1952 Ferrari 500 F1/F2 - [WIP]

Cars 1952 Ferrari 500 F1/F2 - [WIP] 0.91

Login or Register an account to download this content
Obi-Wan_Kannabis submitted a new resource:

1952 Ferrari 500 F1/F2 - [WIP] - The 1952 and 1953 Championship Winning F1 car brought to Assetto Corsa

Brought to you by Revival Racing League in association with Historic Sim StudiosView attachment 713557
History
For 1952 the Formula 1 regulations were scrapped and Formula 2 regulations were used instead, this was where Ferrari took the opportunity to create a dominant car that would be remembered forever
Winning all but one championship race it entered it was a force to be reckoned with, even its updated forms were still capable of...

Read more about this resource...

This is similar to my childhood formula car :)

It was called Neppis
neppisauto.jpg

Attachments

• neppisauto.jpg
    neppisauto.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 36
I applaud the effort, as we honestly need more racing cars from the '50es as neither official devs or modders dip into this very large and amazing pool.
Just one thing: please DO NOT make lods using those awful automatic converters. Please. Just don't make lods at all if that's the case.

Left rear spring is not attached. Just a heads up. Like it so far. Thanks!View attachment 713795
Yea, we've been having issues trying to get it to attach, it isn't following orders...
I applaud the effort, as we honestly need more racing cars from the '50es as neither official devs or modders dip into this very large and amazing pool.
Just one thing: please DO NOT make lods using those awful automatic converters. Please. Just don't make lods at all if that's the case.
We will make better ones for sure as is written in the article, we just figured the automatic ones would be better than nothing untill then

The lods are fine for now, better than having none. I just wonder, will the updates be just posted here, or will hss publish the car themselves?

Both mirrors reflect the same side, apparently they need to be divided into two objects.
or maybe you just need to mark it correctly, for each side.

correction, reset the camera view to “auto position” and now each mirror displays its own side.
By the way, in mirrors.ini you have the wrong name of the mirror object, because of this everything is blurred and enlarged. I wrote it this way, now everything is fine with the mirrors, and I have access to setting up mirrors during the game through the application.
[MIRROR_0]
NAME=Circle
Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2023.12.16 - 01.39.40.54.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, "Lead dev" guy here,
i am trying to fix a specific issue that i have with the AC constraint based animation system i am using for the 500. The meshes parented to the SUSP_LF and SUSP_RF empties are rotating around the respective HUB empties when turning, which shouldn't happen as the HUB is parented to the SUSP nulls and not the other way around, the whole assembly moves correctly in blender but causes this in both the showroom and the game.

This happens even when the HUB, SUSP and WHEEL nulls are in the exact same place with all the origins of the child meshes set to that same exact point. If anyone has any idea how to fix this, let me know, i can even send an fbx or blend file your way if you know your stuff and don't have enough data to understand the issue

Heres an example screenshot of the lower wishbone, hub and leafspring moving in ways it shouldn't:

2023-12-19 23_47_53-image.png (WEBP-Grafik, 352 × 341 Pixel) – Mozilla Firefox.png

And a fast MS Paint attempt at a visual explanation:

2023-12-19 23_48_13-image.png (PNG-Grafik, 634 × 341 Pixel) – Mozilla Firefox.png

Last edited:
Hey, "lead dev" guy here again,
Id like to clear up a few things.
This is a repost from this article

About the Mods purpose:
For all the people hoping to get a full grid of cars for the 1952 season, i am sorry to disappoint, but it wont be happening anytime soon, as this is part of the Revival Racing League project.

The Aim of our league is to recreate every single race of F1 history as closely as we can, which unfortunately means we always lack some cars, both the '50 and '51 season were ran on 4 and 5 cars respectively. Now, we are not aware of any 1952 cars being available for AC at the moment, so the decision was made (without prior experience) to make the car ourselves, which means 1952 will unfortunately be a spec season.

This is the only way the project can move on, as it exists, because waiting for every grid of every season to be complete, is unfortunately wishful thinking. So you can expect mods from our league to fill future seasons lacking cars. Else, i might independently decide to make and release cars even if they are not strictly necessary to our effort, as i found the process very rewarding.

