What is the current progress of the sim?

ty for the tip, but one the the things I hate is when I have to be turning my wheel like a madman!
You'd be surprised - the steering lock seems to be implemented differently in rF2 to other sims. I'm running a Logitech G25 at 540deg of rotation, properly calibrated and everything... When I've driven the GT-R, I've had to set the steering lock to something like 14 degrees or less, otherwise I'm only turning the wheel 45 degrees just to get around a 2nd gear turn. It's crazy responsive, and it doesn't quite sit right with me.

I have my Thrustmaster T500 set to 1080° in windows control panel. I then let rf2 set the degrees of rotation in game depending on what car it is and I find it perfect IMO. I think rf2 has the clio at over 900°.

yeah for realism and pure driving experience RF2 wins hands down for me, the Skip Barber takes time to master but when you get it right its a joy to drive.

But yet you say the sim is a fail??????

Just re-read my list again and missed one of the biggest Cons for me:
Lack of 5.1/7.1 Surround Sound Support

A game initially released in 2012 without that is just not good enough, I let rF1 off in 2005 for it when others did'nt.
It has reverb and other effects but sound really adds immersion into a sim and ISI have not had a decent sound artist/coder or they simply hav'nt bothered. Again something that needs to be addressed in 2013, this is something 2003 titles should have from the start!

No idea where you get this false info from, maybe it's not implemented yet and still being worked on, like most parts of the game, but the options allow you to choose 5.1, 7.1 and even bloody 8.1 surround, plus some kinda simulated SRS audio surround.

But yet you say the sim is a fail??????

yes it fails in many areas but succeeds in many others, re-read my post again and you'll understand...thats why I wrote Pros AND Cons ;)

No idea where you get this false info from, maybe it's not implemented yet and still being worked on, like most parts of the game, but the options allow you to choose 5.1, 7.1 and even bloody 8.1 surround, plus some kinda simulated SRS audio surround.

Because its not directional, cars passing on the right of you in game does not come across as the right of you through the Speakers, backfiring does not come from the speaker "nearest" the exhaust but from all speakers, front wheel locking comes from all again ist not implemented properly.
Seems like (as with a lot of other things) they started to work with the sound then just stopped, the reverb off the barriers/walls is great and works as intended but theres sooooo much more to do with regards to sound positioning.

But thats the point of my argument, a game of this day and age should come with basic directional surround sound support from the start, not (yet another) thing ISI plan on adding "in the future", thats a tired excuse already and the games only just come out of Beta....supposedly!

But thats the point of my argument, a game of this day and age should come with basic directional surround sound support from the start, not (yet another) thing ISI plan on adding "in the future", thats a tired excuse already and the games only just come out of Beta....supposedly!

There is zero point arguing over beta content. Your argument seems to based on your opinion, and what you personally would 'like' to be in the current build. There is no 'in this day and age' expected standard of content on a beta release, and I don't recall seeing any 'excuses' from ISI regarding anything.

I can understand your disappointment at something you personally find important not being complete to the level you hoped, but it's not a polished demo, its a work in progress, and I suspect that nailing surround is fair a way down the list of requirements.

There is zero point arguing over beta content. Your argument seems to based on your opinion, and what you personally would 'like' to be in the current build. There is no 'in this day and age' expected standard of content on a beta release, and I don't recall seeing any 'excuses' from ISI regarding anything.

I can understand your disappointment at something you personally find important not being complete to the level you hoped, but it's not a polished demo, its a work in progress, and I suspect that nailing surround is fair a way down the list of requirements.

Opinion or not are you telling me sound is'nt a top priority in a racing sim? because it is to many not just me have a look at the ISI Forums and the number of compaints over there!!
Plus its not a Beta anymore, ISI have changed the wording on the official site, its now simply a "work in progress" which is exactly the lame excuse they keep pumping out...again check the ISI Forums you'll see it used plenty of times.

Again where ISI are good they're great, where they're poor they're very poor!

Hadnt noticed the status update, been too busy enjoying the content that is in the game. :)

Seriously I respect that surround is important, I dont fequent the ISI boards so I dont know if its a hot topic for a lot of peeps.
Like I said (for me), work in progress is exactly that, and if ISI are spending their time working on perfecting the driving simulation at the cost of some SFX, then thats fine by me and i would expect the majority of hardcores. You know it will be sorted before the game goes gold, so I guess people have a choice, and if it is well documented on the ISI boards that the sound isnt up to scratch, then people can make a well informed decision whether to buy a WIP or not.

