainz had reitred, and well, Mitsubishi couldn't regain it's late 90's speed, and Skoda, was Skoda, a pretty good car, but slow drivers. In 2006, Grönholm was in Ford, but that was the only real threat that Loeb had, Subaru was steadily going down. And Manfred Stohl ended 4th total in a privateer Peugeot 307. That's not really something that proves good quality, not that Stohl is slow, but, again, he's not a top-driver. After 2006 we've had Ford vs Citroën, where Citroën has used a lot more money each year.
And the rallies are quite similar. Friday is 3-4 stages run twice, same is saturday, and sunday is a bit shorter. Every rally is almost like a sprint-rally.
Go 15 years back in time -> The rallies was different from eachother. You had Toyota, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Ford (and later Peugeot instead of Toyota) that had good cars. Drivers like Makinen, Burns, Kankkunen, McRae, Sainz, Delecour, Auriol, Grönholm, you had more drivers and teams that could fight for championships and victories. And different drivers, cars, tyres suited different rallies. A good example of this is the Safari rally.

But again, as we've seen, Loebs teammate haven't been second in the championship too often. So of course he is a bloody fast driver. But rally isn't what it was.

Sure, Rally was better last year :(
But my opinion it's just, if you have a last one real opponent (like Ford and Hirvonen) and you can win against , then you deserve to win, despite the absence of other opponent.
For me, while there are no more opponents. That does not diminish the talent that he have.

Sebastien Ogier will be a Volkswagen driver when the German manufacturer makes its World Rally Championship debut in 2013.

“Volkswagen is the number one in Europe and will soon be number one in the world,” said Ogier. “I’m sure that they’re going to compete with the goal of clinching the WRC title. And I’m happy to be part of this from the outset.”

“I am very happy about Sebastian Ogier and Julien Ingrassia joining us,” said Dr Ulrich Hackenberg, member of the Volkswagen Brand Board of Management for the Development Division. “Both of them are important pieces of the puzzle on our way towards building a successful team in the World Rally Championship. It is also a mark of confidence for our team if such a strong pairing opts for a new team in the WRC that is still in the process of being developed.”

Volkwagen Motorsport boss Kris Nissen addd: “We are proud that such a successful and quick duo as Sebastian and Julien have decided to join Volkswagen. The aim of putting a competitive Polo R WRC on the road for them as quickly as possible will additionally drive our team. We look forward to working with them and are hoping for many victories and titles in the future.”

Ogier will perform his first public duty as a Volkswagen driver when he takes part in the Race of Champions event in Dusseldorf from 3/4 December.

source: wrc.com

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea