The Off-Topic Thread

KS95

RACER Moderator
Just to avoid spamming threads, how about an off-topic thread.. basically to ask stuff and talk about stuff that doesn't need it's own thread or isn't very relative.

I'll start lol. Is anyone else having problems downloading from tracciontrasera? I just get redirected to the homepage every time :(

I get nice ads on here, for new cars I can't afford :p (2013 Z4) and nice sim hardware I can't afford. (all of it)
I'd rather that then the CAT work boots ad I keep on getting lol

I haven't noticed any skim links, and i disabled my adblocker for this site because I realize that they need to make money in order to run the site. I did have the adblocker running for this site, but then I had a change in faith realizing that it costs a good chunk of change to run a website of any kind.

The end result is just a torque at a flywheel for given throttle inputs... so we can already do all that in Racer for where it matters :)

Any other characteristics that matter can probably be coded quite elegantly via Onyx or whatever else... though obviously they'd need finishing somewhat before you could use them reliably.

Dave

The end result is just a torque at a flywheel for given throttle inputs... so we can already do all that in Racer for where it matters:)

Dave
Just noticed this and thought for minute. Racer does have torque at the flywheel for given throttle inputs but theres no real torque going to the wheels with no throttle. Like in a real car if you slip the clutch with no throttle the vehicle will move, but in Racer it just stalls out without moving.

Also just wanted to say ive been under the weather for the past couple days, stuck in bed, it sucks.

Racer clutch does work right here.

Maybe you have some wrong values but I can slip the clutch on my Z4 in Racer at idle and get moving along nicely.

There is some throttle at idle if you check the debug output screens too.

What is missing from Racer (which you might be able to add via script) is the pulsing of torque due to the actual piston config etc.

In many cars you can feel the difference between flat plane V8 vs a smooth V12 or whatever, especially at lower rpm's... V12 is very 'creamy' feeling vs say a 4 cylinder at 900rpm hehe :D

Dave

Racer clutch does work right here.

Maybe you have some wrong values but I can slip the clutch on my Z4 in Racer at idle and get moving along nicely.

There is some throttle at idle if you check the debug output screens too.

What is missing from Racer (which you might be able to add via script) is the pulsing of torque due to the actual piston config etc.

In many cars you can feel the difference between flat plane V8 vs a smooth V12 or whatever, especially at lower rpm's... V12 is very 'creamy' feeling vs say a 4 cylinder at 900rpm hehe :D

Dave
The clutch is near perfect to me. But you might be right on me having the wrong settings.

You can do pulsing already but i find it doesnt work well. Like i made a flathead Ford V8 but to get any shake i had to set it up as a 4 cylinder.

There are settings in the engine section with respect to idle/stall rpm that'll bring up the throttle at below-idle:
engine.idle_method=1
^ the main thing to enable it - it'll increase throttle as rpms go below idle, so as long as you're relatively smooth on the clutch it'll have time to react.
engine.idle_throttle=0.02
^ this sets the minimum throttle overall - so instead of 0 to 1, pedal would go from 0.02 to 1.

The old version (idle_method=0) would pick the amount of throttle for you and I think leave it at that at all rpms.

If the gap between idle and stall rpm is too narrow, or the clutch is too strong (meaning it lets in more quickly) then I found it's a lot easier to stall regardless of these settings.

The clutch is near perfect to me. But you might be right on me having the wrong settings.

You can do pulsing already but i find it doesnt work well. Like i made a flathead Ford V8 but to get any shake i had to set it up as a 4 cylinder.

I think the pulsing is just an effect though, what the engine actually sends down to the gearbox/wheels is still a smooth output.

I'd like to see the drivetrain have a springing system, so we can also get a proper 'jitter' effects caused by real driveline wind-up!

Dave

Merry Christmas guys, have a good one :) Don't forgot to put snow=1 into Racer ;)
You too Scott. Me and 3 of my cousins went go-karting Monday to a place called JD Racing. They do indoor electric kart racing. Can I just say, most fun I've had in a while, after the 1st race I was so ready to do more and we had paid for 3 races. I'm ready to go back, and heres the two pictures I took lol.
IMG_20131223_165152_937_zps45b405ea.jpg

I'm the one highlighted in red, awesome name right? My cousin thought his was Senna, unfortunately it wasn't.
IMG_20131223_182401_112_zpsa352835b.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back