Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa.jpg

In today’s edition of ‘Sim Discussion Monday’ we talk about all things Assetto Corsa!

Love it or loathe it Assetto Corsa has quickly become one of the most popular racing simulations of the modern sim racing landscape. Bathed in exotic licences the likes of Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini all pitched together on laserscanned tracks, with high quality graphics and physics and a vibrant modding scene, Assetto Corsa from Kunos Simulazioni has very quickly picked up the mantle once held so tightly by Image Space Incorporated and the venerable rFactor platform.

However despite the popularity of the software Assetto Corsa still lacks many of the features considered essential in a modern racing title (think day / night transition, weather and driver swops), leaving many to feel the sim is so close to the top of the mountain, yet just falling short as it scales the summit.

Now in its third year of development, let’s use this article as an opportunity to discuss the game, share tips on optimising the experience on screen and through the wheel, highlight some great content and basically just talk about anything and everything Assetto Corsa!

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 3.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Assetto Corsa 5.jpg

I'm sorry @Terry Rock, but you're talking about a step further. Nobody expects simulation to the level of weather multi million computer systems in a domestic computer. pCars did it decently (even considering all the flaws we all know about the game), pCars 2 will also do that. And you're reading this from a guy that has AC as his favorite race sim.

... Pretty much EVERY multi million dollar simulator uses Pacejika tyre model with data straight from the tyre manufacturers... these are the very same sims that use the "pro" version of our "consumer" sim for graphics and plug their own physics in; and yet, Pacejika model almost turned into a bad word in the simracing universe... go figure.

Correct me if I am wrong please but whilst that is indeed the case and most simulators provide the model as one of few possible solutions, I believe for motorsports/racing simulators other solutions are preferred. For road cars tho it might still be a favourable option. At least as far as I know. That might have changed but I doubt it.

Correct me if I am wrong please but whilst that is indeed the case and most simulators provide the model as one of few possible solutions, I believe for motorsports/racing simulators other solutions are preferred. For road cars tho it might still be a favourable option. At least as far as I know. That might have changed but I doubt it.

nope, pacejika IS the industry standard.

I'm one that would love rain and a full day-night cycle on Assetto Corsa, it would be one of the most complete simulators in my opinion.

I bought rFactor 2 two weeks ago and I can't get enough of day-night transitions, and random or configured weather on each session (e.g. starts with rain at 18ºC, then goes to storm and drops to 15ºC, then the rain stops and it gets even colder, then the rain resumes, then it all goes away and the sun is fully shining on the track and a beautiful drying line starts to appear which gives more grip than the outside line).
All the real-road/rubber build up/less grip on racing line on the rain/etc, is something that I feel is missing from Assetto Corsa and many other simulators, it gives me a full sense of immersion, specially with the full day-night transition.

I have 23 GB of addon tracks for Assetto Corsa, all the DLC, and a bunch of addon cars too, and all are of super high quality (sound, physics, textures, the whole package); but it does feel a little empty when there are some real life aspects missing :/

In fact, I believe this is what made me almost give up on Assetto Corsa and go full rFactor 2 for all my simulations. I wish Kunos would address these features, but I do understand that a relatively small studio has it's own priorities and that it might not be possible right now, if ever.

It does not, however, remove Assetto Corsa (or any other simulator) from that little special place in my heart, as I understand that no simulator out there is perfect and none deliver everything; while Assetto Corsa doesn't have the two mentioned features I'd love to experience in it, it shines in track quality; in car quality and quantity; in new features that were asked by the community and even some which weren't even planned; new and free cars added; the pricing which is very reasonable and far ahead of the competition; and so on.

Last edited:
Whichever one tire manufacturer provides data for...

Only Delft models are available for "pretty much EVERY" high end sim.
Even if individual solutions can be and are applied, or special derivations are provided and data is available for those, everything beyond steady state situations demands the SWIFT variants (semi-empirical) which though have limitations in comparisson to models based on the "first principles" approach (TaMeTire for example).

