The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Think I need a break from skinning for a few days (at least). I've been at it pretty solid since I started in January :laugh: Unless something comes along that gets me interested again that is ;)

More than a well deserved break I'd say :) But if you are looking for inspiration... "Grello" just got a little, green brother for the first VLN race 2018 ;)

29060078_1820794914621412_5105829958221122926_o.jpg

28619112_1820794924621411_5972832213918222848_o.jpg

More than a well deserved break I'd say :) But if you are looking for inspiration... "Grello" just got a little, green brother for the first VLN race 2018 ;)

29060078_1820794914621412_5105829958221122926_o.jpg

28619112_1820794924621411_5972832213918222848_o.jpg
Haha yes I should certainly be able to do these 2 and was planning on completing the 'grello set' once they showed the VLN livery for this year. Thankfully, the green one just looks like it's the colours swapped over - doesn't look like the arrows have changed at all.
Obviously a lot more sponsors logos but I already have the files for most of them, I'll just need to make/get door numbers, although they've put a sponsor on the vents so that will be a bit of a pain. However, at least they are running the fog/endurance lights on these ones so I won't have to miss any sponsors out! :D

I'll need to learn more (my knowledge is zero) about VLN - I'm following a few new (to me) series this year (IMSA, Blancpain, Intercontinental GT Challenge) so could add VLN to that list :)

So I made an LOD3 mesh for the AE86 today:D
Only one small problem, the texture I applied to it's material isn't showing up :/
__custom_showroom_1521805110.png

Might be worth pointing out I'm using a separate material/texture used only by the LOD3

Doesn't Lods use textures of main Lod ?

I'm not exactly familiar wuth this, but you can have an extra material in particular Lod and still use materials from main LOD ?
In essence a LOD_B, _C and so on is just another standalone car, it can have all sorts of unique materials, but to be able to safe it as intended (low size without textures) it needs to use only textures already in the main LOD_A

In essence a LOD_B, _C and so on is just another standalone car, it can have all sorts of unique materials, but to be able to safe it as intended (low size without textures) it needs to use only textures already in the main LOD_A
Thanks for pointing that out, just did a test and indeed looks like textures used need to be in LOD0 as well

Thats the reason why Kunos LODs takes not much more than 1Mb. Lods is totally different branch of art :D I have reshaped my XJ13 quite a bit, but I think I will be able to get away with old LODs, just will have to resave them as I have modified shaders.

When doing LODs, in order to keep shader settings exact between them, i always just rename all instances of my LOD A persistence file with the other 3 respective LODs.
This means when it boots in the editor, all settings all match the LOD A already, no need to go and set everything by hand.

Thats the reason why Kunos LODs takes not much more than 1Mb. Lods is totally different branch of art :D I have reshaped my XJ13 quite a bit, but I think I will be able to get away with old LODs, just will have to resave them as I have modified shaders.
Biggest part of it is just deleting all the stuff from under the hood and in the interior. I only do some loop deletion of the main body as it tends to mess up the UV, but stuff like the cages or the steering wheel can be reduced with automated methods.

I do just copy the persistence file initially, but do change the Shaders sometimes, like imo alpha blend isn't needed on a LOD_C, or in general interior Shaders.
And all of this I would only start once the main car is release finished. Its a hassle to upgrade all LODs later (curse you 996...)

When doing LODs, in order to keep shader settings exact between them, i always just rename all instances of my LOD A persistence file with the other 3 respective LODs.
This means when it boots in the editor, all settings all match the LOD A already, no need to go and set everything by hand.

Yes thats what most do I believe. I always have an issue, when I copy persistance files, and then open in editor, I have to rassign things like renderable true/false, transparent true/false.... annoying :D

Yes thats what most do I believe. I always have an issue, when I copy persistance files, and then open in editor, I have to rassign things like renderable true/false, transparent true/false.... annoying :D
Yeah I assumed most do the same, but given how many mods have differing values on shaders between mods I guess its not always the case.

When does the game actually use that LOD? seems like you would be able to notice if you looked close.
You can choose with lods.ini, set how many levels you want and how close they appear. Typically the LOD D comes in at maybe 200m, so when it takes up but a few pixels anyway.

So long as its a box that represents the livery, its all you really need tbh.

Use CM to check out some Kunos LOD D's - some are pretty comical tbh :D I like how the Lotus 25 is just a green cigar, and the Ferrari 312 67... looks like someone just set a 1m threshold and welded all the vertices up :roflmao:

Last edited:
Just me or the models used for that are way off the real gt3r 2018

guess those are 911 GT3 RS MRs, Manthey Racing made, not true GT3Rs

Yeah looks like Manthey have developed a new front end for the GT3R this year - there's large dive planes and the bonnet vents are different - same as seen at the Blancpain Paul Ricard test. All the GT3R teams seemed to be running it at Paul Ricard. Not sure if anything else is new but the nose is most obvious to me.

guess those are 911 GT3 RS MRs, Manthey Racing made, not true GT3Rs
manthey only created a "MR" version of the GT4 car first by selective breeding a 911 and cayman together and then the dedicated car which is for a single car cup.

Either way the dimensions seem very weird, even the frankensteined version in AMS is closer.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back