Steam only Release for AC

This is not an indie game, and nor should it be.
Unfortunately at the moment there is no other simulator with that much potential on the horizon so simracing need this game to succeed not only among our selves but also with wider audience. This would hopefully make it possible for simracing to grow into a bigger sport.

Well, it's established now. It all has come too light. I suddenly see what Shadow Explorer, Mr. Whippy, Chronus, zombieshark66666 and Lee Knight mean. Let me explain myself.

Looking back at it now, it obviously was a masterstroke by prodigy game developper Casillo when he released this little and unknown software gem called 'netKar Namie' for free to everyone around 2003. Of course, back then he already had the grand scheme in mind to entice us all 10 years later to the devils hands that are called 'Sinistrum Tremens Expatrium Ummobile Machinum'.

Thinking back of that time, I clearly had no idea back then when I started playing this amazing piece of free software. I had no clue that I was now already lured into the darkness of indiesimgameness. What an amazing feeling to drive that F3000 through the streets of Monaco (a nice add on track by Jaap Wagenvoort).

With the release of netKar Pro, he devilishly took his scheme one step further. Already in his mind to make a sim with hints of superb physics, but with lack of multiplayer and little content and no real tracks. Of course, it's DRM was almost neglible, and everybody could just play it for free. The driving was amazing, but there was something lacking..

Flashforward to 2011, Assetto Corsa is announced, filling all the blanks of their previous titles, more cars, more tracks, more developpers, better sound, laser scanned tracks, real cars, AI, offline content. With his previous titles in mind, the most we expected was that we would have to pay 25 euro's and receive life long updates for free. I mean, come on, netkar namie was for free, netkar Pro was so hackable everybody basically played it for free. Boy oh boy, those Italians are some sinister dudes, managing these expectations like wizardly manipulators. Evilness to the bone.

When 'Sinistrum Tremens Expatrium Ummobile Machinum' came round, we hesitantly gave our support, but eventually, Kunos and co put their cards on the table. No love, no compassion, no interest in the community, solely pecunia's. Euro's, dollars, Italian Lire's.

A magnum opum I would say. Machiavelli himself would be proud.

Read the part about the costs and support again as I did give two valid reasons why a developer prefers Steam over a normal digital download distribution.

Adding to it that selfpublishing will cost even more because of bandwith, websecurity etc.

i dont need reasons to tell me developer prefer steam because of finantial reasons ... we all know that ... its a fact and im not constesting that ... once again ... im not discussing between steam and non-steam advantages ... im discussing why not non-steam version complementing a steam version ... how hard is this to understand?:)

but finally you came up with 2 valid reasons to not add a non-steam to a steam version (bandwith and websecurity) ... they already have it for nKP so i dont think it will be a big deal ... but still those can be reasons.
Another thing that confuses me is why are you Steam people objecting/against a non-steam version? what harm can that do to you? you already have your steam version so i dont understand why all this "war" ,,, we the non-steam people voted for steam in benefict of others so why dont you just support us and do the same. In a community people should support each other so everyone could beneffict.

pretty much...

look when someone makes a choice to do something like this,he is not forced to do it.
A lot of poeple are doing this,very little have enjoyed the same success as kunos has so far.

So saying themselves how small team they are,it is ungrateful and everything they have achieved. Especially to this community that supports them no matter what.

The used every opportunity to benefit from monetizing (TD) or using the good will (STEAM) of people in order to help progress their plans

and in return there is nothing.
you have to wait (near holiday season,because mid summer release for the people who waiting so long is so wrong,you don't make enough money)
and pay more (DLC)

and there is not option if you don't like steam.

This is how they thank you for the support.
Otherwise they would care to provide alternatives.so everyone has an option.

On the other hand as long as the community is willing to suck everything,why would they stop doing this?
It plays very nice for them actually.

Maybe I'm an alien,Idk I would never do what they did and I hate those tactics with all my heart.

Unless you have been in their shoes, you cannot possibly know what success or challenges they have met or are now dealing with or will in the future.

