1958-1961 Austin-Healey Sprite

Cars 1958-1961 Austin-Healey Sprite 0.5

glasshouse

10RPM
Oct 29, 2017
glasshouse submitted a new resource:

1958-1961 Austin-Healey Sprite - Small car a chap can have in the shed

The original Austin-Healey Sprite (nicknamed the frogeye) was a cheap sports car for the everyday man. Great rally history and sold very well in the UK, Europe and the US.

Original mod: Cameron Montlake-Mees
Sound: Luathas
A-Series engine: Pessio Garage

Improvements to the original mod include:
-60s vintage tyres
-Detuned the original 948cc engine to match real car performance
-Added and detuned a 1275cc engine (by Pessio Garage) to match Sebring Sprite performance
-Upgraded all the...
Read more about this resource...

Orange4000

50RPM
Oct 1, 2018
Thanks for this. The car's handling feels pretty believable.

The gearbox feels odd. Even on a slow upshift it takes a while before the drivetrain gets it together. The revs stay put and then drop. Almost like there's an erratic overdrive switch.

Cheers,

Ben

Last edited:
Reactions: simseany

Mascot

Card-carrying mod whore
Jul 13, 2014
You mentioned scaling the steering wheel to suit the driver, but have you considered scaling the driver instead? Modders often scale the Kunos drivers down by ~10% or so as they sometimes appear quite large, especially in a small car like this.
Also, the shifting animation is extremely weird. The position of the shifting hand actually changes position depending on the rotation of the steering wheel instead of hitting the same spot every time, so can end up very out of position in relation to the gearknob. I'm pretty sure I've never seen this effect on any other car.

glasshouse

10RPM
Oct 29, 2017
Yes I rekon that would be the better solution for the same problem. However I do like that the driver model is looking kinda large. The car is very small and driver do kinda look like giants driving Sprites. :roflmao:

However taking in account the shifter animation conflicting with the steeringwheel, that certainly not make up for the hand/steering wheel placement.

Rodger Davies

100RPM
Apr 17, 2011
Super, thanks - I've been watching all pre 1970 Sebring race footage I can find lately and the hardtop versions feature quite frequently so looking forward to giving this a go

glasshouse

10RPM
Oct 29, 2017
Nice! The update featuring the hardtop will also include a skin of the 1959 Sebring Sprite class winner and 1960 Sebring 4 hour car driven by Stirling Moss.

__custom_showroom_1606428380.jpg

__custom_showroom_1606233631.jpg

Last edited: