Steam only Release for AC

Greedy? How so?
I don't know, it's just how some posts made it sound like Kunos is trying their best to max its profits at the cost of the users, or something like that.

But you know, after taking the time to give a good look at how things have been going for Kunos and AC in the last few months I can understand how this whole thing may seem like a kick on the users' balls, Hell, I myself was in the sideline of AC things lately because I was bored by the endless wait and lack of precise info about some stuff. Though what actually puts me off is the very high price because the euro is sky rocketing here. Steam doesn't really phase me as I'm already deep into it anyway.

What actually worries me is the lack of precise info about some stuff, like what exactly the 1.0 will be like. As some pointed out, things keep changing, so I'm not exactly sure what will be in the game at launch and what will not be there anymore. One thing in particular that makes me have some doubts is that pretty much the only places you will ever hear about AC are in these small sim racing sites, if you go to any other place that has anything to do with games, people may know about pCARS but never have heard anything about AC at all, and since Stefano said that AC needs to sell a lot to break even, I wonder how this will end up for them.

And boxed copy is to expensive for them probably. (Press DVD, Print the package, Ship it, get it in stores...)

plus calculating how many boxes should be produced. anyone ever thought about this point?? although netkar pro is my favorite simulator and also the FVA was a nice addition, everybody should agree when i say that AC is kunos first BIG title. they have absolutely no data that would help them calculating a number for the dvd-production. so they would have 3 options:

1) nail the exact demand of us simracers and sell as many copies as are demanded -> completely unrealistic scenario
2) underestimate the demand of us simracers -> stores would be empty, people would be angry
3) overestimate the demand of us simracers -> hugh number of copies would not be bought but collecting dust and creating additional costs

edit: deescalation-mode ON

... puuuh, looks like a big dilemma ... if only there would be an easy way to solve all this... OH WAIT!! we have steam.. naaaaaah, i hate steam, steam is evil, steam destroys my computer, steam destroys my life, steam is public enemy no. 1 :(

And right when the thread has chilled a bit,,,,,,
Its their personal opinion and view over Steam and i got that but it seems like not everyone got it...or is the "game" on this thread that makes people refuelling.:(
If you just stoped before the last remark,it would of been a nice post.

Would be no different with a digital release without Steam. You would have to download it as well.

And boxed copy is to expensive for them probably. (Press DVD, Print the package, Ship it, get it in stores...)

True, but at some point the dl would finish and one could play, but I'm just wondering what the cause of these Steam issues are as it's one of the most reliable software from my POV.

and i didn't stop, so i guess this makes it an evil post.. so what.. when people can have their personal view over steam, i can also have my personal view over people who have their personal view over steam, right?

I don't know, it's just how some posts made it sound like Kunos is trying their best to max its profits at the cost of the users, or something like that.

But you know, after taking the time to give a good look at how things have been going for Kunos and AC in the last few months I can understand how this whole thing may seem like a kick on the users' balls, Hell, I myself was in the sideline of AC things lately because I was bored by the endless wait and lack of precise info about some stuff. Though what actually puts me off is the very high price because the euro is sky rocketing here. Steam doesn't really phase me as I'm already deep into it anyway.

What actually worries me is the lack of precise info about some stuff, like what exactly the 1.0 will be like. As some pointed out, things keep changing, so I'm not exactly sure what will be in the game at launch and what will not be there anymore. One thing in particular that makes me have some doubts is that pretty much the only places you will ever hear about AC are in these small sim racing sites, if you go to any other place that has anything to do with games, people may know about pCARS but never have heard anything about AC at all, and since Stefano said that AC needs to sell a lot to break even, I wonder how this will end up for them.
Ah, I see. They have said very little because they were really hoping to get on Steam so they wouldn't have to set everything up themselves, and that makes sense. I don't think they're greedy, just maximizing their investment and hoping that only a few people will balk at Steam. I see it as a major kick in the teeth, because 1) They've always done the registration thing the right way and 2) I supported them on Greenlight without ever thinking I'd have to buy it on Steam.
I hope they do well, they deserve it, but it's going to be without me for now.

I'm sure they need to sell a lot, but unless there's a major hype thing going on like there was with Super Meat Boy or Rogue Legacy, Steam is not a magic wonderland of sales. It helps a lot, but with all the cheap discounted games, the full price stuff is a less attractive option. I prefer to buy directly from them, so that they get all my money and that way, that makes me feel like a premium buyer or something, like I did with Fez, Games Stock Car 2012 and countless others.

As for 1.0, I'm sure most of the announced cars and all the tracks bar Spa will be included, with AI and multiplayer, so I'm not really worried about that. Have some confidence! I actually only mind the price because it's on Steam. If I pay between 50 and 100$ for a game, I better own it, instead of having on a "service platform". Steam is fine for cheap throwaway games, but not for something like this. Besides, if it's one of these games that must be installed in C:, my SSD is already too full for it. :p

True, but at some point the dl would finish and one could play, but I'm just wondering what the cause of these Steam issues are as it's one of the most reliable software from my POV.
I have found it mostly reliable too, but I can't get over the fact that you don't own what you pay for, and that's a big problem for games I'd like to keep for a very long time, like Assetto Corsa, which will probably end up costing a lot of money. Personally, I have had some connection problems, and because the "help desk" was only canned messages, I just had to hope that a subsequent update would fix the problem.

Well ... AC will be on Steam for sure so whatever beneficts they are receiving from Steam they will get them even if they add a non-steam version ... i think:thumbsdown: ... and of course you could allways choose steam if you want ... like i said many times already ... it would be just another option

Edit: and yes ... im still aware of all the money and worktime with website, customers, that they can save and use in development... this is just another point on the balance

As mentioned elsewhere - none of us actually own any software unless we create it ourselves. We only purchase license to use it as long as we abide by the terms of the license agreement. That is the standard industry-wide so that is a moot point regarding ownership of a game. There are many reasons why one could lose the right to use software.

The service going down or out of business or charging fees is another thing. Welcome to the real world where risk is ever present. All the more reason to treat each other with respect and civility.

As mentioned elsewhere - none of us actually own any software unless we create it ourselves. We only purchase license to use it as long as we abide by the terms of the license agreement. That is the standard industry-wide so that is a moot point regarding ownership of a game. There are many reasons why one could lose the right to use software.

The service going down or out of business or charging fees is another thing. Welcome to the real world where risk is ever present. All the more reason to treat each other with respect and civility.

There is one point, in that if you have a retail box that's not got a on-line register single use key, you then have something you can sell to others as an asset , Some EU countries say this is a right that consumers should have even with DL games. ( http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/01/valve-sued-by-german-consumer-group-because-steam-users-cant-resell-games/ )

This is why steam doesn't make sense for specific singular offline games, but for games that are likely to be regularly updated with mods DLC , and are largely multi-player based Steam makes perfect sense.

Driving simulators in general tend to be games that have infinite play time, in that they are not a defined single player plot that is boring after 15 hours, as a result I have not once sold a driving simulator second hand.

As far as I know, I will be able to install and play Civilization IV, GTR Evolution and Civil War Generals II whenever I feel like it, on as many computers as I want as long as the OS has a compatibility layer for these older titles. That's what I meant by "owning".

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back