The Off-Topic Thread

KS95

RACER Moderator
Just to avoid spamming threads, how about an off-topic thread.. basically to ask stuff and talk about stuff that doesn't need it's own thread or isn't very relative.

I'll start lol. Is anyone else having problems downloading from tracciontrasera? I just get redirected to the homepage every time :(

Err x 2 .. (I like contrasts..)

1112235506_4504d05948.jpg

Not sure where I should post this, so I post it here. Found a presentation of an unfinished
SIM called SIMAX.. and wow.. the physics is absolutely amazing.. and it has traffic..

Watch video here:

and one more.. just the landscapes..

What's this thread?

Anyways, just wanted to say it's amazing how much electrical problems you can have in a tiny MK2 VW Polo... Spent my whole sunday fixing the damn thing and it still needs some work... I've had many French cars and gotta say their electrics make way more sense than this little bastard's...

Well the good thing is it's not my car.. I'll much rather stick to my reliable Xantia.

"Just to avoid spamming threads, how about an off-topic thread.. basically to ask stuff and talk about stuff that doesn't need it's own thread or isn't very relative."

That's the best explanation I can give, lol.

Speaking of VW, I was in the new Golf R today. That DSG gearbox is bloody impressive! When you change gear, even with the pedal to the floor, you barely feel the gear change, you don't get thrown forward or anything. Really top notch car lol. And it's a weird sounding I4.. really.. erm.. German lol.

Thanks for the support, and like I say everyone loves their parents. I am glad that I am here....out foxed the Reaper....now I'll wait for the Don't fear the Reaper jokes.....hmmm....still waiting...lol!

Without my kiss axe ride, I didn't have Subway like some rich folks.... :) but I did eat good. I also rode my mountain bike to the store and got some ice cream. It was hot here....so I had to chill. Tomorrow i'll take a jaunt to my mechanic, get the skinny on the deets, then hit the bricks to work-slave for 8-10hrs, then jaunt home....and you guessed it play Racer, and feel accomplished. :)

"Just to avoid spamming threads, how about an off-topic thread.. basically to ask stuff and talk about stuff that doesn't need it's own thread or isn't very relative."

That's the best explanation I can give, lol.

Speaking of VW, I was in the new Golf R today. That DSG gearbox is bloody impressive! When you change gear, even with the pedal to the floor, you barely feel the gear change, you don't get thrown forward or anything. Really top notch car lol. And it's a weird sounding I4.. really.. erm.. German lol.
Well I was yet again stuck in a Ranger. it was a 4.0l 4x4 automatic (darn it!) wasn't bad, other than gas mileage. But I don't like that automatic, shifts like its a manual, and seems a little slow like I floored it to get on a freeway shifted down one gear then a couple seconds later shifted down again. then shifted back up. lol

Haha, yeah, I've been in automatics like that before and they drive me crazy. I remember knowing a guy who had a BMW 3 series and even was like that at sometimes.

VW's new DSG gearbox is nothing like that. It has different modes, like sport.. eco.. etc, and you can set it to be fully automatic, paddle shift or shift with the gear stick (up/down). In auto it reminds me of the Nissan GTR's gearbox, if you drive like a Sunday driver you'll end up in 6th gear at 30-odd mph. Then when you floor it, it instantly drops down to 2nd and you're away!

I never thought I'd get so impressed with a semi-automatic Golf. xD

Impressive but ultimately boring.

Great for wafting along, or a GT car, but I couldn't live without a clutch and the flexibility it brings, nor the tactility of a gear selector that can move from 6th to 2nd in a quick process.

Personally I prefer good old automatics for being a really good automatic, or a good manual for a good manual.

I think DSG will be a bad thing in 5yrs when they all start to break and need reconditioning etc, seen as the expensive option vs reliable simple manuals.

They are really only so popular right now in Europe due to the CO2 regulations/test criteria allowing them to run very long gears and score lower CO2 ratings than their manual counterparts which are forced to run shorter gears (because they are manual gearboxes)...

If suddenly manuals could run the ratio the DSG were allowed to, then there would be parity and no advantage to a DSG with regards to tax which is in the UK at least, heavily influential for business users and company car taxes!

Dave

Impressive but ultimately boring.

Great for wafting along, or a GT car, but I couldn't live without a clutch and the flexibility it brings, nor the tactility of a gear selector that can move from 6th to 2nd in a quick process.

Personally I prefer good old automatics for being a really good automatic, or a good manual for a good manual.

I think DSG will be a bad thing in 5yrs when they all start to break and need reconditioning etc, seen as the expensive option vs reliable simple manuals.

They are really only so popular right now in Europe due to the CO2 regulations/test criteria allowing them to run very long gears and score lower CO2 ratings than their manual counterparts which are forced to run shorter gears (because they are manual gearboxes)...

If suddenly manuals could run the ratio the DSG were allowed to, then there would be parity and no advantage to a DSG with regards to tax which is in the UK at least, heavily influential for business users and company car taxes!

Dave

I see what you mean, I would rather a manual than a DSG, but the DSG is ultimately "better" at this current time. It's definitely faster anyway.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back