2009 British Touring Car Championship

BTCC: Adam close to Giovanardi at Brands in morning session

TouringCarTimes said:
While Fabrizio Giovanardi broke the lap record, the real focus of the official British Touring Car Championship test at Brands Hatch was on newcomer Jonathan Adam. The youngster was second fastest, only one tenth behind Giovanardi in his second ever official BTCC test with Airwaves BMW (Motorbase Performance).

The two were the only drivers to get beneath 49 seconds around Brands Hatch. Third fastest was Matt Neal in the Vauxhall Vectra ahead of Team RAC-driver Stephen Jelley.

Vauxhall new boy Andrew Jordan was fifth fastest head of Colin Turkington who topped the previous test at Rockingham.

Robert Collard was seventh fastest in his BMW 320si ahead of three Honda-drivers. Team Dynamics drivers Gordon Shedden and Dave Pinkney was eight and ninth respectively ahead of the BTC spec' Honda Integra of John George.

Harry Vaulkhard of Tempus Sport caused a short stop of the session when he parked his Chevrolet Lacetti in the gravel trap.

“I was experimenting with the brake bias and now know what I was trying doesn’t work – the front tyres just locked up under braking and I slid straight on,” said Vaulkhard to BTCC.net.

Another driver to visit the gravel trap was new comer Liam McMillan in his SEAT Toledo. Neither of the drivers sustained any damage to their cars and were able to continue.

Four drivers were not present during the test: Jason Hughes of KWR Sport, Dan Eaves and Adam Jones of Carbon Zero Racing and Paul O'Neill of Tech-Speed Motorsport.

btcc.net said:
1. Fabrizio Giovanardi (ITA), VX Racing/Vauxhall Vectra, 48.836s
2. Jonathan Adam (GBR), Airwaves BMW/BMW 320si E90, 48.936s
3. Matt Neal (GBR), VX Racing/Vauxhall Vectra, 49.039s
4. Stephen Jelley (GBR), Team RAC/BMW 320si E90, 49.142s
5. Andrew Jordan (GBR), VX Racing/Vauxhall Vectra, 49.187s
6. Colin Turkington (GBR), Team RAC/BMW 320si E90, 49.213s
7. Robert Collard (GBR), Airwaves BMW/BMW 320si E90, 49.242s
8. Gordon Shedden (GBR), Team Dynamics/Honda Civic, 49.297s
9. David Pinkney (GBR), Team Dynamics/Honda Civic, 49.650s
10. John George (GBR), TH Motorsport Racing with JAG/Honda Integra, 49.935s
11. Martyn Bell (GBR), Sunshine.co.uk with Tech-Speed Motorsport/Honda Integra, 50.117s
12. Tom Chilton (GBR), Team Aon/Ford Focus ST, 50.219s
13. Martin Johnson (GBR), Boulevard Team Racing/Vauxhall Astra Coupe, 50.459s
14. Harry Vaulkhard (GBR), Tempus Sport/Chevrolet Lacetti, 50.715s
15. Liam McMillan (GBR), Maxtreme/SEAT Toledo, 51.088s

st_4335_af8d.jpg

btcc09032402.jpg

BTCC: Giovanardi finally beats Brands lap record
TouringCar Times said:
Fabrizio Giovanardi is the first driver in eight years to get under the magical 48.942 lap time at Brands Hatch. The new record reads 48.937, five thousands of a second faster than the old record. Yvan Muller set the previously long standing record during qualifying in April 2001.

btcc09032401.jpg

The test session is due to carry on until 1700GMT.

Rob Collard topped the afternoon session at Brands Hatch. But the Airwaves BMW-driver was unable to beat Fabrizio Giovanardi's time from the first part of the test day.
"I’m happy with my car but it’s very close now and I think it will be even closer when we return here next week for round one," said Giovanardi to BTCC.net.

It was a strong day for both the Vauxhall team and Airwaves BMW. Johnathan Adam's time from the first part of the test was second fastest overall and team mate Collard's time was third fastest overall.

"I’m very satisfied with how today’s gone. We had a busy schedule and we got through everything we needed to. Nor are we playing games – our times are true and I’m confident we can replicate that speed when we come back here in ten days’ time," said Collard.

Airwaves BMW team boos David Bartrum was very pleased with the day.

“Today’s results in testing were very positive. As it’s our local track we are always confident of running well here and we know it also favours the strengths of the BMW 320si. However, both Jonny and Rob really kicked it up a gear and showed that they will be serious contenders for race honours when the real action starts," said Bartrum.

Matt Neal was fourth fastest overall, being only 0.023 seconds from getting under the magical 49.00 times at Brands Hatch.

Gordon Shedden claimed fifth fastest time in the Team Dynamics prepared Honda Civic ahead of Team RAC man Stephen Jelley.

Andrew Jordan was seventh fastest ahead of Colin Turkington. The BMW-man spent most of the test running long distances, opting the race setup.

Harry Vaulkhard improved his best time of the day to end up ninth overall after his visit in the graveltrap earlier today. David Pinkney rounded off top ten with a time of 49.592.

The all new Ford Focus of Tom Chilton was 12th fastest. His best time of the day was just over a second slower compared to Giovanardi's best time.

Overall results of test day:

1. Fabrizio Giovanardi (ITA), VX Racing/Vauxhall Vectra, 48.836s
2. Jonathan Adam (GBR), Airwaves BMW/BMW 320si E90, 48.936s
3. Robert Collard (GBR), Airwaves BMW/BMW 320si E90, 48.939s
4. Matt Neal (GBR), VX Racing/Vauxhall Vectra, 49.023s
5. Gordon Shedden (GBR), Team Dynamics/Honda Civic, 49.053s
6. Stephen Jelley (GBR), Team RAC/BMW 320si E90, 49.142s
7. Andrew Jordan (GBR), VX Racing/Vauxhall Vectra, 49.169s
8. Colin Turkington (GBR), Team RAC/BMW 320si E90, 49.213s
9. Harry Vaulkhard (GBR), Tempus Sport/Chevrolet Lacetti, 49.584s
10. David Pinkney (GBR), Team Dynamics/Honda Civic, 49.592s
11. John George (GBR), TH Motorsport Racing with JAG/Honda Integra, 49.935s
12. Tom Chilton (GBR), Team Aon/Ford Focus ST, 49.975s
13. Martyn Bell (GBR), Sunshine.co.uk with Tech-Speed Motorsport/Honda Integra, 50.117s
14. Liam McMillan (GBR), Maxtreme/SEAT Toledo, 50.372s
15. Martin Johnson (GBR), Boulevard Team Racing/Vauxhall Astra Coupe, 50.459s

Sources: Touringcartimes.com, btcc.net

Good to see Rob Collard doing well too!

Interesting about Chilton's Focus not being as fast. Again like I said, it looks very close and competitive, so can't wait to see the season start on brands! :)

Jason Plato is back! with RML and Team AFM Return

Well this is NOT an April fools but Jason Plato is returning to BTCC on Sunday in an RML Chevrolet Lacetti and also the Team AFM BMW 1 Series is returning with Nick Leason at the wheel.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.