About our work on the car:
The original 3D model for the car was acquired almost exactly a year ago, we had mistakenly believed the model to be an accurate representation of the car as it raced back in the 50s that could just be plopped into AC and be ready to race.

Unfortunately, the more i looked, the more inconsistencies, technical issues and inacuraccies i found. From the suspension not making any physical sense, the steering wheel not being round, the polycount being huge, to the front end of the car, among other things, being completely fictional.

(This is in no way intended to be read as me throwing shade at the original creator, as many of the changes they made, were probably due to wanting to avoid getting struck down for copyrighting reasons, it is clear that he is extremely proficient at 3D modelling for any non realtime/game applications, but the historical accuracy and performance was lacking for our usecase.)

So, i started learning blender and dedicated the biggest part of the year to remodeling inaccurate parts, and improving every part other part of the 3D model best i could. According to steam i must have spent close to 700 hours doing so.

There is no part of the model left intact, and many completely remade from scratch, such as the suspension. I reduced the polycount by roughly 50%, and it is still at 700k verticies. This is, in effect a completely different model to the original, but i still insisted on labeling it as commercially acquired for transparencies sake.

This Frankenstein way of doing things, is the reason for many inconsistencies regarding naming schemes, file formats, LODs, polycounts and material count, and also the developement time, as i was learning constantly while cutting up and remaking existing stuff erratically. Expect any future mods to be completely bespoke, as i think a streamlined from the ground up process will be far quicker to release.

About HSS's involvement:
And finally HSS's involvement was strictly in the realm of driving dynamics, which i was frankly completely incapable of doing to a good of, that said expect an update from them concerning the tyres soon!

Final words:
Anyways, we want to thank everyone for their kind words about, and praise of, the car, i am really honoured as i wouldn't have expected it to gain the amount of popularity it has, especially considering it's extremely chaotic developement and existence. And lastly, even though this project was mainly my affair in terms of moddeling and implementation into the game, an mainly HSS's in terms of physics, the RRL league's locals deserve as much, if not more praise, as they have been the enabling factor in the creation of this, and been the most supportive bunch along the way, helping out best they can. Without them this mod wouldn't exist.

Also, we don't have a full grid for the 52 season yet, wink wink, nudge nudge.

Anton Ezatl

Last edited by a moderator:
Obi-Wan_Kannabis updated 1952 Ferrari 500 F1/F2 - [WIP] with a new update entry:

Physics Update!

Physics:

1. Added some extended physics code to car.ini.
  2. Revised gearbox change times.
  3. Revised auto shifter gas cutoff time.
  4. Added 0.01 second delay in engine response to capture non-electronic control of this engine (you could increase it to like 0.05 to probably be more realistic, but since its a new CSP extended physics feature and people aren't used to it, I'm using 0.01 seconds for now with our HSS cars so I also did the same here).
  5. Added CSP advanced fuel...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I have the latest version .8 installed and when AC tries to load the car, the screen flashes and goes back to the the AC home screen. It does this too with .7. It does this no matter what track is selected.
Decided to try launching with content manger and it shows the following is missing:
File "ui car json"is missing
Brands badge is missing
Skins are missing.

I have tried manually installing and then tried with Content Manager and both have the same issue. Tried deleting the car in the folder each time.

Any suggestions on how to install would be greatly appreciated.

I have the latest version .8 installed and when AC tries to load the car, the screen flashes and goes back to the the AC home screen. It does this too with .7. It does this no matter what track is selected.
Decided to try launching with content manger and it shows the following is missing:
File "ui car json"is missing
Brands badge is missing
Skins are missing.

I have tried manually installing and then tried with Content Manager and both have the same issue. Tried deleting the car in the folder each time.

Any suggestions on how to install would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same issue - I am not a beginner when it comes to installing mods like this .
But this one just wont start up on my Pc ? I have windows 10 on my pc.
I just put the folder in : Content / cars - Correct ?

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea