What is the current progress of the sim?

I'm comparing rf2 to GSC 2012 and GTR EVO's best cars{these are the two most convincing to me}.
GSC F3 for example feels like it has an independent front and rear end, whereas the recent Lola mod and rf2's F2 feel like they're fixed to a turntable and are rigidly attached to it.

Whether it's the FFB or the physics, the weight transfer in rf2 feels unnatural and pendulum like.
As I've said in the past, it'll be interesting to see how Reiza's Niels H's mod/s drive, as the overall driving experience of GSC is impressive and IMO, can be used as benchmarks for judging any sim.

To me, precision is far more important than accuracy, so I don't care whether braking distances or top speeds are out a bit, but I do care that the whole process of driving is precise and believable, and that's where rf2 fails.

Gsc is based on I believe a later, if not the very latest version of the RFactor 1 engine, I believe it was somewhere between v1.6 and v1.8 (we have v1.255) if reiza can do what they did with the amazing GSC on the rf1 engine, then why would you doubt the potential of what the entire rf2 physics engine can achieve with it's huge amount of improvements?....

Weird

Gsc is based on I believe a later, if not the very latest version of the RFactor 1 engine, I believe it was somewhere between v1.6 and v1.8 (we have v1.255) if reiza can do what they did with the amazing GSC on the rf1 engine, then why would you doubt the potential of what the entire rf2 physics engine can achieve with it's huge amount of improvements?....

Weird

To me it's a combination of the mentality and knowledge of the developer, and Reiza are in my good books, but as yet, rf2 isn't worth my time{G27}.....and I should point out that I only use the medium FFB setting for GSC 2012, and that works near perfectly with my wheel, however, rf2's FFB, feel etc is all over the shop.

I bought and played from the release of the beta for a while but was underwhelmed and left it alone for a long time in favour of GSC.
After recently updating to build 134 (from something like build 68) the progress jump is great.

Enjoying the F2's a lot. And the FISI cars similar to F1 are a hoot, along with all the other mod cars which are coming along.
Im amazed how well it plays and at high detail 1920x1080 is still pulling in 60fps on crossfire 4870s.
Got all the mods available on RD and I think rF2 is looking and feeling very promising now indeed.

I know you two (Jan-Olov Johansson & Paul Lock) like F1 a lot. ;) I can assure you, you will love the Formula 2 car a lot. The Formula ISI has DRS and is very fast like Formula 1, but hard to control and setup.
The Classic F3 is one of the greatest sim cars to drive, also the Renault CLIO and Nissan 370z are awesome. There is a lot more to come that is for sure.:)

I love rFactor2 a lot and not only because I manage this section. :)

Come and join us in the Club races, great crowd and loads of fun.

And before iI forget: A very Happy New Year! :)

Considering buying rf2 so my question is this: Since I love GSC (especially the F1's and the classic turbos) will I love rf2 too ? :);)

If you love the modern and the classic F-Reiza like I do too, you will surely get something out of the F-ISI and the F2 for example.
Allthough you will have a harder time driving them hard, as the tires give out quite early atm and the ffb is really lacking when it comes to feeling tires and griplevels as well as in for example Race or GSC.

But the F-ISI has quite a lot of options already, like all possible compound combinations and DRS and there are also already some nice tracks available like Sebring or Estoril, so driving around in these cars should be not wasted time for you :)

edit: since Stefan mentioned it too: If you want to race online; the F2 clubraces here at RD is something I would recommend :D

Thanks for the input guys, that was some useful information you shared. :thumbsup:

Think I'll give it a try, probably the one year licence to see if I like it. A bit worried about the lack of feel in the ffb Dino mentions and also the fact that the game still seems so far away from an official release.

Anyway, tomorrow it's back to work after 11 days of fantastic Christmas holliday...Happy New Year to you to :)

Happy new year Stefan!

Yes I've been doing a little practice in the F2 at Malaysia, not sure ill make the club race.

The FFB is interesting. Varies from car to car as it should. Takes a bit of getting used to. Certainly needs a bit of work, but on the whole when the front goes light, I'm trying to go to fast round a turn. Maybe the delivery of the effects could be better, but it seems to be enough to bring a smile to my face lol ;)

Back to work tomorrow too Jan, I'm drinking Swedish mango flavour vodka to make the pain go away :)

Ummmmm maybe because the game ISN'T EVEN OUT YET, and is still being developed????

And what's the different for the normal user? You have some cars, some tracks, and a game that works. Being beta or gold doesn't make any difference in this case.

If the game was really amazingly good the multiplayer activity would be much bigger, despite being beta, I have no doubt about that.

Guys,

this is a family friendly forum. We don't want anyone to mock others or even openly insult them. Yet, this has happened in this very thread. I can understand that it's often hard to accept that someone else might have a different opinion and doesn't want to change it.