BTW "simple" brush models should not be confused with models which consist of a brush alike submodel in the contact area.

Anyways, there is a multitude of comparisson and research literature published by various institutions on the topic so it is not much of a controversial subject either anymore I'd presume.

That said given the numerous different limitations (hardware, data, background etc.) and demands our genre faces it is only moderately comparable to those applications.

So yeah wow, to each his own they say.

Also worth noting that except in specialty applications (simulating crashes for safety certification) the envelope over which professional car simulators expect the tire to behave is tiny. It'll be a range of cambers, temperatures and slips where they expect the driver to be during a good lap, it's not a generic driving simulator where you have to be ready for car contact, rolling over, brakes locked on grass, drifting half the lap etc. it's purely about putting down the fastest lap in the track limits.

I'm personnally a bit lost with assetto corsa: i can understand well where we are going to especially since the game is avalaible for consoles.

I feel that a i lost a good contact with the team in their communication about the dev of the game.

The question is where we are going to with assetto corsa? And the reply i can make since many months ist just : addind new content / new cars

What about the future of this game concerning the physics, tyres ( are We in final steps ??what to improve ?), career, multiplayer, ui and play experience, weather, other new environment possibilities?

I feel a lack of news, roadmaps and i hope that the month of september ( end of holidays) will bring us some ideas about the strategy of the game

I target easier what the studio 397 wants to propose for exemple
Add gt3 content
Matchmaking
Improvements of the game ...

It is the same for automobilista, certainly much more and they are not a lot of developpers

I hope that kunos will give us a clear road map in order to not lose the first fans (play since the early and was my first simulation)

Thanks to reading me
Seeya

I'm personnally a bit lost with assetto corsa: i can understand well where we are going to especially since the game is avalaible for consoles.

I feel that a i lost a good contact with the team in their communication about the dev of the game.

The question is where we are going to with assetto corsa? And the reply i can make since many months ist just : addind new content / new cars

What about the future of this game concerning the physics, tyres ( are We in final steps ??what to improve ?), career, multiplayer, ui and play experience, weather, other new environment possibilities?

I feel a lack of news, roadmaps and i hope that the month of september ( end of holidays) will bring us some ideas about the strategy of the game

I target easier what the studio 397 wants to propose for exemple
Add gt3 content
Matchmaking
Improvements of the game ...

It is the same for automobilista, certainly much more and they are not a lot of developpers

I hope that kunos will give us a clear road map in order to not lose the first fans (play since the early and was my first simulation)

Thanks to reading me
Seeya
Personally, road maps for development don't do anything. I think is more effective when an update is approaching and we're getting these clues, sneak peaks, infos about what's to come in the next days or next week. Or even the already traditional changelog Stefano posts hours before the release later that day. That is more interesting and effective than road maps for months ahead. One update at a time.

We already know that for Assetto Corsa the next game update will come with the Ferrari pack. After that? The devs will see after the update is released.

I think the company could have a private road map for the things they want to do next, but there's no point telling that to the users for things that will happen 3-6 month later. Things change, maybe devs want to add or remove something, so for me is better to only give the news when is close or on the day of the release.

Sometimes they don't even know much ahead as well. Surprises are nice. I think is counter effective to force the devs to give us road maps for the next months. Each company has their policy and methods.

Does rolling resistance come into physics conversation, never seems too

Low rolling resistance tires minimize wasted energy as a tire rolls, thereby decreasing required rolling effort — and in the case of automotive applications, improving vehicle fuel efficiency. Approximately 5–15% of the fuel consumed by a typical car may be used to overcome rolling resistance.

That is a glaring difference in rFactor2 , cars roll ( freewheel) unrealistic distances compared to other sims
In a F3 at some tracks you can coast a sector and still make pit

I think it has effect when lifting off into fast corners you feel more under-steer

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back