What i think is not right with RRes physics?!

Msportdan

@Simberia
FINAL UPDATE!
hhhhmmmmmmm so i gave the DTMs on RF2 a try last night and just fell for them, so nice to drive feels natural nice FFB and weight in wheel.

Go ahead and i put RRe and it just feels wrong, (even with my new settings) the middle of the wheel feel loose/light and has no ffb. Its horrid.. Unless you have the wheel turned its just poor. Only way i can really cure this is turn up steering force, then i start getting the "auto" bloody straighten wheel assist or whatever it is. (possibly too much forcing the other way)

I have come to the conclusion (as apart from buying a new wheel) that this is a great game etc, but when played with another sim with better physics, you can notice it so much more. Its to a point its off putting.

Maybe a possibility of a minumum force setting? Well since not one dev has commented on it it must just be me, or im being ignored, it doesnt really matter as so many people think the FFB are bang on "ppffft" lol.

So for me there is STILL something that isnt quite right about RRe physics etc.... and until S3 fix this (floaty around the centre feel) ill stand by my OP, because ive given up searching for the "sweet spot"!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST
I tried something on the way home in my car (f20 125i msport bmw rwd). Ive never really would say I practice sim driving on the road. I tried swerving left and right really quickly. Which is something ive been comparing in the sims im playing. I know this sounds silly, but I remember someone saying how good a set of physics are by, aggressively going left and right and see if the tyres slip (bite and slip ) as you get faster and more intense.

To my surprise (okay I wasn't do track speeds but its all relative) my cars was quite sharp on its front end, they front tyres felt connected to the road and there wasn't much roll in the car. (probs due to the msport suspension) only as I got faster did the tyres start to slip, but that is also 220bhp through the rear.

Anyway I got in and tried the Wttc bmw, which is a tad similar okay no where near but you know what I mean. To my dismay the race spec car felt horrid, it felt squishy on it front suspension felt quite numb up front, and felt like this was the road car.!! When you do the motion I was doing In my car you get a sort of a sway going, like a pendulum effect. THIS IS WHATS KILLING RRE FOR ME. many a times ive popped out of a slipstream and ive had this awrkward sway feeling. Sorry it feels wrong, You don't feel like your connected to the road the suspension doesn't feel responsive and confidence isn't gained this way.

So I tried another sim that im getting back into at the mo (excusing its dire AI) and that's AC. I popped into the BMW m3 (another similar car) and tried the old swerve down the Monza straight ... and there it was that felt like my car.. and it did. it felt responsive tyres dug and bit like a tyre under load, I could feel the suspension doing its work....and I wont lie it felt like I was driving my car, just a bit more of an expensive version lol.

obviously in both sims and in real life if I kept the throttle and swerving up I would end up in heading the other way. But in RRE its that transition between getting into the slide, and the feeling of that bite. The feeling of the front end on cars and suspension, just isn't felt imo in RRe. Okay setups could help, but it feels to far deep to fix purely by setups.

Look im not here to bash, its purely critism, that I think S3, if they wanted to could sort out and make this shine. You guys know im a backer of RRe..

Last edited:
My ffb effects is left at hundred. Im not sure those are needed over 100 tbh.

What i noticed with steering rack is that it just numbs down the road effects like bumps skid etc. Im sure half of these settings dont need to be there for us. Look at RF2 and GSC, one bloody option! lol

bloody exactomondo james.. Ive looked, i cant make out these codes really..

One way i sorta fixed:-

Put your forces down to 85% (steering force/lateral/vertical), then have a 10-20 % centre force in logitche profiler, thats somehow counter balances the over sway. But i felt that the centre value was killing some nice effects you get on straights and mid corners.. Because now you have the centre value fighting against steering force in your wheel like one big FFB orgy!! lol
I'm Fanatec so things are a little different. We don't have a centre force setting to play with but there is a setting called 'spring' that is sort of the equivalent. Not sure it has any affect on the PC though.

make sure (if you have) let game adjust settings in profiler.