However, we still can not and will not accept that a simple discussion about games requires our intervention. If it does require our intervention it must've gone bad and we want everyone to enjoy his / her stay on RD.

I have thus suspended you, Marco, for 3 days, until the 5th of January 2013, so that you guys can cool down and think about your way of communicating. I want to reiterate that David did play his part in this as well but I believe that only offensive comments should be actioned and nobody should be actioned because someone else has been easily offended.

Marco & Stefan posted in here and made clear that we want everyone to behave but yet that somehow didn't work out. However, you are welcome to come back and discuss things in a polite and civilized manner according to the terms you agreed on when you signed up.

Tom

Now that the game is not being referred too as a "Beta" anymore then I think its safe to say ISI have succeeded and failed in the past year, I've gone back and relived it in my mind and come to the conclusions below. These are personal opinions of course, you can agree or disagree...thats alright....thats what opinions are!

Pros:
Real Road Tech is amazing
Physics are top notch (especially in the Skip Barber)
Tracks are a delight to drive
Immersion of the driving is fantastic
Day/Night/Weather all great
AI has improved and is generally very good to race against
Resume From Replay is great

Cons:
Appaling use of the Modding System still not changed/ammended too in anyway, it really is bad and should've been dealt with before the Beta even came out.
Skins usage still not fully implemented, partly due to the above.
Vmods, whilst the idea is good they are fundamentally flawed.
Car models are good but not great
Bugs still remain that were there 12months ago (and now its not Beta you kinda expect them to be fixed)
UI is poor
Everything is "coming later" it seems, seems like an excuse to me.
Communication from ISI is very poor, only have to look at other Sims Companies to see how its done.

The first couple of Cons above should've been fully dealt with before the Beta even came out, whoever designed the Modding System obviously never played rF1 properly when it came to downloading files, usage of those files, editing of those files for personal use....Skins area being the main balls up. Where once it took Notepad to alter one line in a file and go play, you now need a Diploma in Mod Handling to do exactly the same thing, its an arse ache...period!

Its like ISI did'nt have a proper Road Map set in place when they first said "OK lets go with RF2", its like they dived in without researching and discussing the Pros & Cons themselves. Even the UI, I mean thats supposed to be an easy area of a game to produce yet its plain and simply poor, all they had to do was look at the great community made UIs and copy them but no....!!!

Whilst to some it may seem theres been a lack of progress in 12months I do see a bit, performance has improved dramtically since the first build, physics changes have helped along the way, AI have improved. Extra content to come out from ISI was good, Skip Barber/Lime Rock being the personal highlight plus the community made tracks have been fantastic (and in the sametime shown ISI up a bit!)

I liken ISI to a Football Team, they have their strong points but also their weak, their good areas constantly outshine the poor......they are the Arsenal of racing sims, great a few years back, have the right ideas now but generally not good enough and not where I'd expect them to be right now at this moment in time, plenty of promise for the future but theres a nagging voice that instead of saying "its coming" is actually saying "yeah good luck with that".

Overall where ISI/RF2 is good they're Great, where they're poor they're Very Poor. I thererfore give RF2s first year 6/10, I'm hoping for a remarkable improvement in 2013.

I just bought RF2 but I feel a refund coming. EVERY car is oversteering like crazy on me and I cant really fix it. F2 feels ok, but im like 6 seconds behind the AI. After I let the AI drive my car, I see they brake much much later. I can't "feel"the car getting away from me. I cant complete 2 turns with the regional skip Barber car. I even manage to loose the Clio due to oversteering midcorner. End of rant(for now).

Well, it has been said in the beginning, that everyone who has played a sim before, and starts to play rf2, needs to learn how to drive again. The physics are differently implemented then in the sims we are used to drive.
I do have to say that I feel them as very realistic. The fact that I know that certain real life car manufacurers use rf2 to test the physics of their new to be build models, only makes me believe stronger the physics are close to real feeling.

I would advise you to give it a bit more time. Get used to the feeling and the cars. Overall seen, the physics is one of those points most find very good, and complaints are few about. Mostly, complains are about the mod system, and graphic side of the sim.

yeah for realism and pure driving experience RF2 wins hands down for me, the Skip Barber takes time to master but when you get it right its a joy to drive. Defintaley a car you need to stick at as apposed to just jumping in and beging fast straight away, not every racing formula is that simple!

Just re-read my list again and missed one of the biggest Cons for me:
Lack of 5.1/7.1 Surround Sound Support

A game initially released in 2012 without that is just not good enough, I let rF1 off in 2005 for it when others did'nt.
It has reverb and other effects but sound really adds immersion into a sim and ISI have not had a decent sound artist/coder or they simply hav'nt bothered. Again something that needs to be addressed in 2013, this is something 2003 titles should have from the start!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%