Steam only Release for AC

I'm still looking for the dozens of reasons to not want any part of Steam.

One guy couldn't get GTL to work (bought it last night, took less than 10 minutes to download and less than ten to get controls set up and running smooth) and claims Steam killed his computer. Sorry, but not a valid reason to me, sounds like extreme operator error.
Some don't like having an extra program running in the background; I can understand this but if one little program upsets your computer you might not have the best system for a modern game anyway.
The main complaint I see is that Steam has horrible customer service when you mess things up and need their help. I can fully understand that because I don't know of any good sized company that has good customer support anymore. Thankfully there are many forums around the net, and any problem I have had was fixed after a few minutes with Google.

The decision to go Steam only was a shocker for me as I just assumed that there would be a download from their site in addition to Steam. After a few minutes of reading I can understand the decision if for no other reason that the time it saves them. We all expect delays when it comes to software programming because they are inevitable. It seems that Kunos have been in crunch time for a year now and the holidays are coming up quickly so time is more important than money to them right now.

Maybe someday they will get completely caught up with their projects and decide to dedicate the time and resources for a direct download or maybe even a physical DVD; they will have to decide if the number of purchases will be worth the effort involved.

In a perfect world there would be multiple ways to purchase AC but this is the real world and this is how it is. Either deal with Steam and have a good time playing AC or don't and find another game that meets your requirements.

PS.: anyone thinking that "hey they got all the infrastructure from netkarPRO", do you realize that this game will sell a bit more maybe? Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus, BMW, laserscanned Monza, Silverstone, Imola, Mugello, Vallelunga just to name a few reason the list is a bit longer...

yes ... they will have more work for sure then in nKP and they will also spend more money and time then in nKP ... together with service support and those are good reasons to keep it steam only ....

The thing is it was never said that there would be a netkar like download or on the other hand a Steam only download, they never announced anything on that matter, for good reason as we see now...

Some people here sound like they were promised something which is simply not true :thumbsdown:

actually there was this:

there will be no "internet required" protection on AC. The system is going to be very similar to nkp, actually, a bit simpler ...

this is from a old thread, its not a official announcement, not even close to a promisse but i think everyone was expecting and counting on this... things change, new ideas, new concepts and now Steam is on ... i almost accepted the fact that i will have to reinstall Steam again (i still have a small hope :) ) and i understand the reasons so i dont want to go again on the same discussion ... but i do understand all the people like me that feel dissapointed ... but if decision is made and whining will not change their minds ... lets move on

this is from a old thread, its not a official announcement, not even close to a promisse but i think everyone was expecting and counting on this...

Thanks I forgot about that... but in the end what Stefano wrote was about copy protection for AC and not how AC will be released. But I get that you could read into that there was a netkar like download planned. But again that highlights a problem if the devs are in contact with the community, stuff can be misinterpreted or simply be misunderstood...
Steam was not confirmed back then but Steam has the offline option (if used by AC) so there is no need for a active internet connection, so Stefano's comment is true again ;) .

He also said in that thread if I remember correctly that he wanted to go without any copy protection (because it makes no sense) but the team was against it, so they added some simple stuff. The question was probably if it will be like FVA...That is where that statement came from right?

Thanks I forgot about that... but in the end what Stefano wrote was about AC itself, Steam was not confirmed back then and Steam has the offline option (if used by AC) so there is no need for a active internet connection, so Stefano's comment is true again ;) . But I get that you could read that there was a netkar like download planned but that was probably just the fall back if they didn't get on steam in time/ or ever...

He also said in that thread if I remember correctly that he wanted to go without any copy protection (because it makes no sense) but the team was against it, so they added some simple stuff. That is were that statement came from right?

Yes ... for Stefano everything should be free and simple:)

I think by then he didnt even know there was a such thing called Steam:p ... he made that statement when people start discussion a system similar to iRacing for AC and he just said what i quoted ... basing in everything i read about him in interviews and forums it just didnt match with a Steam only version for AC but ... i guess he also have to adapt to his team and business reality

EDIT: here is the link to the thread ... actually the thread was about piracy and online protection ... and nothing to do with iRacing
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum...racing-require-online-connection.60753/page-2

and the full statement:
there will be no "internet required" protection on AC. The system is going to be very similar to nkp, actually, a bit simpler. Not much time has been invested in making it hacker proof, because it's a loosing battle anyway and I rather spend my time working on something paying user will enjoy than trying to stop a bunch of losers.

