Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa.jpg

In today’s edition of ‘Sim Discussion Monday’ we talk about all things Assetto Corsa!

Love it or loathe it Assetto Corsa has quickly become one of the most popular racing simulations of the modern sim racing landscape. Bathed in exotic licences the likes of Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini all pitched together on laserscanned tracks, with high quality graphics and physics and a vibrant modding scene, Assetto Corsa from Kunos Simulazioni has very quickly picked up the mantle once held so tightly by Image Space Incorporated and the venerable rFactor platform.

However despite the popularity of the software Assetto Corsa still lacks many of the features considered essential in a modern racing title (think day / night transition, weather and driver swops), leaving many to feel the sim is so close to the top of the mountain, yet just falling short as it scales the summit.

Now in its third year of development, let’s use this article as an opportunity to discuss the game, share tips on optimising the experience on screen and through the wheel, highlight some great content and basically just talk about anything and everything Assetto Corsa!

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 3.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 5.jpg

• Deleted member 205301

So many people mentioning the lack of dynamic weather system and rain...
In rF2 I bet most of you guys never or very rarely race in the rain (just like myself).

100% agree on this..
it reminds me the Lotus49 on iracing...everybody (everyboys I should probably say) was crying for that car, it was the most awaited, it seems like every simracer "absolutely need it" (imagine how they reacted when car was delayed twice^^), and when the car was released....they tried it, and let it down (too hard to master), now, since 4 years, there are less than a hundrer driver using it (including me) when iracing count about 20000 active drivers...
People are what they are, they claims something, and don't use it finally (kids behaviour)... we could says it's the same for the "astronomic" number of vehicules, they always want more, and eventually use 5-6, not much...
@++

It is amusing to hear how differently people view the Sims. Sometimes it comes down to time invested and tweaking FF etc...Overall, AC is easier to get set up with the right "feel" than many sims, except for iracing which has no options except min force and strength.

• Deleted member 113561

Rain is an essential part of racing, in fact it produces most of time very exciting races, where skill is most deciding. For night that is different, only very few races are at night in real life.

Afaik bigger rF2 leagues have live weather, so they experience rain races from time to time.

In rF2 I bet most of you guys never or very rarely race in the rain (just like myself).

Speaking of AC content, they have way too many cars and very little number of tracks. It makes me wonder if car licences are really so much cheaper than laser scanning a track or official licensed cars sell the game better.
Lack of dynamic weather systems and day-night transitions really tie into especially one type of racing: Endurance.

Either way, being able to race in the rain or intermediate conditions at night would still be awesome for the one-off race. It's a feature that's missing that they could introduce, but choose not to.

Not only endurance
Prettiest GT race of the year

And this is fun

Little machines exiting corners like powerfull cars thanks to wet/dry track xD

All this is sprint, it just happens, mother nature is part of racing
racing with weather in rF2 is fun, you need to keep an eye on the sky and watch for different type of clouds. If AC adds night and rain, with these graphics oh boy will be awesome

Seeing as rF2 forms the basis for multiple Formula 1 simulators and that AC is NOT currently doing this, would suggest that rF2 indeed is more desirable in terms of simulation accuracy.
Those simulators has nothing to do with a game we normal people are playing. And although those may be based rFactor pro they propably use their own physics.

Not only endurance
Prettiest GT race of the year

And this is fun

Little machines exiting corners like powerfull cars thanks to wet/dry track xD

All this is sprint, it just happens, mother nature is part of racing
racing with weather in rF2 is fun, you need to keep an eye on the sky and watch for different type of clouds. If AC adds night and rain, with these graphics oh boy will be awesome

I agree.

Also a nice little heads up from a pit crew / spotter regarding the changing conditions would add many layers of depth.

I love the Jimmy Johnson spotter pack for iracing, I don't know if it's all in context but I really enjoy their comments. Obviously Murray walker would be epic. I wonder if assetto corsa could be modded for this? Probably.