I put all my profiler settings to 0 and just set my lock at 540.

Oh yeah, just try a race with a real low lock, that helps to numb the inputs and so dull down the snap. ive gone as low as 12, beware hairpins prepare for arm twister lol

for you ...............

i tweaked mine .... i know other people aswell who tweaked theres ....

so if they give you less optionsto tweak the ffb , and you dont like what they offer what are you going to do ?

its a balance , and again trying to balance something against something a s indivdual as ffb , not everyone is going to be happy ;

Andi

Agreed, I'd prefer fewer options or at least a better explanation of what the various settings do. I feel like it's already lacking a bit in road effect feel so I'll definitely keep the steering rack at zero then. I'll try cranking down the ffb effects and the vert/lat too, see if that makes a difference. But I generally have found if I turn the FFB effects down the wheel just feels too light all around, and I prefer a bit of a stiff wheel (that's what she said :roflmao:). I do tend to think that the inclusion of too many settings may be contributing to our frustration because we end up setting something at a certain level, not knowing what it does, and it can end up being counterproductive to what we're wanting. I think we need more than one or two settings, but we perhaps have a bit too many in R3E. Well, at least without better explanations of what they do and how they effect each other.

More options is better.

Yes, but there is a point where you can have too many options, especially when you're not sure what any of the options do. If we had 100 options for FFB I'd spend all my time tweaking and no time racing, and generally I buy racing games because I want to spend some time racing. I wasn't suggesting we should only have one or two options, but there's a happy medium between too many and too few, and without better explanations of what all the settings in R3E do it can be a bit overwhelming.

Just turn off everything then turn on what you want to test, to see what it does. Way better than instructions. :)

I think we have the right amount, certainly never thought too many.

I've tried that. For most of the settings I feel very little difference between min and max (except for the ffb strength and effect, and understeer) so it hasn't helped much. It got better, acceptable, but it still isn't right. And quite frankly, I've pretty much run out of patience for tinkering with settings (I must have at least 8-10 hours in just adjusting FFB settings in this game) so I've just settled on something that feels OK and try not to focus on the hovercraft feeling and enjoy the parts that are good.

I wasn't implying that R3E has too many options, just that without clear explanations of what they do (and how they effect each other) it can be a little overwhelming, especially to someone who's knew to the PC-customize-every-little-detail-you-want scene. Ideally the default FFB settings would be pretty good and there would be several available options to customize them for each individual's taste. Unfortunately, with this game the FFB is kinda jacked on the default setting and it takes lots of tinkering just to get it to something acceptable, and that's why we have a 16 page thread discussing the issue.

Analog interpolate return multiplier="4.0" // Interpolate speed multiplier when the wheels are returning towards the center

only part of ini that I can relate to centrering wheel.

Peter instead of disliking my posts, like a child why don't you help me. You don't really reflect S£ interests that well do you>?

james been messing.. find this line in your control set ini..
cand change to this

FFB steer force grip weight="0.5" // Range 0.0 to 1.0, recommended: 0.4 to 0.9. How much weight is given to tire grip when calculating steering force.

It softens the snap I believe. as it takes 100 front wheel grip off the force of the wheel, its in the middle split 50 road 50 grip

well i assume you notice the "always to high thing" , hope you also notice that the file also now has a few extra lines that change how that operates ..... ,good quoting something from 2007 that was subject to older control files .... nice

Andi

hamster

anyway @james brandon
I have theres 2 lines of interest here in the rcs

FFB steer force grip weight="0.5" // Range 0.0 to 1.0, recommended: 0.4 to 0.9. How much weight is given to tire grip when calculating steering force.

FFB steer force exponent="1.0" // Steering force output "sensitivity". Range 0.0 to infinity. 0.0 to 1.0 = higher sensitivity, greater than 1.0 = lower sensitivity.

these two will defo give better feel and less oscillataion

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes