The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

So, I have been struggling to fill the surrounding landscape on my Feldbergring track. The vast majority of the terrain is filled with trees, and I have tried a few different approaches with flat tree walls, but none of them look particularly good - they just look like what they are; flat walls.

I just made up a small texture (512 x 512) of 6 different pine trees and mapped each tree onto a single triangle. Then I scattered 500 of each onto a fairly large area of terrain, which gave me 3000 trees at the cost of 3000 tris :) And they don't look too bad if you don't look too closely. It might be worth trying X-shaped trees too, but only visible through 180° - that would still only use 6000 tris. And it's a much quicker and easier method of filling the terrain than manually making tree walls.

vXfLP9L.jpg

GYcMH1g.jpg

aumGfzR.jpg

G9Pz8O9.jpg

So, I have been struggling to fill the surrounding landscape on my Feldbergring track. The vast majority of the terrain is filled with trees, and I have tried a few different approaches with flat tree walls, but none of them look particularly good - they just look like what they are; flat walls.

I just made up a small texture (512 x 512) of 6 different pine trees and mapped each tree onto a single triangle. Then I scattered 500 of each onto a fairly large area of terrain, which gave me 3000 trees at the cost of 3000 tris :) And they don't look too bad if you don't look too closely. It might be worth trying X-shaped trees too, but only visible through 180° - that would still only use 6000 tris. And it's a much quicker and easier method of filling the terrain than manually making tree walls.

vXfLP9L.jpg

GYcMH1g.jpg

aumGfzR.jpg

G9Pz8O9.jpg

Looks great ! Oh those rolled hay bales look splendid !!

I'm really enjoying these minimalist (in terms of sponsors) Blancpain testing liveries from the Paul Ricard test. I decided to do the Grasser Racing Huracan also...

Presumably they will add more sponsors before the first race but these will be a good base if they do! :D
Looks really nice! But you forgot at the McLaren the white color inside the mirrors ;)

When you spend all morning on something that you know is there, but will probably get totally overlooked when racing :rolleyes:

NxUMXGs.jpg

I'll park my car there and admire it, lap after lap, even online, I swear!:inlove::D
Also, if that's a pond, I'll try to figure out, how the water mill works!

Having some fun returning to my older skins to improve the quality of several things, its really interesting to look back and see how many more tools we have now and generally how much easier it is to make things like skins.

Found it really satisfying to smooth out the low res seems of the 787b which used a low res AO before the kunos one replaced it.
9a8e0244aad9ecb785860688204286dc.jpg

a588e66225c5aa91ab44c8a0a823d17f.jpg

MK4xO6f.png

That profile never gets old...was inspired by an official archive shot courtesy of Alpina. This is the 5.0 Alpina.

Wheels resized, they were more like 19" :), light strip in front more narrow it was too high, front bumper finalized and added the seals between fender, hood and spoiler, spoiler modified and adjusted, rear light separated (not finished yet), front bumper corrected, platebox moved back and resized, corrected and repositioned exhaust muffler, front wheel well corrected and smoothed our front and rear (some material issue there, looking into that). The wheel downsizing did wonders to make it look right.

Last edited:
I'll force everyone to drive it in the Transit in VR - You see everything, usually to the track makers detriment :D
I can't be the only VR user who always does a couple of laps using the elevated chase cam, can I? Apart from getting a better appreciation for the modder's work it's a bit of a trip feeling like you're riding on a drone. It's also good fun trying to resist the urge to duck when going through bridges and gantries. :p

Last edited:
Yep just double checked anyway. The #58 has white in the mirrors, the #188 blue. Not even sure if I will release these anyway. Might wait until after the 1st round and see what additional sponsors they've added.

Think I need a break from skinning for a few days (at least). I've been at it pretty solid since I started in January :laugh: Unless something comes along that gets me interested again that is ;)

I can't be the only VR user who always does a couple of laps using the elevated chase cam, can I? Apart from getting a better appreciation for the modder's work it's a bit of a trip feeling like you're riding on a drone. It's also good fun trying to resist the urge to duck when going through bridges and gantries. :p

I think you might be the only one :D Any non-cockpit cam in VR makes me fairly nauseous, I tend not to mess about with cameras unless I have to!

Question about creating the AO texture. I use Xnormals to create a 4k 32bit hdr image then I bring it into Photoshop for final adjustments and creation of dds file. To me, if I follow the Kunos standards of the dds, mine usually look a bit more grainy in the seams and dark areas. I do reduce the 32bit to 16bit when I'm ready to create the dds. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 41 27.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 30 19.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 27 17.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 9 5.9%