Track Designing Competition

Re-work of the USGP at Indianapolis.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6999281
Most who ever drove this circuit complained of the double hairpin that involved two slow speed long radius turns and provided zero overtaking...just crashing. So, it's gone. The tiny esses section near the return to the oval has been moved to something larger through the golf course.
The pit lane entrance and exit do not change from the current Interior Road Course location.

I have noticed most of you(except Jim and rub) have not put why you have changed a certain part of the circuit- can you please update with why, or I will not consider your entries

I have noticed most of you(except Jim and rub) have not put why you have changed a certain part of the circuit- can you please update with why, or I will not consider your entries
Yeah, sure

• Two long straights replaced with a section consisting of fast corners. Drivers need a proper challenge, they're intended to be driven almost flat out.
  • Going back to the original track at the former turn 6, the old 4-5-6 was a pain in the ass. Keeping T7 and T8 since they had a nice flow, imo
  • Leaving out the 90° right hander, instead straight to the former T11
  • Completely removed old T12-T17. Used the already existing tarmac to go on a fast left hander, leading into a tight right hander. Two mid-speed corners leading in a tight left hander. Back towards the s/f straight, adding a fast chicane at the pit entry.
The last bit I wasn't that sure about. It always felt odd to drive, but the question was whether to redesign it or removing it completely. I certainly would've left out T14-15 if I went for the former option, then probably making T13 wider and connecting it to T16.

Yeah, sure

• Two long straights replaced with a section consisting of fast corners. Drivers need a proper challenge, they're intended to be driven almost flat out.
  • Going back to the original track at the former turn 6, the old 4-5-6 was a pain in the ass. Keeping T7 and T8 since they had a nice flow, imo
  • Leaving out the 90° right hander, instead straight to the former T11
  • Completely removed old T12-T17. Used the already existing tarmac to go on a fast left hander, leading into a tight right hander. Two mid-speed corners leading in a tight left hander. Back towards the s/f straight, adding a fast chicane at the pit entry.
The last bit I wasn't that sure about. It always felt odd to drive, but the question was whether to redesign it or removing it completely. I certainly would've left out T14-15 if I went for the former option, then probably making T13 wider and connecting it to T16.
Thanks- I can now see justification for all your design choices- it also clarified the characteristics of the corners, something that gmap can't always provide if when u are designing the blue line does not always show

I changed the first 2 corners as i just don't like them, i like the elevation change and i think i changed it into something the works better with the change in height. The 3rd corner is different because i wanted to make the section a tad faster, not to much change but enough that it would make a difference. I kept the next part the same as i didn't want to change the best corner(s) on the track. After those i changed the chicane that isn't a chicane to a proper chicane, i don't really like the speed you go through there as it is quite fast and going onto a very long straight. I made the last section tighter and slower, not a big reason behind it i just wanted to make the pit-lane entrance different. I changed that pit-lane cause i like the one at Abu Dhabi and the old one would really fit with the new design.

Ιstanbul Park is generally one of my favourite circuits.

(Corner numbers mentioned are from the current track, not my version)
  • Turn 12 is on its own a great spot for overtaking, because of its big braking zone. The two corners after offer a perfect oppotunity for switchbacks, as Hamilton vs Button in 2010 or Button vs Rosberg in 2011 proves.
  • Turns 3 and 4 are a great combination, as I love that kind of corner. Trail-brake into the long turn 3, then gently on the throttle and braking at the exit of 3 for 4.
  • Turn 8 speaks for itself, a great challenge for drivers.

My entry = the Korean GP circuit
- I shifted the start and pit straight round to add some more interesting racing to the first few corners
- I also tried to shorten the long straight, cos as China shows, long straights don't necessarily mean better racing
- The street section has been shortened a bit to aid overtaking potential (sounds like every change Bernie makes to f1 ever I know, bear with me though :p)
Doing this has made me realise why you guys usually do loads better than me, cos you put some actual consideration into why you're doing things. Again, a nice touch on the challenge setting :D

:)Results are in(close run, all circuits were improved from the originals)
@Jimlaad43 : I liked the incoperation of the old circuit and I feel that the section would be challenging in a modern f1 car. However although I am not a fan of the 2003 version of this circuit, the rauch/würth corners are my favourite on the 2003 course and I feel that the tightening of the hairpin would have been more appropriate on the schlossgold turn, instead of trying to create another overtaking spot at Rauch.
@rubaru I agree with the removal of the double chicane, I do not have much expiriance with this circuit but after looking the lap up the corner looks ugly to drive. But I do feel like their is an overabundance of unessery hairpins/medium speed corners(T4/5 for example)on your circuit, I would have liked to see a few more high speed corners, the variety was mainly good though.
@k_badam : some changes I really liked, some I didn't. I have always thought of turkey as an overrated circuit(no turkey fanboys plz;)) due to honestly a lack of variety in the circuit, don't get me wrong it's still good(T8 in my top 5 corners ever) but I think some tikeadromes did it better. The changes you made did increase variety, the changes in the first turn was one I was looking for, eaither making the first part slower(like u did) or making the first part quicker. I'm not sure what u mean about making t3 quicker as how you changed it seems to make it more lower medium speed like t4- I would have preferred if that had stayed the same or at least change 4/5 as well. The chicane was a good touch yet I kinda feel the last corners would feel a tiny bit awkward to driver, ik what u were doing with the pit but I still feel so
@Manolis Sigoulakis : the changing of the pit lane was a great idea as this would allow overtaking opportunities into the new first main turn. The hairpin would also allow overtaking openertunities on the main streight. I would have liked a slightly more dramatic change in t1 and I didn't lien the new hairpin t7- still a good attempt.
@The_Laskinator : Korea was a circuit I had mixed feelings about so if a couple of changes were made it would become a good circuit. I like the movement of the start line, I agree it would create an interesting run into the chicane that follows. I would have preffered to keep the high speed right as i thought that was one of the best corners on the old circuit, and instead get rid of one of the bends in the next section. The almost Russia like turn on the old long streight was a genius idea, adding variety to the circuit , but I feel the next chicane could have been missed so drivers could possibly overtake into the last turn. I would say your track is my second fav.
And that just leaves @kedy89 : while this track was not perfect it made me want to race it so I knew I found a winner. The changing of turn 1 gave me mixed emotions as it did change the approach to the next corners and would ease overtaking on the main streight but i did like the old t1 as well. The high speed corners following are amazing, it would be a great test, overtaking maybe possible into the old t6. As I mentioned before the keeping of t7/8 was a great idea, this is one of the reasons why I picked your track. The long kinda hairpin that follows is long and seems to tighten, which would be interesting to tackle. The left right corners of 11/12 are great in the way that they set up for what I would call the Malaysian corner of 13/14/15- 15 as I can notice that 14, seems to tighten, creating more variety One small complaint I have is that the last corner could have possibly been a tighter corner to set up overtaking or a faster one to almost connect to the main streight making it longer. Well done everyone, after you took the time to justify your circuits I have spent the last half an hour judging your excellent courses:):mad::geek::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back