I have a small business and many people believe that I must be very wealthy but, in reality - we don't live any different than they do. Many of them have better health plans, retirement, vacations and other benefits than I do. I have to sacrifice much of my family and personal time to make sure my customers are happy or I don't get paid. I struggle to pay the bills every month like so many of them. I do it because I love my job and the independence that comes from owning my own business. From a purely financial standpoint, I would be judged a complete idiot by most people. It really is a slap in the face when people assume that I must be wealthy and maybe even greedy. They really have no clue at all what it really is about. Just because a business can survive does not mean it is thriving. In this economy, many are just surviving - and barely at that.

Consider how small the Race Sim market is and how hard it has to be to survive as a small business today - ridiculously bad odds by any investment standard. The fact that Kunos or any small studio even attempt to produce a product (such as a true race SIM) that would be determined to be a non-starter by any publisher seeking to make a profit, should be a clue as to the determination and passion required here.

The pessimistic will always say it is Greed that drives businesses to do it this or that way. They must have their million-dollar cars, yachts, lavish vacations, etc. In some cases, yes but, in most - it is simply people trying to make a living doing something they are passionate about and trying to find some sense of purpose and meaning in their lives. It is so easy for observers to judge and criticize the doers yet, they do so having never even attempted to walk in the doer's shoes. Is it greed, survival, or passion that drives these new business models?

If it was easy - everyone would be doing it. It's not easy, anyone that owns a business can tell you that. It takes blood, sweat and tears to make these things happen and when you see businesses making these kind of choices, think about what goes into making it all work. I have a certain amount of respect for anyone that is enough of a doer to make a business that can even survive today - let alone thrive. If Steam allows Kunos to do that - then so be it. We get what may very well be our Dream-Sim and they may actually turn a profit. Then again, they may be financially better off working at Wal-Mart greeting customers.

In the end, it is a gamble for any business but, at least they try and don't just complain about the big bad monsters that are ruining the world. Yes, there are some bad people in this world but, most of us are not so different from one another. We know that we must provide a service in order to make a honest living. For those that can do that and are lucky enough to fulfill a passion at the same time - more power to them. If they do it well, they deserve to be rewarded. If they suck at it, they will ultimately fail. If you can do it better - do it.

Doing takes effort. Complaining is easy - anyone can do that. To sit in judgement should be an earned position. How many here can say that they have run a business, let alone a Racing Sim development business in this economy?

Sorry for the long post but, reading it is optional. :)

i dont need reasons to tell me developer prefer steam because of finantial reasons ... we all know that ... its a fact and im not constesting that ... once again ... im not discussing between steam and non-steam advantages ... im discussing why not non-steam version complementing a steam version ... how hard is this to understand?:)

but finally you came up with 2 valid reasons to not add a non-steam to a steam version (bandwith and websecurity) ... they already have it for nKP so i dont think it will be a big deal ... but still those can be reasons.

Another thing that confuses me is why are you Steam people objecting/against a non-steam version? what harm can that do to you? you already have your steam version so i dont understand why all this "war" ,,, we the non-steam people voted for steam in benefict of others so why dont you just support us and do the same. In a community people should support each other so everyone could beneffict.

Because they will have to create a DRM, servers for you to play and many other things that steam does so much better. Can you please stop crying now ? People have explained this already you time and time again, stop complaining about it.

Because they will have to create a DRM, servers for you to play and many other things that steam does so much better. Can you please stop crying now ?

is that for me? you are wrong ... they dont have to create servers for anyone to play ... and i will cry as much as i want :) ...

they will not have to implement nothing they hhad not already in nKP ... it will have extra cost and extra work? yes ... but i dont think it will be such a big deal ... but i can be wrong

awful, this is absolutely awful. Watch this game get pirated now by those who wanted a non-steam game. Kunos are loosing it.
The game would get pirated anyway, but all the fun is in MP, sooner or later those with a cracked version will buy it to play online. Even those who hate Steam.

