SketchUp

It takes some time to work with this prg but it's great fun.
I wish to thank escpecially Martinez for teaching me the very basics, but you're proberly still not happy with my amount of object poly's :D
But you are very right to try to keep it all as 'small' as possible.

I found that working with jpg's in SketchUp is (for me) the most difficoult part. I mean to import a jpg in a model and mess around with those axes...

This is my first created house and I gladly want to get some critical comments about it. No mercy ;)
What I did: found some jpg on the Inet (more or less 2D) imported in a SketchUp model (just a square) and build it manual into a 3D model.

However I'm not too happy about the end result in rFactor, see pic (from left to right) Maybe something to do with sun&shadows ? too gray imo. Btw on the right side of the building, wich you can't see, it's brighter.
sketch_model_as_001.jpg

SketchUp/Blender/3dsMax

Could it be more smart instead of learning Blender start directly with 3dsMax ?

I mean, I know that (some) trackbuilders are using Maya (quit similair to 3dsMax)
to create tracks etc. without BTB.

tia

Could it be more smart instead of learning Blender start directly with 3dsMax ?

SketchUp = free
Blender = free
3dsMax = $3,495
Maya = $3,495

Now that's a huge incentive to put up with quirks and converters unless you're a professional. I like using SketchUp for knocking out simple objects and then texturing them in 3DSimEd for use with BTB. Blender has more capabilities and is appropriate for more complex objects.

Well yes because it is more widely used, but Blender now does nearly everything 3Dstudiomax does, so Blender takes it for me at the moment.

Just search 'Big Buck Bunny' - this animated movie was made completely in Blender, showing how powerful it is. It is an incredible piece of software.

Too bad its interface is absolutely horrid. (Mac user here, and though I like the program's idea, it looks like it was designed by some Windows or Linux dudes, who generally have absolutely zero clue about interface design!)

Not bad :) I would still remove a half of the faces, so the cross-sections of these rails could look like letter L (upside down). If you do so, you won't probably notice any difference ;) (unless you want to wash your car in the pool)
(remember to remove also "empty" egdes too!)

just some 170 entities ;) Not as beautifull as Mianiak with Blender.
Mine has 42 polys each (84 all up) and is 6 sided. I recommend making a pole a minimum of 5 sides, preferably make it 6 sides but no more than 8.

In your rails, the top bit only really needs to be 3 or 4 sections, you have 7 or 8, you can see that my whole model has 7 sections all up.
Also something else to take into consideration, don't go overboard on the amount of sides you use, (I dunno how to explain this well) If you have a curving tube like a steering wheel for example and if you give it too many sides, you will see a kink in the smoothing for each section, the less sides you give the tube, the less sections you need to use, but you have to give it enough sides to make it round.

These are the little tricks you can use, when making something round, its a battle between the smoothing and the polys, you have to find a good medium.

Attachments

• pool_rail_blender.jpg
    pool_rail_blender.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 183

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back