The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I was joking with my friends about making a Brumos Cayman to go with all the other Brumos stuff I've done, but it turns out there actually is one IRL (although apparently it's just a tribute rather than a real Brumos.) So that's a thing I'm doing now.
VBh7Rf0.jpg

c75ebc4d80154b33b1400b82f103c9d4.jpg

After my first few porsche skins i got a message or five saying my skins suck but lol was added to the end so legally i cant be mad. Anyways afterthat i decided to step it up a notch and when i say step it up i mean go crazy and attempt the hardest livery ive ever attempted, the 1996 mobil 1 gt1 livery. This is my 4th attempt but its massively hard doing this in 2d(only have ps elements so no 3d skinning).

Well T1 at Bridgehampton just got less and more interesting at the same time. Less interesting because the car won't catch air anymore but more interesting as there is less camber in the corner. So you can take the crest at the bridge wide open but with less camber in the corner you are more likely to fly off unless you lift.

Soon after I released 1.1 I was sent some lidar data for T1 from 2004. Ever since I have been itching to apply the data and see the difference.
Overall I was off by about a foot in elevation and 1* of camber.

The blue line is the current release. The other is the one based off the lidar. You can see why you won't catch air anymore which is more correct.
T1spline.JPG

Here you can see the camber difference. Blue is old and red is the new.
t1colors.JPG

It's so weird to be playing around in Bridgehampton files after 11 months building RIR.

Tuning the ERS now, as its been pretty rudimentary up to now. Its now based on RPM, and shall effectively 'fill' any gaps in the combustion engine torque curve (blue line).

Pick a torque curve, any torque curve :)

xMzpg4Z.jpg

• It will have 3 modes; the first (orange lines) uses the electric motor only for pulling away and low speed manauvers, and won't really drain the battery, meaning you are relying on the ICE the majority of the time.
  • The second (grey line) makes more use of the E-motor at the low-mid rev range, meaning slower speed corners you get a great boost, and gives more flexibility as to which gears you can effectively use. Peak power is still reliant on the ICE though, and you should be able to keep the battery in check in this mode.
  • The final mode delivers the most overall power, and utilises the E-motor even at high rpms. Again, this implementation smooths out the torque curve and allows for very linear power delivery throughout. This mode will be suited for short races, though will drain the battery if used to excess.

In other news, I have a rear Airbrake working (both with the physics and model), and also will have active cooling intakes at the side, which open and close based on speed and throttle to optimise cooling and minimise drag. They will also act as small airbrakes, though offer minimal benefits in this area. I still have to model these properly, but they should hopefully be cool to watch in replays :)

Also been working on the chassis... Not exactly my forte but certainly a lot of fun. Its at a really good level now, quite predictable (except braking, still some way off there), bit understeery still but has enough power to sort that out. Might need the careful hands of @aphidgod to help give it that bit of polish ;)

Last edited:
Playing around with Lidar for the club track I want to do. Came up with a process that allows me to take an image of the point cloud intensity info (how reflective a surface is) and match it up to the data for a 1:1 match. I had originally attempted to match up google images which proved near impossible to be 100% correct. This way there is no question since the image is the data.

NJMP.JPG

Very nice. I love seeing that kind of "behind the scenes" info along with that attention to detail. Also fun to compare those images with Google maps...
View attachment 158809

Are you planning to do both tracks (Lightning and Thunderbolt), or just the Lightning course?
The data is from 2008 and unfortunately thunderbolt is not paved yet. Luckily lightning was paved first but stuff like the bridge wasn't finished yet.

Lidar data is so freakin cool. I can't imagine what it would be like to have high res LS data.

First build of NJMP Lightning course. This is maybe 1.5 hours to lay this out after I got all the data in blender. No scaling or guesswork. Just line up the spline with the data and set the camber and done.
It is so cool to be able to virtually drive a course you have actually been on. I have to say I understand why people request their local tracks now.

• Deleted member 130869

Depends on what you're trying to do but you can't ever go wrong with Momo Porsche, it's why I've always recreated the 1990-1991 962C livery on all cars.

962 (2).jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea