VW Scirocco @ Nurburgring Short/GP - Tue 13th November

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyergtc76.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: GTC76 (VW Scirocco - download or download)
Track: Nurburgring Short / GP

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (11 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 21.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.30 (11 laps)

Note 1: Default Skins that come with the mod only.
Note 2: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby
Note 3: Race 1 - Nurb Short + Group1 Standard car / Race 2 - Nurb GP + Group2 ETCC car

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Stuart Thomson
  2. Knut Omdal Tveito
  3. Tim Ling
  4. Rupe Wilson
  5. Hans Sneep
  6. Carlos Diaz
  7. Jack Smith
  8. Roland Warmenhoven
  9. Jacob Boonstra
  10. Arnaldo da Anunciação Junior
  11. Eck Simpson
  12. Bob Hutchins
  13. Dave Stephenson
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Simon Bacon
Rules:
This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

I don't like quite as much oversteer as Knut, so while I had a tweak in the Mk I as well, it was more a slight adjustment to default behaviour rather than wholesale alterations.

Weirdly though, I also found the Gr2 to feel pretty nice straight out of the box with default setup apart from steering & brakes, which kind of doesn't agree with how different we found the Mk I, but there you go.

OK, anyone wanna tell me what the differences are between the Gr2 car and the Trans Am car? Same weight, HP, top speed, and when you go into the setup, the only difference is that the springs are set stiffer for the default setup in the T/A car. I drove them both and the Gr2 car felt a bit less grippy, but that might be because the springs are set softer on the Gr2 default setup. I will set them both the same and try again. But I did run nearly identical times in both of them.

OK, anyone wanna tell me what the differences are between the Gr2 car and the Trans Am car?

The ReadMe has a clue:
The ReadMe.txt file said:
In 1975 Bill Scott had 2 Scirocco’s built for the Trans Am series. With support from VW they were basically copies of Group-2 cars with different body work
These 2 cars are also here with very slightly different physics from the Div-2 cars and just as fast.

It also says (about the Gr3).
The ReadMe.txt file said:
In 1979 Tom Davey took 2 Div-2 Scirocco chassis built by Muller racing in Germany, installed dry sump supervee engines in them and won the SCCA GT3 championship.
These 2 cars are also here with more power and weight then the other 2.

I may have slightly underplayed how much research I'd done before setting this event - the MkI and the Gr2 are clearly the main classes in the mod, both having loads of vehicles each, with the other 2 just having the pair each, so to make a nice varied looking grid straight away, MkI & Gr2 were the obvious choices. We aren't really "just doing the slower 2". I'm testing the Gr3 against other GTC76 ers where the lack of skin variety will be slightly less obvious in a mixed car field.

Just be aware though, that the Gr2 has both 4 & 5 speed variants in the mod.

1. Look in your main GTL install directory.
2. Find the file LOCAL_IP_LOBBY.txt. Take a copy and Save it away somewhere safe.
3. Open the original up in Notepad
4. Change what is currently in there (most probably gtlsrv.race-game.com) to 81.3.59.61
5. Save the file, leaving it in your main GTL directory
6. Launch GTL and go online as normal (hopefully).
7. If you are me, swear at the GTL game, server and fail screen, do it again 5 times, and then swear again when it suddenly works for no apparent reason.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.