"Those who wanted the non-steam version" are 2-3 guys here complaining again and again about it, the other 99.99999999% doesn't give a damn about it.

This is the same as GRID 2, EVERYBODY complained online about no cockpit cam, turns out those "everybody" make up for 5% of the players.

Jorge Alves

Have you got any idea how much online customer support costs in terms of manhours and wages?

Kunos can now already in the pre-release hardly answer all the questions potential customers have. How do you think that would be with their own online distribution like with NKP?

Some people:
  1. Do not read instructions.
  2. Immediately complain that something is broken while their install or configuration is wrong.
  3. Spam you with support emails/questions that have been asked a million times and are already covered in FAQ's (see 1.)
  4. Have no clue how to install games, not even with simple click through installers.
  5. See 1.
  6. See 1.
  7. See 1.
  8. See 1.
  9. See 1.
  10. See 1.
Btw I am not defending anything here. If they wish to release the game on DVD's, Floppy-disc's, Memorysticks or in any other way I am fine with that.

The game would get pirated anyway, but all the fun is in MP, sooner or later those with a cracked will buy it to play online.

"Those who wanted the non-steam version" are 2-3 guys here complaining again and again about it, the other 99.99999999% doesn't give a damn about it.

This is the same as GRID 2, EVERYBODY complained online about no cockpit cam, turns out those "everybody" make up for 5% of the players.

Race07 is a steam exlusive and public servers were full of crackers ... so they can go online with crack.

the 2-3 guys complaiining here are just a small part of many more that dont have the will to face agressive commentaries like yours .... so they remain in silence

Some people on here are labouring under some fairly fundamental misunderstandings of how the world works, and after nearly 10 pages this doesn't look likely to change. The fact is AC is Kunos' ball. It's entirely up to them when and how they let people play with it. End of story.

Is there a way to watch the whole forum but deselect certain threads? I'm tired of getting endless notification emails for this nonsense.

Sometimes, a person's need to be right exceeds their need to be loved. Pirates have such need.
The Pirates will always find a reason to rape and pillage - that's what they do. Refer to story of the Scorpion and the Frog. There is no true rationale for what they do other than to say that they are insane or ill. Something made them process life differently and they need to prove it.

Jorge Alves

Have you got any idea how much online customer support costs in terms of manhours and wages?

I have no idea ... and those are good points :thumbsup:

if that is so demanding and it will make live really hard to kunos then im fine with steam-only ... but if we are such a minority and everyone else is going to buy on steam then the customer support work will not be that much ... anyway they have the decision and in the end i will take it:)

:)

I use to own a shop...something like a mini-mini market...hehehe.
The cusomers were all from my village,so i knew 99% of them At the begginings i cant say they were all "friends" but respect was from both sides.Now after 10 years the shop is closed because i,the little fish,got eaten by the big "sharks"...supermarkets...and thats not the bad part.
The bad part is that some people demands many things that i couldnt make possible so in return i recived hate and disrespect....Now some of them are not even say "Hello'",
Anyway not related to our subject and totaly off topic but i saw it as an completition to RaceNut post.

I use to own a shop...something like a mini-mini market...hehehe.
The cusomers were all from my village,so i knew 99% of them At the begginings i cant say they were all "friends" but respect was from both sides.Now after 10 years the shop is closed because i,the little fish,got eaten by the big "sharks"...supermarkets...and thats not the bad part.
The bad part is that some people demands many things that i couldnt make possible so in return i recived hate and disrespect....Now some of them are not even say "Hello'",
Anyway not related to our subject and totaly off topic but i saw it as an completition to RaceNut post.
Yeah, I guess that's life. Some like what we do, some don't, some don't understand it and don't want to. Take the good with the bad and keep trying, inch by inch.

Sorry about your business - that's a brutal type of business but, people are starting to see the benefit to having more personal & better customer service that small shops have to offer even though it may cost a bit more.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 17 12.4%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Friday

Votes: 50 36.5%
  • Saturday

Votes: 81 59.1%