The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I'm not a fan of them anyway, but this one looks too short IMO.
There's probably a reason the LMP cars have such long fins.

Reason: Rules. :) They were added to help prevent the yaw conditions that resulted in blowovers, and to disrupt the crude aerofoil shape the cars have when sideways to help prevent said blowovers.

Haha yeah, I actually made mine a fair bit larger than the design i was given. This one seems mostly cosmetic anyway, the massive sails on LMP1s usually are the weight bearing structure of the rear wing too which sort of ensures they are huge.

The fin on the rear bodywork is actually not directly connected to the rear wing; the wing support is just the last few inches of that fin, which is connected to the gearbox or otherwise to the chassis, and not the rear bodywork. The fin itself is the size that it is because the rules say so, mostly. They are typically a big larger than the minimums specified in the rules, but that's mostly for a more continuous shape for aero (and likely aesthetic) reasons. It has zero structural impact to anything.

Reason: Rules. :) They were added to help prevent the yaw conditions that resulted in blowovers, and to disrupt the crude aerofoil shape the cars have when sideways to help prevent said blowovers.

The fin on the rear bodywork is actually not directly connected to the rear wing; the wing support is just the last few inches of that fin, which is connected to the gearbox or otherwise to the chassis, and not the rear bodywork. The fin itself is the size that it is because the rules say so, mostly. They are typically a big larger than the minimums specified in the rules, but that's mostly for a more continuous shape for aero (and likely aesthetic) reasons. It has zero structural impact to anything.
Yeah, sure the fin itself isn't a structural item, but the LMP cars all have a central wing support pylon which mine does not. Connecting the fin to that makes sense, but as my car doesn't have that I think it might look odd.

Anyway, quite a funny reaction to the fin, I genuinely thought it looked ace :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
If anyone fancies a go themselves, try below :p Fire up old MS paint and lets see some better ideas :)

But as always, it is and will remain an on/off option, so no worries if you just don't like it at all :p
KOJRZqSh.jpg

ekaSLm0h.jpg

The issue might be that the whole part behind the roof intake to the rear wing is incredibly long, at least optically.
Don't know if it really is (relatively) longer than other LMP cars or if it's just the shape of the car.

Fire up old MS paint
You ask for it, you get it. :p

KOJRZqSh.jpg

Maybe the top rear end could be a little sharper, but not as much as in your one.
The length could be longer, I kept it a bit shorter to not cover the rear wing, but show the shape I was going for.
The front of it might even start a tiny bit further back and lower.

The issue might be that the whole part behind the roof intake to the rear wing is incredibly long, at least optically.
Don't know if it really is (relatively) longer than other LMP cars or if it's just the shape of the car.

You ask for it, you get it. :p

View attachment 225612

Maybe the top rear end could be a little sharper, but not as much as in your one.
The length could be longer, I kept it a bit shorter to not cover the rear wing, but show the shape I was going for.
The front of it might even start a tiny bit further back and lower.
Will see what I can do, ive been given a boundary box of where it can and cannot be. mine is actually a little too high, needs to start a little lower and further back as you mentioned. And yeah, its a lot of visual mass with a long fin like, looks a bit ungainly IMO. Maybe I'll have 3 options, off, small one, big one :D

Oh and one other thing, unlike LMP1 cars, the bodywork on mine doesn't go all the way to the rear, it stops around the rear axle. To go that far back it would be floating about the rear crash structure.

RxU9ktsh.jpg
Yeah, that changes things a bit and due to the exhaust probably won't work well if it's that long.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.