Super Touring 98 Mod

Progress has been slow since friday.The reason is that a problem has occured with the peugeot 405 and particularly the vauxhall cavalier/opel vectra gt.The cars that use 8-spoke rims for some reason cause the game to crash a few seconds after a race start.When i use the cavalier there are no problems.I cannot understand why this is happening.Some skinpacks that include the cavalier with 8-spokes are not affected(spanish championship/australian).I hope i have given a good description of the issue.I have checked the .cas files and everything seems to be okay.The funny thing is that the issue started overtime not when i first installed the skinpacks.I have tried re-installing the super touring mod but nothing changes.I cannot continue making cars unless this issue is solved as it affects most of the skinpacks:(:unsure:

My guess is some clash with the wheel files, they use 3 DDS files to animate speed so because it's not crashing immediately or on loading it sounds like as the game loads the 2nd or 3rd DDS as speed builds there is something missing or clashing

The problem doesn't occur in the seasons mod, so it's hard for me to test. I agree with simon, it sounds like the game can't load one of the 'spinning' textures, and that will result in ctd. There are several materials in the wheels. The question is if the problem is in the Wheel or the lid part. If you disable the lids parts in the .cas files, does the problem remain?

my theory was that there are too many locations to load textures from, maybe some of them contain duplicates, or maybe just the sheer number of searchpaths, each containing lots of different textures, overloads the game engine. I might add that to me it looked as though the lights were the culprit, not the wheels - and lights incidentally also have animated material.

Will have a look and hopefully find the solution otherwise i will continue making cars on gtr2.I'm also working on the 1993 macau team schnitzer cars and will release them soon.Its only 3 cars so i don't know if i will have them in their own class.

Does the game crash when racing in rain? No spinning textures are used in rain, so that might give a clue what the problem is. Sometimes when making cars the spinning animation in the materials didn't work, then the game crashed.

there are 8spokeWHEEL*.dds textures both in "Super Touring Seasons\VauxhallTeams" and "Super Touring Seasons\VauxhallTeams\0 Cavalier I". which one is used and why are they different?

Tried twice to start a race in the wet with the french cars first with an alfa and then with the pug and on both occasions i got a ctd when the session was initializing

The game only loads the first file found. So if there are two files with the same name, it only loads the one in the first loading path. The wheel textures have different colours, and the paths are a way to add the same textures to several drivers instead of adding the same file by race number. So instead of adding 594000_8spokeWHEEL00.dds 594000_8spokeWHEEL01.dds 594000_8spokeWHEEL02.dds and so on for all the cars using the same rim colour, I just make the game look in the right path before the main path for all the cars with the same colour.

No, just explaining why there are extra folders like '\VauxhallTeams\0 Cavalier I' :)
The whole ctd problem is strange. Maybe you should try Nebehrs teory by removeing some load paths in the .cas file? You can deactivate them one by one by adding '//' at the beginning of the row and see which ones are needed.

Not removing. I managed to get rid of the crashes by *moving* some of the textures for animated materials from one folder to another. I don't believe it is a thorough fix, but it did the trick for now.

I repeat the message with my old account

Not authorized to use my 3D Model of Ford Sierra

Are using unauthorized modification of my work.

Jose Guerra-Guerra8888

MW003.jpg
MW003.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering