Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa.jpg

In today’s edition of ‘Sim Discussion Monday’ we talk about all things Assetto Corsa!

Love it or loathe it Assetto Corsa has quickly become one of the most popular racing simulations of the modern sim racing landscape. Bathed in exotic licences the likes of Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini all pitched together on laserscanned tracks, with high quality graphics and physics and a vibrant modding scene, Assetto Corsa from Kunos Simulazioni has very quickly picked up the mantle once held so tightly by Image Space Incorporated and the venerable rFactor platform.

However despite the popularity of the software Assetto Corsa still lacks many of the features considered essential in a modern racing title (think day / night transition, weather and driver swops), leaving many to feel the sim is so close to the top of the mountain, yet just falling short as it scales the summit.

Now in its third year of development, let’s use this article as an opportunity to discuss the game, share tips on optimising the experience on screen and through the wheel, highlight some great content and basically just talk about anything and everything Assetto Corsa!

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 3.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 5.jpg

• Deleted member 113561

Best phyiscs? And that opinion is based on what? Marketinginfos? Stomach feeling?:whistling:
It is in the original quote but for you I repeat it again:
rFactor 2 has (from the released Sims) the best physics by far atm. Maybe Project CARS 2 will be better (cause Livetrack 3.0). Both are calculating the physics dynamically. Assetto Corsa uses table based physics which is massively inferior (it can produce good results though, Assetto Corsa is a very good example of that).
Adding to that:
rF2 and PC1/2 have highest physics tick rate and most accurate thermodynamic model as well as chassis flex. The technology in rFactor and PCARS (especially 2) is massively superior to every other sim out there at the moment (why was already mentioned). It doesn't mean its a better experience though, that you always have to keep in mind! But from a pure physics standpoint Assetto Corsa is inferior.

Maybe one day you can come up with your own sentences instead of just 1:1 copying others.

Seeing as rF2 forms the basis for multiple Formula 1 simulators and that AC is NOT currently doing this, would suggest that rF2 indeed is more desirable in terms of simulation accuracy.
rFactor Pro - rF2 is a cutdown version of that. But in its core this sentence is absolutely correct.
But don't tell that iRacing or Assetto Corsa fanboys ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't actually asked anything and don't need any answers. It was just funny how you answered "Best phyiscs? And that opinion is based on what? Marketinginfos? Stomach feeling?" to a guy who said AC has best physics and right after that you said same thing about some othrer game. So I just asked same thing from you.

Reactions: mms
Thanks @neuer31 for the info on differences in physics engines between rf2 and AC I didn't know that. I guess that's why AC feels more 'soggy' than the super sharp feeling of RF2 ffb, or am I mixing up concepts here?

you're simply falling for a guy that has no clue of what he's talking about, plenty of them around the internet you'd better get used to it fast.
Such a shame that discussions that could be informative and interesting have to turn into pissing contests because of people like that... but this is the reality we have to live with sadly.

Last edited:

Adding to that:
rF2 and PC1/2 have highest physics tick rate and most accurate thermodynamic model as well as chassis flex. The technology in rFactor and PCARS (especially 2) is massively superior to every other sim out there at the moment (why was already mentioned). It doesn't mean its a better experience though, that you always have to keep in mind! But from a pure physics standpoint Assetto Corsa is inferior.

Maybe one day you can come up with your own sentences instead of just 1:1 copying others.

rFactor Pro - rF2 is a cutdown version of that. But in its core this sentence is absolutely correct.
But don't tell that iRacing or Assetto Corsa fanboys ...
rF Pro is derived from rF1, not rF2. But you are a know it all it seems, so no worries.

you're simply falling for a guy that has no clue of what he's talking about, plenty of them around the internet you'd better get used to it fast.
Such a shame that discussions that could be informative and interesting have to turn into pissing contests because of people like that... but this is the reality we have to live with sadly.

Would you mind setting us straight what the actual differences are then Stefano?

Would you mind setting us straight what the actual differences are then Stefano?

I'm sure Stefano can talk about his product. But asking him to talk about different titles is the same of asking anyone else to come here to guess how stuff are done in AC. He didn't code those.

Although I'd love to see him explaining the mindset behind of how AC works.

I have never seen the source code of RF2 so I will avoid writing nonsense about it.... common sense really, at least it should be.

If you have a more precise question about AC's internal working that won't require me to write a 300 pages book to answer I will happily do so.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back