Of course it's a gamble, actually I also proposed to release AC drm-free, but the other guys didn't like that. It's time users take responsibilities for their actions.. want race sims? don't skidrow them... if that doesn't work for us, the team will probably scatter around working on other titles that have nothing to do with race sims.

Chronus,

we do obviously retain the right to alter messages as we wish but we are not doing so in every case someone deems a post to be offensive. Often it's a matter of personal taste and / or involvement in something, so that we might make a decision which might not be appealing to you.

It's not "every case someone deems a post to be offensive". Some of the posts in this thread and in the other thread are inexcusable and a direct breach of your ToS.

With this being said we have always (and still do) watched controversial threads closely but we wouldn't want to be a watchdog, with users being afraid of us jumping at them.

Fear of what, Tom? Of being reminded to be civilized, polite, rational? Well, they should.

Do note that some of us believe that this discussion around the "steam choice" can be invaluable to Kunos.

Right now, his/their decision was to go with Steam alone, which is , as I have stated several times, his/their right.

But, if enough people ask (no one is demanding, as some persist in saying) for another type of release -online, via their website or via DVD- maybe Kunos will find that an effort worth doing. There are ways of doing this with the least impact to the company, and it will certainly be a signal to the AC community of how far the developer is willing to go in order to reach all possible fans. [Obviously, should Kunos decide not, we will move on. There are other racing sims out there.]

This useful discussion, however, has been effectively wrecked due to the many personal attacks against anyone not in favour of Steam.

I understand your point, but your value as a moderator / individual far exceeds the danger you fear.

This thread was funny for a few pages but things are getting out of hand, so I decided to send 2 tweets to Stefano asking him for a reason to why he chose Steam only and also about how people seem worried that the game is changing to something "greedy". Let's see if he gives any light about this. :)

Edit: Michael seems to have ninja'd me. :D

images

yes ... they will have more work for sure then in nKP and they will also spend more money and time then in nKP ... together with service support and those are good reasons to keep it steam only ....

actually there was this:

this is from a old thread, its not a official announcement, not even close to a promisse but i think everyone was expecting and counting on this... things change, new ideas, new concepts and now Steam is on ... i almost accepted the fact that i will have to reinstall Steam again (i still have a small hope :) ) and i understand the reasons so i dont want to go again on the same discussion ... but i do understand all the people like me that feel dissapointed ... but if decision is made and whining will not change their minds ... lets move on

This thread was created back then in order to see If i could support AC with my work,since I had the same concerns back then regarding DRM.

Since I was assured that I will not have any issue with accessing my work without needing internet (and thats my only requirement btw), I announced my project for AC. after that you all know what happened.

If the developer himself informs you about something like that,
what should I think? that he is lying and not believe him?
If course this is the case here, but I acted on good faith upon what I've been told by someone who is in position to give an educated answer.

If the developer himself informs you about something like that,
what should I think? that he is lying and not believe him?
If course this is the case here, but I acted on good faith upon what I've been told by someone who is in position to give an educated answer.

I think he didnt lie to you cause im sure those were his plans at that moment ... but things can change and they could not throw away the opportunity to be on Steam

I have the impression he could even not know by then what Steam was ... even if he knew it ... things just flow on this direction and they grab the opportunity ... i think its a very good opportunity for them but making it steam only it will change the plans for modders like you wich is a shame because i was liking a lot your projects ... it will also mess a bit with some people that for different reasons dont like steam

Some valid reasons were already pointed that can explain the why of a steam only version ... i understand them but still i feel myself dissapointed and modders like you that had already a lot of plans can feel it even more

But being negative will not take anywhere ... so man ... just be positive:)
Aris just said that maybe in future they can make a normal downloadable version ... lets take that as a positive sign and hope they really make it (as soon as possible:p ) and that by the time you come out of the army the right tools will be there for your great projects

Well negativity reflects disappointment...
Every time there are news about AC this disappointment only grows bigger and bigger.
there is a thin line between love and hate,it is said

It is true that their intention was not to lie of course, but in the end that answer turned into a lie.

