1952 Ferrari 500 F1/F2 - [WIP]

Cars 1952 Ferrari 500 F1/F2 - [WIP] 0.91

Login or Register an account to download this content
First of all: Thanks for letting us know, apologise accepted and yes, the current version (0.91 from 02.03.24) was a huge improvment compared to the version I've driven first (v0.8). So I started to race this car with v0.8, which was the latest version to this time, and I've never driven v0.7. But now it made sense and I gave the car another chance. Deleted the crap-version (let's name it) and started from the beginning.

I was immediately able to drive a lap around Bremgarten and started to get used to the car. I also tested at Pau historic yesterday. More tiny corners and more braking. It's driveable now and it starts to make fun but there are still some unpredictable behaviours of the car which I couldn't find out how to handle them.

Today I've tested it on Donington Park 1938 and yes the track is pretty bumpy. But even on smooth tarmac the car begins to oversteer when I lift of the throttle a little bit while cornering. Braking is way better compared to v0.8 of course, but for my style of driving I need to put the brake bias a little bit more to the front instead of your suggestion to go to 54-56 %. Feels more predictable with 62-64 % on the tracks I've tested the car.

And today with the testing at Donington I assume that there's not only a problem with the rear brakes but also with differential settings. And the pitty is that it's not adjustable atm.
When I notice a car wants to brake out at the rear while braking (harder or soft) or when I just lift off the throttle (totally or from full-- to half-throttle) I could always fix that behaviour by adjusting the differential. I think it locks too much. E.g. I drive slow (40-60 km/h) and shift down from 3rd to 2nd gear the car spins into the corner. That's a) not realistic and b) weird.
And I shouln'd even have to come to that corner in 3rd gear at those low speeds, but the car is more stable this way. Generally that car doesn't like higher revs while cornering. It's possible - sometimes - but the car gets extremely nervous and because it's hard to handle it mostly ends in a crash.

Anyway, this current version is an improvement and I started to like that Ferrari (not just because I'm a Ferraristi for my lifetime). I wouldn't have driven about 3 hours since sunday when this car still annoys me. ;-)
It's special to handle but maybe the next updates will calm its touchy/petulant (I don't now if you call it that way in English) behaviour here and there. So thanks for this car btw. :)

Ok, for now I've invested enough time in that car (testing, writing), but I just wanted to give my 2 cents for the new release. I want that Ferrari to become an enjoyable race car, even with drum brakes. ;-)
As a trained car mechanic (over 20 years ago) I totally agree that drum brakes need to be treated a little bit different than steel-disk-brakes or carbon-disk-brakes of course. Carbon brakes need the heat, drum brakes don't. It's a difference like day and night. And the brake force they can deliver is lower than steel disks. That's all fine but the car needs to be brakeable and predictable. If it's not, nobody would have driven those cars back in the days. Drivers want to get out alive, not injured or dead. That's realistic. ;-)
Here I totally agree with @Kronzky.

@Kronzky: Thanks for the video. It shows pretty well what I was talking about in my last (1st) post. And I didn't even brake that much as you did. Weird.

P.S. I also wasn't notificated that there were updates to this section or to the car itself. I came here by pure coincidence and saw the notification bell highlighted.

Happy developing and cu. :)
We're working on huge update, with a further improved Center of gravity placement, more realistic tyre physics, and a lot of optimisations. We completely agree with your feedback that the car is still much trickier than where we want it to be. Which is why it is still a WIP and will remain untill we are happy with how it handles and performs.

From what I was told, a single tick of positive camber on the right front should fix that. It wasn't a big misalining
OK, so not the toe (like in your 1st answer) but the camber. I went for the hint with the camber and added 2 clicks in positive direction. Now I have 1.9 degrees front left and 2.1 degrees front right and that's a big improvement in handling the car.

I just came back from about 20 laps at Donington 38 (because I think this tricky and bumpy track is a good testing scenario) and it was really fun to drive today. Now I feel that like I AM the driver and not the passenger.

Guys, seems like you know what you've to focus on and you're on a good way. Keep it up! ;-)

I'm awaiting the next update and then I'll give a rating, because now it's still W.I.P. But it's a good state of W.I.P. with the camber-fix. :)

Thanks.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea