The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

So i had ton of hours to spend -....to make a door card panel

nJWoF8F.png
Time well spent i say :D

In the one hour I had to spend last night I made ~1 meter of intake piping and an intercooler.

you just make a whole car in that time? Or is it adapted from some of your other (commercial) projects?
LOL I wish, would be a money making machine to pull that off in 1 hour! of course not, that's what it takes to set up the car for AC including textures and shaders. Using all simple stuff, keeping it as low on resources as possible.
So far we've hit the 50 AI limit, above that the engine starts killing itself as physics go higher than 160% even at 55 AI cars. Running 47-48 cars stays at 80%, still a lot but very much playable.
Not sure if that's related to the CPU, I'm running an old i7 2600K @ 4.2ghz. Anyone with a more powerful CPU wants to give this a shot to test it? send me a pm :cool:

I had a bit of a revelation this morning, regarding track making. For all the tracks I have made, or am working on, at some point I need to join the low poly terrain to the road mesh. This is a really tedious and time consuming job requiring 1000s of tris to be added by hand to create a bridge between the two meshes.

I just found a free script for 3ds max that does this (almost) automatically - I am so happy! :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dsmax/comments/1v52wz/free_clone_of_ant_stitcher_script_50_program/

FIrst pic shows the 'terrain' and a cut out to allow for the road and grass verges.
Tks0l8L.jpg

Second pic shows the two joined together. You can use Soft Selection to dictate how smooth you want the transition.
lOrIRpb.jpg

This is going to be invaluable, especially working on a 26km long track :thumbsup:

I tried that first, but couldn't get it to work for me :(

EDIT - just tried it again, and got it to conform the terrain, but the other script I found actually knits the edges together

Last edited:
Oh boy... I always thought that you want to have a lower-res mesh for drivers to see, but they're actually driving on a higher-res mesh that's invisible to the driver. Now I see that you cut the road shape out of the lower res terrain mesh and stitch in the higher res mesh? So that would mean the driver does see the high-res mesh that they're actually driving on?

That is the low-res road mesh, it still has to be ~0.5-1m edge lengths (along the road, usually only 3-4 edges across it) so that you don't see the corners on it while driving. The terrain is just significantly larger, like 10m edges. High-res road mesh is like 0.2m faces.

Last edited:
That is the low-res road mesh, it still has to be ~0.5-1m edge lengths (along the road, usually only 3-4 edges across it) so that you don't see the corners on it while driving. The terrain is just significantly larger, like 10m edges. High-res road mesh is like 0.2m faces.
Ahhh..Ok. I see what's going on now. Thx.

Haha, I had to try it... Turns out with a bit of momentum I can reach the end, but that air intake does compromise things a bit :D

MYNeY6Lh.jpg
:D I do create colliders with a little creativity regarding structural integrity. Don't want to car in the event of a flip to slide on the flimsy fibreglass scoop, and same with the front splitter.

is that a full render or something composite? Because the reflection are spot on but the shadows aren't.

...that manga girl is a little too "gifted" imo for a serious race livery :roflmao:

is that a full render or something composite? Because the reflection are spot on but the shadows aren't.

...that manga girl is a little too "gifted" imo for a serious race livery :roflmao:
ground shadows or AO shadows?
full render (with a bit photoshopped), that's self shadows that causing it. i did quick renders by using only samples because if i took advanced rendering it'll take long time to render like an hour or more due to how much samples and shadow quality it takes (but the result will be much better). but for quick presentations i guess that's not a big issue :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 379 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.0%