Releasing a game at this stage in the development cycle is always going to divide opinion. Some will appreciate the flaws and embrace the opportunity, others will feel short changed by the same things.

Hadnt noticed the status update, been too busy enjoying the content that is in the game. :)

Seriously I respect that surround is important, I dont fequent the ISI boards so I dont know if its a hot topic for a lot of peeps.
Like I said (for me), work in progress is exactly that, and if ISI are spending their time working on perfecting the driving simulation at the cost of some SFX, then thats fine by me and i would expect the majority of hardcores. You know it will be sorted before the game goes gold, so I guess people have a choice, and if it is well documented on the ISI boards that the sound isnt up to scratch, then people can make a well informed decision whether to buy a WIP or not.

Releasing a game at this stage in the development cycle is always going to divide opinion. Some will appreciate the flaws and embrace the opportunity, others will feel short changed by the same things.

Me too when I'm at home but my job is very boring so I need to pass the time on forums ;)

My main concern about the sound area is that rf 1 had poor sound support, hence my current frustration and actual worry that it won't get improved upon, work in progress or not. Incidentally the game is now "released" so this is Gold, ISI wording things a bit differently it seems.

Good news about the corvette, I'll grab that when I get home!

Me too when I'm at home but my job is very boring so I need to pass the time on forums ;)

My main concern about the sound area is that rf 1 had poor sound support, hence my current frustration and actual worry that it won't get improved upon, work in progress or not. Incidentally the game is now "released" so this is Gold, ISI wording things a bit differently it seems.

Good news about the corvette, I'll grab that when I get home!

I know what you mean about passing the time :)

Hopefully the feedback ISI receive will increase the importance of this - but I expect apart from bug fixing, their schedule is fairly planned out for the foreseeable. Hopefully true surround support will be in there somewhere!

Opinion or not are you telling me sound is'nt a top priority in a racing sim? because it is to many not just me have a look at the ISI Forums and the number of compaints over there!!
Plus its not a Beta anymore, ISI have changed the wording on the official site, its now simply a "work in progress" which is exactly the lame excuse they keep pumping out...again check the ISI Forums you'll see it used plenty of times.

Again where ISI are good they're great, where they're poor they're very poor!

They removed the word beta, doesn't mean it's magically a finished, completed product, on the contrary actually, nothing has changed, it's just as much as a work in progress/alpha/beta as its always been, removing the 4 letters "beta" from a title doesn't mean anything, and I'm sure you know this very well, that it's just as much a w.i.p. as it's always been.

Oh yeah I know that, but now ISI pretty much state it's a released game with ongoing work, you/I can handle that but newcomers might find it confusing to find bugs in the game that might not get fixed anytime soon.

I'm sure this game still has bugs. However, it has massively improved on a few months ago.
the f2, clios and meganes (as examples) are brilliant. when i drive the megane, it feels just like a real car.

with that in mind, even though some may disagree, how come there are so few leagues? I noted the CLio league which i missed out on (my bad due to work commitments) and...a winter testing league. apart from that there are weekly club events which are great. however, i wouldn't mind focussing on one car and trying to perfect it in a competitive but fun league rather than learning a new car and track every week. so any plans to match the progress of the sim?:)

I'm sure this game still has bugs. However, it has massively improved on a few months ago.
the f2, clios and meganes (as examples) are brilliant. when i drive the megane, it feels just like a real car.

with that in mind, even though some may disagree, how come there are so few leagues? I noted the CLio league which i missed out on (my bad due to work commitments) and...a winter testing league. apart from that there are weekly club events which are great. however, i wouldn't mind focussing on one car and trying to perfect it in a competitive but fun league rather than learning a new car and track every week. so any plans to match the progress of the sim?:)
There will be new and more leagues coming for rf2. It just needs some time. As I said before, its not finished imo, so in principle, all leagues are tests at this stage. They keep changing things, and implementing new features, so its hard to run a professional set up league at this moment.

Also, I am really waiting on the driver swaps. Need that for longer races, which automaticly open options for leagues again.

Last is more activity in the online section of rf2. When you look now, there are about 20 people online... in total... Thats simply embarrising for a sim like this. When that picks up again, leagues will follow.

Too hard? Go slower, and read

- going faster by Carl Lopez
- drive to win by Carroll smith
- the book by piero taruffi
- secrets of racecar driving techniques 1 and 2

Been there done that.
GTR EVO, GSC 2012, Netkar+AC all easy to drive.
I can't drive any smoother or gently, anyway, they admit the tyre physics aren't finished, so maybe there's hope, but atm it's a PITA to be either fast or consistent.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.