Those simulators has nothing to do with a game we normal people are playing. And although those may be based rFactor pro they propably use their own physics.
It's all probabilities. None of us know for sure. We can only talk from what the actual pros tells us. And to me, the fact that rF2 is used in this way implies (IMO) that it's the better platform for accurate simulation.
But if AC is what you prefere to drive and it feels more enjoyable to you or whoever, man that's great for you :) I'm not critisizing. Only talking on my own behalf.

Could you explain more? I've been playing AC in league since 2014, and one of the major complaints still the collision system. I can't see soft touches (that sometimes are normal on motorsports) end up well on AC. My impression is that the touched car lacks weight.
Of course mate. What I mean is the before net collision fix the cars bounced like a tennis ball even by soft touches. After they have fixed it its still not perfect but its really ok and more believable for me now. Please don't ask me with which version Kunos have fixed it. You can have very close also with soft touches and the things you've describe will not happen. Its my experience in multiplayer (95% online racer).

I like the challenge, wet night racing is the ultimate conditions for racing. Doing a 2 hour race, with weather at 12 times, and time at 12 times depending on ratio. Turn all the assists off just you and the car. This is what racing is all about, Okay helps having a wet weather tune, soft rear end for more grip etc: ....
But random weather is a bonus too me they just need to figure out how to drop the fog cuz they don't race anymore in it. Mist ok because it clears quick.
Me as you prob can tell where my Racing is taking me. Back to where I really started not long ago.

Of course mate. What I mean is the before net collision fix the cars bounced like a tennis ball even by soft touches. After they have fixed it its still not perfect but its really ok and more believable for me now. Please don't ask me with which version Kunos have fixed it. You can have very close also with soft touches and the things you've describe will not happen. Its my experience in multiplayer (95% online racer).

I won't say that your opinion is wrong, but I'll give you an example that happened to me last Sunday. Around 14:10 the race starts and I'm the blue Alfa that is in 5th, when the green light appeared, someone slightly touched my car, and you can see how shaky I was when that happened.

I won't say that your opinion is wrong, but I'll give you an example that happened to me last Sunday. Around 14:10 the race starts and I'm the blue Alfa that is in 5th, when the green light appeared, someone slightly touched my car, and you can see how shaky I was when that happened.
Its really hard to tell how hard and where you've got the hit at this race. Out of my experience is this important for the reaction of your car. If you get a hit at an angle from behind your car will react different to lets say you lean on the side of your opponent.
Its just my experience and it must be not the same for everyone :)

Reactions: mms
Agree with much of the praise and criticism raised about AC. One other criticism I didn't see is:

- contact with other cars physics. Can't tell you how many online races have been ruined by the smallest bump from behind which somehow makes some kind of explosive touch and sends your car wildly out of control. The other sims are far superior in this regards.

- kerbs are still really annoying in that they cause wild oversteer if attacked at all. In other sims they're treated the same as what real life looks like, ie. a bumpy, yet still grippy road surface.

Agree with much of the praise and criticism raised about AC. One other criticism I didn't see is:

- contact with other cars physics. Can't tell you how many online races have been ruined by the smallest bump from behind which somehow makes some kind of explosive touch and sends your car wildly out of control. The other sims are far superior in this regards..
Please have a look at the posts above of yours ;)

GTR2 online feelings hehe, I think it's hard to get a netcode to make you feel like you are hitting a solid object in simracing, most of them you feel like touching a pillow

Everything about AC says I should really enjoy it. Great cars and tracks. A decent tire model and physics / ffb. Really nice, smooth VR with super interior modeled cars.
And yet, every time I play it I'm underwhelmed and go back to rFactor 2.
Really can't put my finger on it. Maybe I'm just not giving it was enough of chance.
Someone recommend a car/track combo that I will find impossible to not like !

I feel the exact same as you. I do still play a lot of AC though, because when you're in the mood for a quick online race, AC is the only option. For all offline racing, I use RF2.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More leagues

• Prizes

• Trophies

• Forum trophies