As for steam I can see why devs want to put their work there,while I completely disagree with steam as a DRM platform, I still get it. It is popular and a complete framework.

That doesn't mean it is a valid reason to make it exclusive,
There is also GOG and other alternatives.

If you really care about your community,you provide those options to keep as many as possible happy.

In this case you are forced to either accept steam or be left out.
If that was their plan from the start,I would have no option but to accept it and not bother with the game at all. That would be my problem entirely.

But since the plans changed in the middle of development,I have every right to be negative for all the months I was waiting for something that is completely different from what it was promised to be. So it's no longer only my problem,but dev's problem as well.

Don't forget that the TD has also supposed to test the activation method for AC.
If they can't be clear about their plans from the start, then how they expect everyone to be okay with them every time they change them,to suit ther monetary needs.

After the last delay,there was no announcement or anything,they just disappeared from the forums and started posting screenshots...

Trust and feedback has to work both ways,not only when they need support...

I think he didnt lie to you cause im sure those were his plans at that moment ... but things can change and they could not throw away the opportunity to be on Steam

I have the impression he could even not know by then what Steam was ... even if he knew it ... things just flow on this direction and they grab the opportunity ... i think its a very good opportunity for them but making it steam only it will change the plans for modders like you wich is a shame because i was liking a lot your projects ... it will also mess a bit with some people that for different reasons dont like steam

Some valid reasons were already pointed that can explain the why of a steam only version ... i understand them but still i feel myself dissapointed and modders like you that had already a lot of plans can feel it even more

But being negative will not take anywhere ... so man ... just be positive:)
Aris just said that maybe in future they can make a normal downloadable version ... lets take that as a positive sign and hope they really make it (as soon as possible:p ) and that by the time you come out of the army the right tools will be there for your great projects

Regarding my work there is still the possibility to be in AC I'm not working alone,so if my friends decide that it is good for them, I will have to pass. Because they have helped me so much and they deserve to be happy.

If I had to choose,I would never touch it unless the team shows some signs of good will.

Of course my critique is obviously bitter,however it is based on decisions and situations I find wrong,or disagree with.so I hoped as harsh as it is to be proved useful.

Well ... what can i say? in some points a agree with you but on others i think you are bit too much radical:mad: ... everyone have the right to be negative when they feel dissapointed but that will not make you any good ... not to your health and not to the mods we are waitting:p ... im not contesting your reasons and i like to see people speaking their minds like you are doing (except from the lie part wich i really think its very unfair).

Well ... just hope you find a good way to deal with this :)

It was a long day/night here:coffee: ... time to sleep!

Race07 is a steam exclusive and public servers were full of crackers ... so they can go online with crack.

the 2-3 guys complaining here are just a small part of many more that dont have the will to face agressive commentaries like yours .... so they remain in silence

Yep (on both accounts).

Honestly, I find amazing for how long this thread went on (and how bad it went on), page after page, focused on retorted posts and arguments around "Steam VERSUS Non-Steam" for the game title, when it could (should, IMO) have been a positive and healthy discussion about "Steam AND Non-Steam" versions for the game title. :)

Regarding the "non-Steam" and DRM-free versions (which I believe have also been discarded, unfortunately) it's not that hard to envision easy and valid alternatives for it.
Here's one.............. www.gog.com

Like others, I also voted on Green Light for the Steam version, even if I have no interest whatsoever on it (quite on the contrary), thinking that there would always (also) be an alternative.
And like others, I too deeply regret it now.
True that we don't know at this point if there will or not be any "non-Steam" versions of the game in the future, but the main point (at this moment) is that there won't be an alternative to Steam at release. Doesn't matter where you stand, like it or dislike it, that's how it is.

Releasing a game on Steam is way easier than maintaining it through a normal digital release. Let alone the additional costs for more ways of releasing it. The additional costs might even be higher than what they can make from that due to people usually crying about how they can't play the game because of Steam etc. but buying it on Steam nonetheless.

Tom

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea